Stuck at Ilfracombe

SaltyMoose

Visit site
I was going to set off and try my luck, could always turn back if things got too uncomfortable and/or bail out at one of the other anchorages along the way.

Tried to retrieve the anchor but the wind is pushing the boat back too much and the cain is too taut, it’s a hand crank windlass and sadly not electric, never had an issue with it before but couldn’t wind the chain in.

Tried too hard and the handle popped out of the windlass and hurt my hand, definitely need to upgrade it to an electric one!

Tried to motor forward to slacken it off but by the time I got to the front of the boat and hands back on the crank it was pushed back again and taut.

Thought about lashing the tiller and leaving the boat in forward gear but worried about running over the chain and the prop getting damaged.

Tomorrow looking pretty much the same in terms of weather, Thursday looking much better. Hoping it is just the wind making it hard to get the anchor back and not the anchor stuck at the bottom.

I think the experience you have obviously gained with this passage we may be considering asking you for advice. Seriously I have enjoyed reading this post , every day is a school day when sailing and you definitely learn more single handed. Enjoy the remaining leg and well done for keeping us updated.

I’ll try to keep it updated as much as possible, and always willing to help people! If anyone has any electronics issues I can certainly help with that! :)

You'll probably be OK single handing in those conditions if you don't get seasick or injured or uncertain of position and the boat doesn't break in some unexpected way.

But speaking for myself, as an abject coward, I have found that when faced with a go/no-go decision a desire to ask for advice is a red flag, so nowadays if I feel like asking someone else what they think about a proposed passage I just stay in port. This yellow streak in my character has saved me several times when flying, boating, and making important business, investment, or personal decisions. To quote an old flying adage, it's much better to be down here wishing you were up there, than it is to be up there wishing you were down here. And here's another thing from flying. There's an itch called Get-home-itis. It's killed a lot of pilots and I wouldn't be surprised if its killed a lot of sailors.

At the risk of making myself unpopular, may I ask, did you check the keel bolts while you were dried out?

Maybe the anchor not wanting to come back is a sign, maybe I shouldn’t go. It was the fact that these were the same weather/sea conditions when I tried to cross the Bristol Channel that had me a bit spooked, but you’re right! If you have to question it it’s probably not a good idea.

I’m wanting to get home so much but not worth the risk, better to get home safely than maybe not getting home at all.

I tried to investigate the keel bolts when she was tied on to the wall at Ilfracombe but when I looked for them (assuming I looked in the right place) I found what I would assume were the keel bolts in the bilge? However, they look like they have been fiberglassed/expoxied over so would need to remove that to re torque them if needed.

Hoping to have a professional survey done of the boat to get a check list of immediate things to fix/service.

Tranona

Visit site
Don't worry about the keel bolts. From your photos of the boat dried out there was no sign of any weeping around the keel/hull joint. It is quite common for the heads (which are probably nuts) of this age of boat to be glassed over. They really are in there for life unless there is something like a severe grounding and then you probably have more to worry about than the keel bolts.

38mess

Visit site
You have done so well, I have really enjoyed reading your reports. It reminds me of my sailing days in my youth in the Bristol channel. Ignorance was bliss in those days, we just went and mostly enjoyed it.

I have done a bit of sailing in my friends dufour aparge years ago, really good sea boats and solidly built, pretty fast in the right conditions. As tranona says don't worry about the bolts, they are so over engineed they will be fine.
Some nice weather coming after Thursday.

Praxinoscope

Visit site
You may already have this site listed, flyuav.co.uk , but it can be useful mid Cardigan Bay area as it gives constant data on the weather in the Cardigan/Aberporth area, unfortunately it doesn't give sea state as it is designed for Aberporth runway users (but is used for the coastal weather station for the 00:50 shipping forecast).

Allan

Visit site
I was going to set off and try my luck, could always turn back if things got too uncomfortable and/or bail out at one of the other anchorages along the way.

Tried to retrieve the anchor but the wind is pushing the boat back too much and the cain is too taut, it’s a hand crank windlass and sadly not electric, never had an issue with it before but couldn’t wind the chain in.

Tried too hard and the handle popped out of the windlass and hurt my hand, definitely need to upgrade it to an electric one!

Tried to motor forward to slacken it off but by the time I got to the front of the boat and hands back on the crank it was pushed back again and taut.

Thought about lashing the tiller and leaving the boat in forward gear but worried about running over the chain and the prop getting damaged.

Tomorrow looking pretty much the same in terms of weather, Thursday looking much better. Hoping it is just the wind making it hard to get the anchor back and not the anchor stuck at the bottom.
I've never had an electric winch and I'm happy to stay like that for now. I sail a 36ft Starlight with a slightly oversized Delta anchor. Two bits of advice, both require carefully using the windlass to take up as much slack as possible. 1. Mostly for use in thick gloopy mud. Once the chain is tight go to the stern and wait, your weight coming off the bow and onto the stern will add extra upward pull on the chain. (Discovered off the beach next to Barry harbour) 2. Simply drive forward over the anchor to break it out or manoeuvre the boat carefully until the stern is into the wind and bow pointing at the anchor. You should then be able to break the anchor out in reverse without risking the chain on the keel. (Discovered after wind and tide above Portishead had set the anchor too well)
Thanks for an interesting thread, good luck with your new adventure.
Allan
Edit, I've just seen this, not read it yet but it may give you some bedtime reading.
14 tips for single handed anchoring - Practical Boat Owner

Last edited:

SaltyMoose

Visit site
Tomorrow looking like a good day in terms of weather/sea to make the last leg to Aber! Hoping to set off about 10:30 which should get me there in time for rising tide to get in to the marina before dark.

