Stuck at Ilfracombe

SaltyMoose

Visit site
I’m finally here! Arrived about 30 minutes ago at Tenby, other boats here too which is always nice and reassuring to see!

I have been following your progress .One big learning curve by the sound of it!

This time of year I wouldnt loiter too long at Caldey or Tenby neither are great in a strong easterly.

Milford Haven estuary has various anchorages that offers you protection from all wind directions and 2 marinas if the forecast is really bad.

Good Luck

Hoping to only be here for the night and on to Milford tomorrow. If the weathers good I might stop at an anchorage just outside of it to make it easier and faster to get out on the next leg.

It’s probably too late for the OP, but you don’t have to go into Milford Marina on arrival. There’s plenty of shelter in the haven and plenty of places to anchor. (I grew up learning to sail there!)

Yeah it was more of the timing getting there from when I set off that put me off, I prefer to go in to places in the daylight because I’m on my own and it’s less to worry about if I can see what’s around me.

There's a relatively low, but slightly steep swell from the SW.

Wind was on the beam for us so SW apparent.

For some reason, we made fantastic time under sail and arrived at Porthcawl at 11.15! We had 6/7 knots most of the way - it's neaps and I thought that the currents in Swansea bay were weak - if anyone can explain what we did right - we'll do it again! 😀

Best of luck

Glad to hear you made it ok! On the way out was fine but 2 hours in to the journey it certainly got a bit steeper!

I think I saw you when I went to check the sea state at the beach, I’s this you?

Thanks, this will certainly help! :)

That’s a lovely stretch to sail if the conditions are correct. Once you get around mumbles head from langland onwards there’s some really nice coastline look out for culver hole near port eynon!

I had the sail out but not for long, I was being pushed more in to the middle of the Bristol Channel by the currents/tide and there wasn’t enough wind to help me correct it so had to get on the engine.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
If you havent got to Milford already, keep well inside St Gowans shoal, and be aware that the Turbot bank has a big swell at all time. If you cant be bothered with Milford you can wait the tide in Skomer South haven ( Jack sound is easy to do and easy to avoid). There is even an anchorage off Ramsey Island just above the Bitches if you go through Ramsey Sound. Warden said to use lifeboat buoy if we were unsure of our old ground tackle. Nice to watch the ebb through the Bitches from the Wharf - nice to go ashore also.

No doubt you will be studying tides and pilot book. Fare well

SaltyMoose

Visit site

I’ve just made it to Dale, arrived 19:10, I originally posted my intention to set off but looks like something bugged out and the post didn’t stick.

I’m currently anchored on the outer edge, quite a few other boats here so had to be mindful of chain length/boat swing, found a decent open space! Anchored much further in than the pic, took that on the way in.

Well done on your progress salty moose!

Every day gets me one step closer to home :)

If you havent got to Milford already, keep well inside St Gowans shoal, and be aware that the Turbot bank has a big swell at all time. If you cant be bothered with Milford you can wait the tide in Skomer South haven ( Jack sound is easy to do and easy to avoid). There is even an anchorage off Ramsey Island just above the Bitches if you go through Ramsey Sound. Warden said to use lifeboat buoy if we were unsure of our old ground tackle. Nice to watch the ebb through the Bitches from the Wharf - nice to go ashore also.

No doubt you will be studying tides and pilot book. Fare well

I originally intended to go Milford but had to set off later than I had hoped and got here in the dark so anchored up in Dale, didn’t fancy navigating a lock/marina I’ve never been to before on my own in the dark.

On the plus side being here I can escape quicker when the time is best for Skomer.

Tonight I’m going to memorise those charts and pilotage and come up with a plan for Skomer. Tomorrow is looking like the best day for a while to get around it to Fishguard or perhaps something closer depending on how much of a beating Skomer gives me. Must admit it’s the one part of the passage that has me a bit scared, I originally requested the help of a skipper who knew the area and had experience getting round but unfortunately he’s ill.

What do you think my chances are getting round Skomer tomorrow? I need to sit down after having something to eat and work out times/tides/etc.

Last edited:

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Skomer isn’t bad at all if you time it right. I did approach it once in very reduced viz with a bucket of wind up my chuff and that was a bit buttock clenching. However the rocks and island came into sight and between GPS & Radar I was confident we were safe.

Taking the inshore route saves a lot of time and miles. Just get there as the tide turns north…!

tico

Visit site
Say hi to Carpe Diem (Darrell - Blue Nimbus)and Huzzar IV (Chris- HR) anchored by the pontoon... friends of ours. Darrell will advise on transiting Jack sound.
Was in Dale briefly yesterday but needed to get back for the end of freeflow.

SaltyMoose

Visit site
I made it to Fishguard, arrived 20:00, had to crawl in because it was quite foggy. I missed the first window to do Skomer so had to wait until high tide.

