Stuck at Ilfracombe

Dellquay13

Boat at Milford Haven, Home in Chesterfield
Visit site
To borrow a Michael Caine quote 'Not a lot of people know that'
I’m not Welsh, I don’t live in Wales, but I do know there was a Rev James Jones type of zealot who convinced a lot of poor miners they should follow him to a sad hungry ending far from home.

How about the mythical ShangriLa/Avalon/Atlantis lost beneath the waves somewhere off Aberystwyth?

Dellquay13

Visit site
Bit more thread drift. I've anchored off Skomer several times. Usually, by the time we have left, my crew have seen their first and their ten thousandth puffin!
Don’t try anchoring at night without plenty of anchor light aloft or you get the very sad Twang Thunk of an unfortunate nocturnal bird catching your rigging

Last edited:

Bristolfashion

Visit site
I trickled charged 3 batteries all last winter, run lights, use a power wash from time to time, boil an electric kettle a few times each visit and have used about £10 in 15 months.

I seen Bristolfashions boat today with a bright red tender but no sign of him 😂

I get why you said the berth is narrow if your in phase 1, there’s more room up the far end by the tower.
Your close to Sainsburys and the Yacht club though!
Have you snuck in and taken the boom off while we were visiting SaltyMoose!

jwilson

Visit site
Bit more thread drift. I've anchored off Skomer several times. Usually, by the time we have left, my crew have seen their first and their ten thousandth puffin!
Anchored off Skokholm, went swimming from the boat, puffins within 6 feet of me. Watching them land in water was fun: some slowed down with wings - some just shut off wingpower at 2 feet airborne and tumbled in.

Dellquay13

Visit site
Anchored off Skokholm, went swimming from the boat, puffins within 6 feet of me. Watching them land in water was fun: some slowed down with wings - some just shut off wingpower at 2 feet airborne and tumbled in.
Skokholm, that’s a brave place to swim in all but slack water. Three weeks ago I watched the MH lifeboat go past to 2 divers who had been swept away from their support rib just W of Skokholm

Last edited:

SaltyMoose

Visit site
The skipper I had arranged to help transit Skomer is ill and won’t be able to help me at this time, looks like I’m going to have to do it alone. Must admit, it’s the one part of the journey I’ve been fearing the most but it is what it is and it’s probably meant to be!

Tomorrow is looking ok in terms of weather/waves to make some progress. I intended to go to Milford Haven from here but looking at tide times for tomorrow (HW 12:50 at Swansea) and the rough distance to Milford being 56nm (would take me about 9-10 hours) would mean that I would get there at around 22:50 which means piloting in to a marina in the dark, wouldn’t mind if I’d have been there before but also HW is at 01:34 at Milford Haven so I’d have to hang around possibly before I could even attempt it.

I’m looking at going to Tenby tomorrow which I should be able to get to In day light and casting anchor there. Looking at the other anchorages around there Caldey Island looks good, looks like it would provide protection from SW swell.

Would I be better off going Tenby or Caldey? Or would you suggest somewhere else?

Hoping to get to MH from there on Sunday and waiting for the Monday which looks like the best day so far to hopefully get through Skomer.

I also have an electricity card with about £3 odd on it which I won’t be needing (would probably last a month here at Swansea marina) if anyone would like it? Free to collect from H15 on Swansea Marina before I disappear at HT 12:50 :)

TwoHooter

Visit site
Would I be better off going Tenby or Caldey? Or would you suggest somewhere else?
I like Tenby. Others may think differently but I would choose Tenby Roads, simply because you can go ashore if you need anything whereas you're not allowed to land on Caldy Island and the channel between the island and the mainland can be a bit choppy for an inflatable.

Sorry to hear about your skipper/crew. You're not having any luck at all in that area!

SaltyMoose

Visit site
Weather better today, so we're off now. Best of luck with your trip & plans for the boat.

All the best and safe travels! Just about to go down to the front to have a look at the sea.

I like Tenby. Others may think differently but I would choose Tenby Roads, simply because you can go ashore if you need anything whereas you're not allowed to land on Caldy Island and the channel between the island and the mainland can be a bit choppy for an inflatable.

Sorry to hear about your skipper/crew. You're not having any luck at all in that area!

For now I should be fine for getting things from land, I have about 4 days worth of food, 20 litres of water and 90 litres of fuel.

I was more tempted for Caldey because I could see there were potential mooring buoys there marked on the chart. Do you know if they’re usable or are they privately owned?

jaminb

Visit site
Next time anyone inquires of the forum about transportation costs they need to be directed to this thread to watch how the adventure could unfold when they decide against the road option. Must admit I am a bit jelous of the OP's unfolding story - certainly character building!

Keeping going Salty Moose.

SaltyMoose

Visit site
Next time anyone inquires of the forum about transportation costs they need to be directed to this thread to watch how the adventure could unfold when they decide against the road option. Must admit I am a bit jelous of the OP's unfolding story - certainly character building!

Keeping going Salty Moose.

I did consider transportation at one point but after getting some quotes back and the hassle of having to arrange cranes and such either end and it all happening at the same time was quite the puzzle to put together.

More for me it was a personal thing. I’ve got the boat this far I’d have been quite sad to see it go on the back of a truck after going through so much. I’m here to learn to sail and sail is what I will do (weather permitting) :)

Once this is all done and I reach my final destination I’ll try and break down the costs/time for this journey and update the thread so people can see if it’s worth it but I’d certainly say the experience and knowledge I’ve gained from this is priceless.

graham

Visit site
I have been following your progress .One big learning curve by the sound of it!

This time of year I wouldnt loiter too long at Caldey or Tenby neither are great in a strong easterly.

Milford Haven estuary has various anchorages that offers you protection from all wind directions and 2 marinas if the forecast is really bad.

Good Luck

doug748

Visit site
.......Talk about thread drift SaltyMoose started the thread on his intention to get to Aberystwyth, which as far as I know has no Dylan Thomas pretensions.

True, but I can report, in the best forum tradition and spirit of scholarship, that Thomas visited Caradoc Evans in Aberystwyth in the 1930's. They:

".. they made a tour of local pubs, drinking to the eternal damnation of the almighty and the destruction of the tin Bethels" :giggle:

I don't think it made an appearance in any of his writing.

Wherever the OP lands for a pint, I would say DT probably beat him to it.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
All the best and safe travels! Just about to go down to the front to have a look at the sea.
There's a relatively low, but slightly steep swell from the SW.

Wind was on the beam for us so SW apparent.

For some reason, we made fantastic time under sail and arrived at Porthcawl at 11.15! We had 6/7 knots most of the way - it's neaps and I thought that the currents in Swansea bay were weak - if anyone can explain what we did right - we'll do it again! 😀

Best of luck

Dellquay13

Visit site
It’s probably too late for the OP, but you don’t have to go into Milford Marina on arrival. There’s plenty of shelter in the haven and plenty of places to anchor. (I grew up learning to sail there!)
As we are on small neap tides, there is plenty of water in the channel to Milford Marina even at low water, the lock will be operating 24hr, and the haven is very well buoyed and lit at night