Renovating Casper

kashurst

Visit site
Is the diesel tank a fibreglass component built into the hull, or a separate metal tank?
Does sound a bit odd to have that much diesel swilling about.

Alicatt

Visit site
It's a 120 litre metal tank resting on two wooden supports which are also supporting the beams that the decking was screwed to
IMG_8528sm.jpg

You can see the diesel oil against the stringer
IMG_8936smA.jpg

the long grey part is the engine bearer, there is a load of small stones under the tank too, the yellow pipe is a T off the water line
IMG_8970sm.jpg

Bouba

Visit site
The most likely place for a diesel leak is the engine....especially the return to the tank. But you have to check all connections and pipes from the filler cap onwards...if the tank is easily removed then you are very lucky, because even if it’s good it’s still worth inspecting, cleaning and even adding an inspection hatch. If it’s not easy to get out then your nightmare is just beginning

Alicatt

Visit site
The most likely place for a diesel leak is the engine....especially the return to the tank. But you have to check all connections and pipes from the filler cap onwards...if the tank is easily removed then you are very lucky, because even if it’s good it’s still worth inspecting, cleaning and even adding an inspection hatch. If it’s not easy to get out then your nightmare is just beginning
Part of what I will be doing tomorrow, the engine has not been run since December, and I mopped up as much of the diesel as I could before I had to leave I'll see how much is under the tank tomorrow.
Although the boat is not that far away it would be better back here where I have access to my tools without having to cart them back and forth.
Next week there will be not much done, diary is full until Friday.

Alicatt

Visit site
Checking under the tank I can find no leaks or drips, and the bilge there is still dry after a few days.
IMG_9018sm.jpg
It is dirty water that is coming into the bilge in the bow and that is coming in slow, a few hundred ml over night, not even half a litre, where before it was diesel.
The concrete blocks in the picture above are releasing the stored diesel back into the bilge too, a lot of the planks are soaked in diesel and will be replaced, with others there is no way to replace them without splitting the boat and taking the cabin off, and that is just too much work for me, it will have to do for now, I have done it before but I was nearly 30 years younger then, and this boat would have been 12years old then :)

The tank is aluminium and feels solid, I have ordered up new flexible fuel hoses and a Racor filter/ water separator. They should be here on Monday and I can replace the feed and return to the engine. The filler hose is hard and I will have to cut it off to replace it
IMG_9022sm.jpg

Bouba

Visit site
Checking under the tank I can find no leaks or drips, and the bilge there is still dry after a few days.
View attachment 173970
It is dirty water that is coming into the bilge in the bow and that is coming in slow, a few hundred ml over night, not even half a litre, where before it was diesel.
The concrete blocks in the picture above are releasing the stored diesel back into the bilge too, a lot of the planks are soaked in diesel and will be replaced, with others there is no way to replace them without splitting the boat and taking the cabin off, and that is just too much work for me, it will have to do for now, I have done it before but I was nearly 30 years younger then, and this boat would have been 12years old then :)

The tank is aluminium and feels solid, I have ordered up new flexible fuel hoses and a Racor filter/ water separator. They should be here on Monday and I can replace the feed and return to the engine. The filler hose is hard and I will have to cut it off to replace it
View attachment 173969
You might have dodged a bullet there👍👍👍

Alicatt

Visit site
If you want to renovate your 'tent' then have a look at this video.

Red sprayhood revival.
I have got some cleaner and waterproofing for it, just waiting for the weather to improve a bit to get it done, I got a waterproof canvas cover to put on the boat while the tent is off.
Meanwhile the bilge is drying out Yippee!!!

Alicatt

Visit site
If you want to renovate your 'tent' then have a look at this video.

Red sprayhood revival.
Just home now and had a chance to look at the video, wow! it's even worse than mine!
At least mine can zip out and leave the frame on the boat 👍

UltraMar is the stuff I got, it was not that cheap but is supposed to be quite good, I seen it on this channel:

Bouba

Visit site
Just home now and had a chance to look at the video, wow! it's even worse than mine!
At least mine can zip out and leave the frame on the boat 👍

UltraMar is the stuff I got, it was not that cheap but is supposed to be quite good, I seen it on this channel:
Whatever language that is I reckon I could learn....it seems it’s 20% English....and another 20% that’s sounds English

Alicatt

Visit site
Bouba said:
Whatever language that is I reckon I could learn....it seems it’s 20% English....and another 20% that’s sounds English
It's Dutch, sounds like it's from Limburg or Brabant, not 100% sure. Certainly not ABN (Algemene Beschaft Nederlands = General Civilised Dutch) which is what they teach in school here
It's not difficult to understand, but boy is it difficult to speak :)

Alicatt

Visit site
looking good. what did you use to clean the covers? I have to do the same in a few weeks.
Thanks, just the first treatment.
As per post #32 Ultramar, it's taken a good lot of the green and gunge out of the canvas but still needs another going over there is lichen growing on the top of the tent :oops:
https://www.ultramarxl.com/en
It was not that cheap, €80 for 2.5litres shampoo. + 2.5litres waterproofing. + 1litre of power cleaner, + spray can of clear plastic renovator, + application brush & 1litre spray bottle - that is a good quality one too with brass weight at the end of the pickup tube

Ouch it is a bit dearer in the UK! https://www.ultramarxl.com/en/collections/bundles/products/2-5l-complete-bundle this is the bundle I got.

Alicatt

Visit site
Day 2 of tent cleaning…

IMG_9156.jpeg

IMG_9155.jpeg
IMG_9157.jpeg
Clean…ish, they look a lot better now, just waiting for them to dry and then I can re-waterproof them.
I am glad I am using ground water as it would cost a fortune to take it from the tap to rinse the soap out of the canvas.
A question, how long do tents last on boats? This one is from 2008.

harvey38

Visit site
Friction and UV are the biggest killers of most covers. Their longevity can be maximised by keeping them taught to minimise rubbing on tubes, cabin sides etc caused predominantly by wind and as you have done, us a UV protector. Keeping them clean also,helps protect not only the fabric but just as import, the stitching. Those covers with clear panels in should be rolled and not folded, a good machine shop will replace clear panels if they become cloudy.