Coming out of Dale and towards Skomer the sea seemed confused and got a bit lumpy but seemed to calm down as I got closer to Skomer.

It was over with quicker than I thought it would be. I started to crawl towards it and noticed the flow start to move north towards Jack sound so I just went for it.

The inside of it looked more like a river, boiling, I could feel the currents pushing the keel of the boat, I tried to keep the rocks lined up as in the pilotage and it worked but difficult to keep it in that line.

I just blasted through on full throttle.

Ramsey was pretty much the same except there where some crazy looking states of sea, patches where it was just calm, like glass but all around it the sea was spikey flowing super fast.

I got pushed through Ramsey super quickly, according to GPS I was being pushed through it at about 11 knots, it was over with before I realised.

After experiencing it I’d definitely do it again, next time will be on the south bound tide!

One more step closer to home :)

Emmark

Visit site
I’m quite jealous of this trip SaltyMouse I would never get away with spending a few weeks on my boat, my girlfriend sees the boat as her competition!

How long have you been sailing for?

Dellquay13

Boat at Milford Haven, Home in Chesterfield
Visit site
You got a problem - girlfriend or boat - not both.

Solution, new girlfriend or new lifestyle.
Please also consider compromise, positive involvement and integration?

My partner enjoys our time afloat and looks forward to it, even though it takes her away from her real interests of her horse and the garden, which I have willingly taken part in for a happy balance for approaching 30 years.

Please don’t lightly suggest choosing one or the other.

Last edited:

Dellquay13

Boat at Milford Haven, Home in Chesterfield
Visit site
I’m quite jealous of this trip SaltyMouse I would never get away with spending a few weeks on my boat, my girlfriend sees the boat as her competition!

You can encourage your girlfriend to join you, but your employer and mortgage lender might be harder to convince

Last edited:

SaltyMoose

Visit site

Make it her love too, get her more involved with it and and go explore the world together! :)

As far as sailing as whole goes I started to learn how to sail in May after buying a much smaller Trapper TS240 mostly by research, trial and error and experimentation.

Lovely little boat and the family really enjoyed the freedom and fun of sailing so we decided to get something much bigger.

We spent some time in Chichester after buying the Arpege and then took it to Swanage and spent some time holidaying floating between Poole, Swanage and Studland bay which was fantastic. Kids enjoyed fishing and swimming off of the back of the boat and collecting things from the beaches and digging huge craters.

Then I had to get this boat back home from Poole and so far that part of the Journey has taken about 32 days, roughly 2 weeks of that weather locked in to Ilfracombe.

Last edited:

SaltyMoose

Visit site
Let us all know when you leave Fishguard for last leg of journey to Aberystwyth.
Those of us in Cardigan bay might get a sighting of you passing New Quay head.
Congratulations on your journey so far, not easy for a 'newby' to sailing.

I’ll make sure to post before I leave! I was looking at leaving today but the weather seems to be kicking up a bit.

It’s forecast 20knts of wind with up to 1.5m wave height at 5 second intervals. HT at Abber is 18:50 meaning to get there I’d have to go at about 12:00 which with the wind/tide direction it’s looking like wind over tide conditions.

What do you guys think? Too much to bother or should I go for it? Last time It predicted those wave heights and intervals I encountered pyramids.

wingcommander

Visit site
I think the experience you have obviously gained with this passage we may be considering asking you for advice. Seriously I have enjoyed reading this post , every day is a school day when sailing and you definitely learn more single handed. Enjoy the remaining leg and well done for keeping us updated.

TwoHooter

Visit site
I’ll make sure to post before I leave! I was looking at leaving today but the weather seems to be kicking up a bit.

It’s forecast 20knts of wind with up to 1.5m wave height at 5 second intervals. HT at Abber is 18:50 meaning to get there I’d have to go at about 12:00 which with the wind/tide direction it’s looking like wind over tide conditions.

What do you guys think? Too much to bother or should I go for it? Last time It predicted those wave heights and intervals I encountered pyramids.
You'll probably be OK single handing in those conditions if you don't get seasick or injured or uncertain of position and the boat doesn't break in some unexpected way.

But speaking for myself, as an abject coward, I have found that when faced with a go/no-go decision a desire to ask for advice is a red flag, so nowadays if I feel like asking someone else what they think about a proposed passage I just stay in port. This yellow streak in my character has saved me several times when flying, boating, and making important business, investment, or personal decisions. To quote an old flying adage, it's much better to be down here wishing you were up there, than it is to be up there wishing you were down here. And here's another thing from flying. There's an itch called Get-home-itis. It's killed a lot of pilots and I wouldn't be surprised if its killed a lot of sailors.

At the risk of making myself unpopular, may I ask, did you check the keel bolts while you were dried out?