Newtown Creek

davidmh

Visit site
Has anyone been into Newtown creek this season and used a visitor buoy, What was the overnight charge? Last fiqure I can find on the net is 2020 at around £25!!!. Makes me think I will carry on anchoring and make a sensible contribution.
David MH

onesea

Visit site
Has anyone been into Newtown creek this season and used a visitor buoy, What was the overnight charge? Last fiqure I can find on the net is 2020 at around £25!!!. Makes me think I will carry on anchoring and make a sensible contribution.
David MH
It’s a voluntary contribution as well, to an institution that last year had its buoys positioned to make the anchorage smaller than charted.

ashtead

Visit site
Bembridge trying to maximise yield as looking for a purchaser no doubt and unable to fund essential ground repairs I gather from harbour trust info seen . I haven’t visited this year but the harbour trust seems to have a number of issues with the couple who run the marina which really needs buying out by Boatfolk or suchlike or run by a body like Yarmouth maybe. I suspect days of lunching at Bembridge in absence of lifting keel migh not last for many years.

Ribtecer

Visit site
I can't imagine going into a marina for lunch. That's what my anchor's for. If the weather's too bad to anchor, I'm either not out there or I'm heading home ASAP and not stopping for lunch.
I would agree, but I wasn't the skipper!

Rappey

Visit site
Since covid two things seemed to happened. Firstly visitors berthing seems full a lot of the time and many boats are turned away.
Not so long before covid you rarely had to worry about a place being full and being turned away.
Secondly the prices seem much higher. It does create a wealthier clientel ? Keeps the riff raff away ..:ROFLMAO:
"Lets charge even more and the boats will come rolling in" :unsure:
I believe it was the management of concord that created the term "the harrods effect" . Charge crazy high prices and watch the public want the service even more.

Mark-1

Visit site
Since covid two things seemed to happened. Firstly visitors berthing seems full a lot of the time and many boats are turned away.
Not so long before covid you rarely had to worry about a place being full and being turned away.

Agree. Used to be you just sailed until you felt you'd gone far enough and there was always room somewhere. Since covid that's less often the case. (Although this spring everywhere seems empty.)

Also since covid you tend to have to book online and pay ahead. Before Covid they took the money when you arrived. So all the risk if your plans change are now on the visitor rather than the Marina. (Maybe that's the way it should be, but it's different.) I always assumed they used to effectively allow free last minute cancellation because if the weather was bad berth holders wouldn't leave the marina so they had no room for visitors.

(Am I imagining all that?)

I was in Bembridge last September and this weekend just gone. Love it there and it's the same price for me as a 2 man tent in the two nearest campsites to me.

dancrane

Visit site
It used to be a tenner to overnight on the beach, just inside Bembridge on the east of the entrance. Is that still an option for those that can take the ground?

Other threads that may be of interest