Gas regulator

PabloPicasso

Visit site
Is there a special salt water corrosion resistant calor gas regulator? Or do we just replace the usual regulator more frequently?

Martin_J

Visit site
By 'often', I mean I've often recommended them to friends who have subsequently bought there. It's not because mine have failed and been replaced 'often'!

VicS

Visit site
Is there a special salt water corrosion resistant calor gas regulator? Or do we just replace the usual regulator more frequently?
The Annexe M "marine" regulators are corrosion resistant.

They also have other features, such as an overpressure relief valve and a reinforced diaphragm , compared to standard regulators.

Reactions: GHA

PetiteFleur

Visit site
My experience - I bought a WHaward marine regulator from a supplier and it apparently failed after a few months, replaced initially with the original regulator that came with the boat and it worked fine. Spoke to WHayward Marine who said return it and we'll check. Came back to me and said there was nothing wrong with it, tested on different systems & appliances. They returned it and it's worked fine ever since. All I can think of is that it didn't like the winter cold at the time, even though the original regulator worked. Worked all this winter as well, so no idea what was the real problem. WHayward were very helpful though and would recommend them.

Refueler

Visit site
My experience - I bought a WHaward marine regulator from a supplier and it apparently failed after a few months, replaced initially with the original regulator that came with the boat and it worked fine. Spoke to WHayward Marine who said return it and we'll check. Came back to me and said there was nothing wrong with it, tested on different systems & appliances. They returned it and it's worked fine ever since. All I can think of is that it didn't like the winter cold at the time, even though the original regulator worked. Worked all this winter as well, so no idea what was the real problem. WHayward were very helpful though and would recommend them.

Winter is your clue ....

The ratio of Propane to Butane makes a serious difference to cold weather use of 'gas' ... the more Propane in the blend - the colder the gas can work in. Butane does not appreciate 0C ...
Did you change cylinder while they were sorting your regulator ?

Bodach na mara

Visit site
"Marine" = twice the price. 🙁
But it is required if the boat is to satisfy various regulations, such as the B. W. boat safety certificate, or coding to allow chartering. Also if you require a survey to renew your insurance, the discovery of a non-marine regulator will result in the requirement to fit one.

PabloPicasso

Visit site
Winter is your clue ....

The ratio of Propane to Butane makes a serious difference to cold weather use of 'gas' ... the more Propane in the blend - the colder the gas can work in. Butane does not appreciate 0C ...
Did you change cylinder while they were sorting your regulator ?
I had some guests aboard and put the kettle on. First time this year I've used the cooker. Regulator didn't work. I took it off the bottle and sprayed some penetrating oil into the hole in the bottom of the regulator and it worked fine.

Thought it best to replace it. But probably better to get the correct marine type, if i can find one.