2GM Water hose

ridgy

Visit site
Just fired up the engine to test it for the first time since last year and water is spurting out around the side. The water hoses are looking a bit sad so may as well change them all.

Is there a spec for the hose? I see some individual hose parts for high prices but would something like this do?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334224958277

Laysula

www.stevehuntdrivinginstructor.co.uk
I used silicone hose on my 3 gm for the fresh water. Just bought some generic bends and a straight piece, plus a couple of metres of straight for the heat exchanger to the anti siphon and back to the exhaust manifold.

Attachments

• 01758762-1A0A-4DBB-86D9-BDB6BEE3ABF7.jpeg
    01758762-1A0A-4DBB-86D9-BDB6BEE3ABF7.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8

ridgy

Visit site
Ok an update on the leak turns out it's coming from a hole in the engine on the right side underneath the first injector. It appears to be a port that has lost its plug or something? I haven't found the offending item in the manual yet. Whatever it is it's not in use and nothing has changed since it was running perfectly last year.

The water is coming out in a pattern that suggests there is some sort of grate in there.

Refueler

Visit site
Most engines have 'core plugs' ... these are metal cup plugs that are friction fit into the engine block where holes (ranging from 1/2" to more than 1/5" diameter) are ... the holes are from the action of casting the blocks ... my Perkins has 3 of them ... my 2GM - I have no idea but will be investigating ..

Some say they are protection against cold and freezing ... that's not actually correct. But if any water is in the block and it freezes - it can blow the core plugs out.
But what usually happens - because the plugs tend to be 'forgotten' - the plugs corrode and then when ice or other occurs - the pugs corroded part 'blows' and it looks like a shower head ..

I assume this is what you may be seeing ....

To remove the plug - I use a bent nail ... pass through plugs corroded hole, straighten so that bent end now can sit behind plug ... lever the old plug out. Once out - clean up the hole ... obtain new plug and insert square to the hole ... I use a piece of dowel to make sure plug is straight and then tap it into place ... making sure the flat face of the plug is first - leaving the cup shape facing out.