Re registration of a vessel from Guernsey (Part 1) to UK (Part 1) What is involved?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Fin 2

Visit site
Hi All,

I have a friend currently in the process of purchasing a vessel in the UK, it is showing as UK VAT paid but has been registered in Guernsey (Part 1), current owner is UK citizen but lives in Guernsey. Vessel is being bought in the UK through a broker but future liabilities are unclear and we're waiting back on confirmation through HMRC etc but thought I would ask if others have had this experience before?

The new owner is keen to have the boat registered as UK flag (part 1) what is involved other than UK VAT evidence, builders paperwork and previous owner details, is it a fairly straight forward process???

Would the new owner become liable for import duty although it is Vat paid would this be classed as an import although purchased in the UK? The vessel is for private use only and is 12.5m long with around 19tons displacement if relevant.

There's a few conflicting arguments online already causing us confusion and without easy access to the likes of HMRC for specific advise I would welcome any comments from those that have previously gone through a similar process as the new owner does not wish to leave the vessel as registered to Guernsey and does not want the threat of a hefty import duty on the vessel either.

Thankyou!

rich

www.portofjersey.je
Hi All,

I have a friend currently in the process of purchasing a vessel in the UK, it is showing as UK VAT paid but has been registered in Guernsey (Part 1), current owner is UK citizen but lives in Guernsey. Vessel is being bought in the UK through a broker but future liabilities are unclear and we're waiting back on confirmation through HMRC etc but thought I would ask if others have had this experience before?

The new owner is keen to have the boat registered as UK flag (part 1) what is involved other than UK VAT evidence, builders paperwork and previous owner details, is it a fairly straight forward process???

Would the new owner become liable for import duty although it is Vat paid would this be classed as an import although purchased in the UK? The vessel is for private use only and is 12.5m long with around 19tons displacement if relevant.

There's a few conflicting arguments online already causing us confusion and without easy access to the likes of HMRC for specific advise I would welcome any comments from those that have previously gone through a similar process as the new owner does not wish to leave the vessel as registered to Guernsey and does not want the threat of a hefty import duty on the vessel either.

Thankyou!
Why change the reg, nothing unusual to leave it on Guernsey blue book. Boats all over Europe are channel island registered.

SaltIre

Visit site
Hi All,

Thankyou!
Is your friend now buying the boat you were seeking advice about in the thread you started last week? :unsure:
Hi all,

I'm after some advise if possible, looking to buy a boat that is advertised by a uk broker as VAT PAID, the boat is registered part 1 in Guernsey owner is a C.I resident, if i buy this boat, what liabilities would i expect to pay, i.e is VAT paid meaning no further VAT is liable on purchase/ transfer from C.I to UK? the boat could have potentially been a uk boat when new and vat paid then but not confirmed, just shows on advert as VAT PAID.

Would this be liable to import tax to to the UK - boat is 12.5m, 19tons gross and purchase price of £145k so potentially some large additional bills could be the deal breaker, broker so far not overly helpful and i've not viewed the boat yet due to distance but intend to later this week.

Has anyone got any other experiences or issues to bear in mind?

I intend to re register the vessel to UK waters (assuming proof of vat paid previously is available otherwise the sale may not go ahead as it's top end of the budget). i believe this to be around £2,500?

Thanks!

Tranona

Visit site
Hi All,

Thankyou!
I am responding assuming this is "real", given that you have already posed virtually the same question and got clear answers. So I will just give simple comments.

To register on the UK part 1 you apply to the registry. You should have no problem (assuming the new owner qualifies as an individual) complying as the Guernsey registry transcript will provide sufficient information about the boat and its history, but you will need the Bill of Sale transferring title to the new owner and then apply to Guernsey to de register. There is no requirement for VAT to be paid in order to register the boat. Easiest thing rather than ask the question here is to simply call the registry in Cardiff.

VAT and import duty (if any) is payable on import into the UK if privately imported. It is the responsibility of the importer. However as already explained to you, UK VAT paid status can be acquired in more than one way so it is impossible to answer your question without having more details of the history boat, owner, and how it came to move from CIs to UK. In your previous thread I provided a link to the HMRC guidance that has the specific contact details of the department that deals with leisure craft imports. You should contact them with all the details about the boat and they will advise you on its status and whether VAT needs to needs to be paid before you can purchase it and and use it in the UK.

Also in your other thread another member has given you a detailed account of his experience importing a boat from the CIs. There is nothing more to add to what you have already been told without having additional information and it really is best to go to the proper sources rather than expect to get a definitive answer from a forum.

Blue Fin 2

Visit site
Apologies, for the repost of pretty much the same question, it is genuine! :) For some reason i was unable to see any further response to my original question from my last reply, but i now have the links kindly sent on in the other post which is very helpful indeed! If i can i will remove this post or at least that's it hopefully in hand and it can be archived.

Tranona

Visit site
OK.

If you read my posts#10 and 28 on the other thread that will identify what you need to know to establish whether it has UK VAT paid status but best to get HMRC to confirm once you have the evidence. If VAT has been paid on import there will be a receipt from HMRC.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Other threads that may be of interest