Volvo 2030 starting woe

D&T

Visit site
I appear to have an intermittent starting fault

Went to the boat on Sat and when I turned the ignition key to position 1 all the lights lit on the control panel as usual, but when I turned to position 2, to start the engine, everything went out and silence (no click or anything). I turned off and re-tried, I had to do this 4 times, then everything as usual and the engine started. My initial thoughts were a bad earth, I could see 2 earth cables under the heat exchanger, both were tight. I subsequently started the engine numerous times, even the following day, without a problem, but the fear is it not starting whilst out at sea

Has anyone any ideas of a possible cause.?

Thanks for any advice.

VicS

Visit site
Dodgy key switch perhaps.

Its not good enough just to make sure connections are tight. they must be clean and tight
Clean and remake all the battery cable connections and the battery terminal clamps including the isolator switch connections and the earth connections.

Also the power from the battery positive on the solenoid through the harness connectors to the control panel including the fuse block.

Battery isolator(s) could also be making intermittent contact.

What version of the engine . One of the later ones or an early one with an isolated electrical system.

lustyd

Visit site
Agree, my 2040 was painted green before the negative was attached. I removed the paint and it was 1000 times better. I'm convinced this is the real issue behind people complaining about the relays :D

D&T

Visit site
Dodgy key switch perhaps.

Its not good enough just to make sure connections are tight. they must be clean and tight
Clean and remake all the battery cable connections and the battery terminal clamps including the isolator switch connections and the earth connections.

Also the power from the battery positive on the solenoid through the harness connectors to the control panel including the fuse block.

Battery isolator(s) could also be making intermittent contact.

What version of the engine . One of the later ones or an early one with an isolated electrical system.
Thank you for your help

My engine is a 2030D

I have electrical contact cleaner spray which I will use.

Last edited:

johnalison

Visit site
Although largely covered by a hinged panel, my V2030 ignition switch failed some years ago and had to be replaced.

lustyd

Visit site
@VicS maybe I’m missing something but both of those show the exact same thing and in the position I stated?

VicS

Visit site
Early versions with an isolated electrical system have two fuse blocks as described in the text, one in the positive and one in the negative, but it is irrelevant to the thread because the OP has stated that he has the D version ( I had not noticed that)

The second snip is the relevant one and illustrates your statement

D&T

Visit site
UPDATE: After checking all the connections, it was suggested that I tap the starter solenoid. The engine burst into life!, but required a tap, or quite a few taps to start most times. I ordered a replacement starter motor from Parts4engines, (at a fraction of the cost of one from Volvo and the replacement was a Bosch, same as the original) which arrived next day. Engine now works perfect.

Thank you to those who sent messages and replied to my thread.

Beneteau381

Visit site
Thank you for your help

My engine is a 2030D

I have electrical contact cleaner spray which I will use.
There is a common problem on some of these. There is a box iirc, above the starter motor. There are relays in there to enable earthing of the block on start and stop. They work loose. Just shove them back in
Oops just seen the starter replace. You may have sorted the prob by working in the starter motor area!