Just making dinner and then going to prep the boat ready for tomorrow!

Don't worry about the keel bolts. From your photos of the boat dried out there was no sign of any weeping around the keel/hull joint. It is quite common for the heads (which are probably nuts) of this age of boat to be glassed over. They really are in there for life unless there is something like a severe grounding and then you probably have more to worry about than the keel bolts.

I couldn’t seen any signs of damage/stress to the hull when I looked so don’t think it had been grounded at least not in any severe way but I’m going to get to a professionally to survey the boat and make sure everything is how it should be.

You have done so well, I have really enjoyed reading your reports. It reminds me of my sailing days in my youth in the Bristol channel. Ignorance was bliss in those days, we just went and mostly enjoyed it.

I have done a bit of sailing in my friends dufour aparge years ago, really good sea boats and solidly built, pretty fast in the right conditions. As tranona says don't worry about the bolts, they are so over engineed they will be fine.
Some nice weather coming after Thursday.

She certainly does feel a strong and solid boat, can always feel the big heavy keel righting her as she heels under wind/waves. She’s looked after me and I will certainly look after her.

You may already have this site listed, flyuav.co.uk , but it can be useful mid Cardigan Bay area as it gives constant data on the weather in the Cardigan/Aberporth area, unfortunately it doesn't give sea state as it is designed for Aberporth runway users (but is used for the coastal weather station for the 00:50 shipping forecast).

Thanks, I’ve not seen that before, the more information the better! I like to compare different sources and seems to always help build a better picture.

I've never had an electric winch and I'm happy to stay like that for now. I sail a 36ft Starlight with a slightly oversized Delta anchor. Two bits of advice, both require carefully using the windlass to take up as much slack as possible. 1. Mostly for use in thick gloopy mud. Once the chain is tight go to the stern and wait, your weight coming off the bow and onto the stern will add extra upward pull on the chain. (Discovered off the beach next to Barry harbour) 2. Simply drive forward over the anchor to break it out or manoeuvre the boat carefully until the stern is into the wind and bow pointing at the anchor. You should then be able to break the anchor out in reverse without risking the chain on the keel. (Discovered after wind and tide above Portishead had set the anchor too well)
Thanks for an interesting thread, good luck with your new adventure.
Allan
Edit, I've just seen this, not read it yet but it may give you some bedtime reading.
14 tips for single handed anchoring - Practical Boat Owner

Thanks for the advice, this has certainly given me a few things to try to get old Bruce back from the bottom of the sea! I have some heavy 20 litre fuel cans I’ll move as far back as I can to the stern to give a bit more extra weight to help lift the bow and hopefully the anchor.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Thanks for the advice, this has certainly given me a few things to try to get old Bruce back from the bottom of the sea! I have some heavy 20 litre fuel cans I’ll move as far back as I can to the stern to give a bit more extra weight to help lift the bow and hopefully the anchor.
That technique might not work on your heavier boat. FWIW we have an electric winch and have no regrets whatsoever.

Allan

Visit site
I don't think the you've understood. It's more about moving your weight from the bow to the stern.
Allan

SaltyMoose

Visit site
I made it Aberystwyth on Thursday! I was hoping to update the thread on arrival with lots of pics and vids from the entire journey but pretty much as soon as I landed my phone ended up at the bottom of the marina!

Thankfully I managed to get it replaced on insurance, just glad to be back!

I don't think the you've understood. It's more about moving your weight from the bow to the stern.
Allan

I understood, I just thought that moving to the back while carrying those heavy cans would help lift the bow even more.

Luckily the anchor came free from just cranking the windlass, I think the wind was just pushing the boat back too much the first time I tried.

I am wondering "Are we nearly there yet".😃🥰

Yes :D We are here!

Just want to say thank you to everyone for your help and advice, the people I’ve met and talked to during this journey have all been a massive help. I’ve learned a lot and gained a lot of experience and can now concentrate of giving this boat the love she deserves.

SaltyMoose

Visit site
Well done Salty I really enjoyed your journey and admired ability to keep pushing on in adversity. You do realise that boat love and maintenance is much harder than the sailing? Keep posting the great stories.

Absolutely and there’s plenty of it to keep me busy through the whole winter! Thankfully I’m quite handy with tools so should be able to keep the boat yard fees to a minimum.

Seastoke

Visit site
Salty as a motor boat owner , you have done great and so has the raggies who have gave support and advice . Once again thank you ,when you have time if you have kept the log book up you could rewrite with photos.

Emmark

Visit site
Well done on completing the trip, its been a great thread to follow.
No doubt you will have gained a lot of confidence over the last few weeks.