Volvo Penta MD2020 dumped all coolant in bilge under engine

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
My concern is that the VP website seems to say that a new core for that engine is not available any more, and ‘has been replaced by a different part’. Might I have to buy a whole new heat exchanger, at VP’s legendarily expensive spares prices? In which case it won’t be worth it on a 22 year old engine, I might as well have a new engine fitted, which will then do for me until I’m in my box (I’m 70 this year……)

Am I misreading the website, and a new heat exchanger core is in fact available?

The marine engineer says they can be repaired sometimes. Does anyone please know a firm that can repair them?

if push comes to shove, and you do need a new heat exchanger, you can probably fit a remote one. Bowman (and perhaps others) make a range of such things.

Alternatively, Bowman might perhaps make a core that will fit, or can be adapted to fit, your current housing. (They may even have made, and perhaps may still make, the original core, which Volvo are not stocking for some reason.)

david_bagshaw

Visit site
My 2002 Beneteau Oceanis 281 has a Volvo Penta MD2020. I bought the boat new, and for the first seven or eight years I had the Volvo dealer service the engine every year, including winterising and spring recommissioning, then I used a local highly regarded ‘one man band’ marine engineer to do the same jobs.

On Monday last we found the bilge full of green coolant after our sail. The engine did not overheat and in fact we thought it might be running cooler than normal, as the domestic hot water from the calorifier was not as hot as it usually gets. The engine had clearly dumped all its coolant.

I’m a lawyer, not an engineer…….so I asked the marine engineer we use to take a look. He found that the cooling system was still full, so we think that raw salt water has got into the system somehow - he says most likely through a leak in the heat exchanger letting raw water into the cooling system.

He has dismantled the heat exchanger and taken the core off to pressure test it, which he believes may find the leak,

My concern is that the VP website seems to say that a new core for that engine is not available any more, and ‘has been replaced by a different part’. Might I have to buy a whole new heat exchanger, at VP’s legendarily expensive spares prices? In which case it won’t be worth it on a 22 year old engine, I might as well have a new engine fitted, which will then do for me until I’m in my box (I’m 70 this year……)

Am I misreading the website, and a new heat exchanger core is in fact available?

The marine engineer says they can be repaired sometimes. Does anyone please know a firm that can repair them?

Thanks!
I would suspect your calorifer, which has a leak on the engine coil, that heats the water. so it is pressurising the engine, and your coolant is escaping to the bilge, which has a little salt water in it.
Easy to check, , disconnect the plumbing to the engine, and run the domestic water system. check for a small water flow from the pipes. Common fault , winter frost damage.

TimfromMersea

Boat at West Mersea, Essex. Live in Wivenhoe, Esse
Visit site
That's a rip-off Tim, nothing here that would fit ? Surejust > Surecal Calorifiers
Thanks, but it’s not a job I’m confident to do myself, so by the time I’ve paid the marine engineer to adapt all the pipework, I might as well simply fit the direct replacement for the original one that Beneteau fitted.