Newtown Creek chocka today

benjenbav

Visit site
You can view the areas for which the NT has reponsibility on The NT Land map.
Looks like the majority of land is leasehold.
I'm OK with the NT having stewardship as they keep it open to the public. There is no access to the privately owned land around the creek.
Interesting map. And we should, perhaps, remind ourselves that - in this context - leasehold is very similar to freehold, save in its being limited in time - a limitation that has little real meaning when the amount of time is very considerable.

ImpImp

Visit site
You can view the areas for which the NT has reponsibility on The NT Land map.
Looks like the majority of land is leasehold.
I'm OK with the NT having stewardship as they keep it open to the public. There is no access to the privately owned land around the creek.

From that map:

Newtown River, Newtown - 174.25ha (430.58acres) The entire estuary of the Newtown River amounting to some 10ml in all its branches and with 4ml of the foreshore of the Solent, together with Newtown and Shalfleet Quays. The Trust controls all mooring and other harbour rights. Bought in 1965 through the Newtown (Isle of Wight) Trust Ltd, helped by subscriptions from the Isle of Wight Natural History Society, the Solent Protection Society, the Royal Solent Yacht Club and many private subscribers

Last edited:

B27

Visit site
People have been saying " it used to be nice, but it's usually crowded with idiots now" since the early 1980s to my knowledge.
It can still be pleasant mid week out of season.

Stemar

Visit site
I was there overnight on the way to Cornwall before a Biscay crossing. I have to say that as ever it was beautiful and magical and the wails of seals made me smile. If the NT ask for funds to keep the creek and the surrounds in good nick then I'm always happy to help. I have to say though there was a lot of weed this year - I had to spend an hour getting it off my rudders, drive legs and anchor chain .
And, in our case, the other day, the heads. :(

Stemar

Visit site
Can you tell us about the shallow bits to anchor in CS (draft of 1m or so, bilge)?
Go in, turn left and head up into the top left-hand corner. There's also shallow water up on the right (S), but the holding isn't fantastic.

Just make sure the tide's going to come back up enough to float off, or your stay might be longer than you expect!

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
New Inn's up for grabs. Let's run it as a boater's community pub!

Can you tell us about the shallow bits to anchor in CS (draft of 1m or so, bilge)?
Near the wall. There’s a bank there on the way in, it gets quite shallow, then deeper again. There’s always 2m of water where we anchor.
Maybe this will become clear when you are in there. I think Stemar is saying much the same.
IMG_6635.jpeg