Our first year with lithium

geem

Visit site
Why the big drama with lithium? Why cant I go into the store and buy a kit with everything needed? Perhaps I need to decide how big a battery I need.Am told I need a thorough understanding of lithium.
You can just go and buy a lithium battery no problem. Its how you integrate the battery into your system thst creates the problems. Do you want to charge with the alternator? Do you have solar? Are you living aboard? Do you have large loads? All of these questions and more will influence what you do to integrate the lithium battery into your system. To charge lithium at high charge rates may need a new alternator, external regulator and a lithium battery that has a bms thst can communicate with the alternator external regulator. Victron produce lithium batteries that can do this but they are super pricey.
On some boats you can drop lithium in very easily. Others need a certain amount of rewiring. There is no 'one size fits all' with lithium

Laser310

Visit site
dumb question maybe...

I thought I read that, in general, LiFe batteries can be installed in any orientation one likes -but many of the battery websites don't actually say that.

Is it usually the case?

stranded

Visit site
dumb question maybe...

I thought I read that, in general, LiFe batteries can be installed in any orientation one likes -but many of the battery websites don't actually say that.

Is it usually the case?
Seems to depend on the battery, but most cells should never be upside down. Trouble is that apparently some batteries are built with their cells already on their sides so unless you know which way round, there’s ab50% chance if you turn the battery box on its side you will be turning the cells upside down. So need to check with manufacturers direct.

Laser310

Visit site
Time will tell I guess, but so far so good.

Did you do the design and installation yourself?

I would be interested in a system utilizing those, or similar, batteries.., but I don't trust myself to design and install it.

Is there someone in the Hamble River area who might do this for me?

I am afraid than anyone I contact will insist on selling me really expensive Victron batteries, or something similar.

stranded

Visit site
Did you do the design and installation yourself?

I would be interested in a system utilizing those, or similar, batteries.., but I don't trust myself to design and install it.

Is there someone in the Hamble River area who might do this for me?

I am afraid than anyone I contact will insist on selling me really expensive Victron batteries, or something similar.
DIY - with a lot of advice and reassurance from people on here. I was fortunate that most of my existing infrastructure was fine, needing only the addition of a dc to dc charger and some impressive looking fuses, so the actual installation was pretty easy - a few hours. Getting my head around it all took a bit longer. There is no way round that - you need to understand your system, whether you are doing it yourself or paying someone. It’s not as hard as some would have you believe, but you need to know enough to spot the bs, whether from fellow sailors or indeed some professionals.

Sea Change

Visit site
dumb question maybe...

Is it usually the case?
My understanding is that best practise is to have the cells upright. It's to do with vent locations and strain on the terminals, I think.
I was looking at a sideways installation but decided against it.

Zing

Visit site
dumb question maybe...

Is it usually the case?
I checked my manuals to confirm my understanding. Winston say to not store lying or upside down (Chinglish). CALB say to only install vertically. So if these two are representative of the rest then you can only have them in a vertical position.

The cells have vents, which I expect are designed to vent gas, perhaps in a situation of failure or severe overcharging and clearly they won't work if anything, liquid or solid drops onto it from being stored other than vertically. I'm guessing that's the reason.

That said, I have quite a number of LFP torch batteries, which are always kept on their side. Cylindrical vs prismatic cells and of course a different construction and without vents. Ask the cell manufacturer to be sure.

Last edited:

lustyd

Visit site
In reality it would be difficult to instal batteries upside down and have easy access to the posts (and its difficult to conjure up a reason to do so). Other than posts up the only alternative would be posts on their side or end.

Jonathan
I can think of many reasons. Quite a few boats have lockers with space above the access. Here it would be better having upside down batteries properly secured so you have access to the cabling. These aren't anything like as heavy as a lead battery so it's quite feasible. I can also see an argument to have batteries in two layers with all of the cabling between them to keep the runs short and tidy

rogerthebodger

Visit site
My question would be can a Lithium battery be fitted on their side to keep the Hight a low as possible with the terminals on one side

Like up under the deck head on each side on a shelf next to the inner edge of the boat side

lustyd

Visit site
My question would be can a Lithium battery be fitted on their side to keep the Hight a low as possible with the terminals on one side

Like up under the deck head on each side on a shelf next to the inner edge of the boat side
Yes as long as it's properly secured

Laser310

Visit site
DIY - with a lot of advice and reassurance from people on here. I was fortunate that most of my existing infrastructure was fine, needing only the addition of a dc to dc charger and some impressive looking fuses, so the actual installation was pretty easy - a few hours. Getting my head around it all took a bit longer. There is no way round that - you need to understand your system, whether you are doing it yourself or paying someone. It’s not as hard as some would have you believe, but you need to know enough to spot the bs, whether from fellow sailors or indeed some professionals.
i completely agree about the need to understand one's electrical system - indeed, everything on the boat...

In my case, I would be replacing nearly everything, as the boat has a bare-bones system now.

Batteries, Inverter charger, new alternator, adding some solar.., and all the little bits that go along with it...

I'm on a different continent than the boat, and I want it done soon.

I'd rather have a professional do it.

I'd appreciate any Solent-area recommendations.