Checking a boat history

Sea Food Junkie

Visit site
I have been given a boat that has been abandoned for years in storage and the land owner wants it gone. Can someone point me in a direction of finding out if the boat is stolen? I contacted the police and they was not able to help. It is a 20ft Hurley and I would like to know what the feedback is on this situation and any links that may help track its history.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
It was worth perhaps £1000 if in fair condition, but its no doubt not in fair condition

The storage fees plus disposal fees render it to have a negative value of several thousand pounds. If it was ever stolen, the owner will have either got the insurance money, or simply be pleased to have it off his hands.

Its abandoned and will have suffered neglect- but why on earth would you want it? The boatyard we use often burns such abandoned craft.

So possible new sail £2000 minimum, new engine similar or at least an outboard for £500, new rigging or you cant insure it - guess £1500? Plus radio chart plotter etc etc. Its a bit small for coastal work, though might suit estuarine use. Depend where you live

Last edited:

Minerva

Visit site
I have been given a boat that has been abandoned for years in storage and the land owner wants it gone. Can someone point me in a direction of finding out if the boat is stolen? I contacted the police and they was not able to help. It is a 20ft Hurley and I would like to know what the feedback is on this situation and any links that may help track its history.
Nobody in the entire history of mankind has ever stolen an abandoned 20ft Hurley.

As Oldmanofthehills states - giving it away to you for free just saved the old "owner" one hell of headache is disposing it.

Sea Food Junkie

Visit site
I did not want to put my work into this boat, only for the owner to comes and collect a nice tidy boat afterwards. My number one task is to find a mast, but failing that I will probably get rid. Thanks for your comments, as I am feeling less worried about keeping it now.