Loo fitting the time has come to fit a new loo

Rotordude

Visit site
The time has come to fit a new loo fitted to our boat..now John Bone has retired any body got any Chichester Harbour recommendations? (the boat is at Northney)

Stemar

Visit site
The only difficult bit is getting the pipes back off and back on. Since you're going to take one end off anyway, I'd get new pipe - the proper sanitary stuff, or it'll start to stink after a while. Brute force and ignorance, aided, if necessary, by a Stanley knife or hacksaw will get them off. To get 'em on, dunk the end of the pipe in hot water for a minute and slather the fitting with washing up liquid, and they'll go on, though it might still take a bit of swearing to persuade them.

lustyd

Visit site
To get 'em on, dunk the end of the pipe in hot water for a minute and slather the fitting with washing up liquid, and they'll go on, though it might still take a bit of swearing to persuade them.
Or better, use a heat gun and make them hotter than you think is sensible and they just slide on. I've not found hot water very effective and it doesn't get the plastic malleable enough whereas the heat gun gets it nice and pliable once up to temperature and makes the job very easy indeed.

Visit site
Thouroughly check the "new one" you are fitting is not cracked, then have to unfit it again, get it replaced,and fit it agaain.
I made this mistake many years ago!!!!

rogerthebodger

Visit site
changing the whole shebang Lavac to Jabsco.....(I hate Lavacs but have been putting it off until now)

I have both Lavac and Jabsco on my boat and much prefer my Lavac.

The only issue with my Lavac was the seat/lid seal and once replaced the seal all worked fine I also fitted an electric diaphragm pump in series with the hand pump and timer so it can be setup just like a domestic flush and walk away loo

New lavac seal hinge

Mine includes a feed pipe to waste tank and the 3 left hand pipes are outlets pipes for the waste tank the 3 right hand pipes are the inlet flush and the outlet pipes with pumps shown in series.

Tranona

Visit site
You think? Never seen one for sale or on a boat so it would seem to me that it's unusual to want one rather than the other way around.
That is perhaps because it is over twice the price of a Jabsco and the latter is perfectly adequate for most people - just not as simple well made and trouble free. If you go back to the days before Jabsco came on the market Lavac dominated the OE market in the UK as the alternatives were either poorly designed and made or very expensive.

You have not seen one perhaps because you don't look at the sort of boat that appeals to owners who prefer them. I have had both and prefer the Lavac but not to the point of changing to one if the Jabsco is working - particularly as my current one is the full size version.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
changing the whole shebang Lavac to Jabsco.....(I hate Lavacs but have been putting it off until now)

I understand they are not everyone's cup of tea, however, they are some peoples. It would be worth selling the bowl, lid and seat on here and the pump. If the bowl and associated set and lid is the Zenith model, slightly larger that the Popular, then they are no longer available and as such, could be a worthwhile spare part for someone. The bowls do crack and replacement with like for like is better than changing to the smaller Popular model.

Lavac Spares Kits

Just a suggestion.

lustyd

Visit site
That is perhaps because it is over twice the price of a Jabsco
Perhaps, or perhaps most people prefer Jabsco. Whatever the reason, Jabsco is clearly the massively more popular choice so my point stands that it's not unusual to prefer a Jabsco.

I'm unsure of what Roger thought he was achieving by posting a picture of an apparently urine stained new part and plumbing fixtures all over the walls, but it's certainly not swayed me!

Boathook

Visit site
Perhaps, or perhaps most people prefer Jabsco. Whatever the reason, Jabsco is clearly the massively more popular choice so my point stands that it's not unusual to prefer a Jabsco.
People prefer a jabsco as it is all they are used to. No one has ever complained about the lavac on my boat, even those used to a jabsco.
If I had a jabsco on board and it needed replacing, I would possibly fitt another for the ease of fitting back in the same place, but that would be the only reason.

I agree with your comments about Rogers lavac !

lustyd

Visit site
I suspect they aren't fitted as they cost a bit more than the jabsco
I don't agree money is a big factor here. The lavac costs less than a halyard. It's less than I spend on a meal out. The difference between the two is probably less than filling our fridge with food for a weekend.
In the grand scheme of boating, the difference in cost here is irrelevant. Far more likely is that Jabsco are common and parts are everywhere. I suspect it also helps that the toilet lid isn't a part of the flushing mechanism.

In any case, my comment was only that with the simple fact that Jabsco are the most common and successful it's clearly not unusual for a given person to feel that way. Just because you prefer something and see additional value in its design doesn't mean everyone else will even if you are right. Many people here are convinced that long keels and CQRs are the very best, but the market would suggest most people disagree.

Rotordude

Visit site
I don't agree money is a big factor here. The lavac costs less than a halyard. It's less than I spend on a meal out. The difference between the two is probably less than filling our fridge with food for a weekend.
In the grand scheme of boating, the difference in cost here is irrelevant. Far more likely is that Jabsco are common and parts are everywhere. I suspect it also helps that the toilet lid isn't a part of the flushing mechanism.

In any case, my comment was only that with the simple fact that Jabsco are the most common and successful it's clearly not unusual for a given person to feel that way. Just because you prefer something and see additional value in its design doesn't mean everyone else will even if you are right. Many people here are convinced that long keels and CQRs are the very best, but the market would suggest most people disagree.
My own view is they Jabsco are easier to maintain and for whenyou have guests aboard more idiot proof....when it comes to your final point I suspect the answer is found in thensytlings of the bard of Woking who observed "the public wants what the public gets"