When is it time to scrape off antifoul ?

Bouba

Visit site
After eight years and eight coats of antifoul (always the same brand).....when does the panel recommend scraping back to gel coat ?....on a 34 foot semi displacement in the Mediterranean

jointventureII

Visit site
I did mine about 18 months ago, after an unknown period of time (I only purchased the boat 3 years ago) but at a guess, at least 10 years but if someone told me 20 years I'd not be surprised. I found 6 different colours on my way to the gelcoat.

Epoxy coated the bare gel coat first then antifouled. The antifoul has held up so much better, which I suppose is to be expected. It was, however, the most mind numbingly worst job I've ever done on a boat, and I've been inside a 10 year old black tank twice

I'd say just go by the surface condition. As long as it's relatively smooth then no need. If it's starting to roughen up a bit then it's time

Last edited:

Momac

Visit site
If its soft antifoul try sanding mesh used wet on a sanding plate on a pole.
It made the job of preparing the old antifoul repetitively easy and not too messy .

I would't know how well this would work on hard antifoul.

Screenshot 2024-05-06 06.40.02.pngScreenshot 2024-05-06 06.43.49.png

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
Edited: At first typing faster than thinking=typos to fix

56 years of boating and approx. as many AF treatments, several removal rounds in between until I decided some years ago, that 3 men during 3 long days achieving an almost good result, was never to happen again.

I can't say what will make you happy in the AF department, but to me a dry-ice blast (in February when I was working from my cozy home office), the blaster found the weather ideal. Texted me so I went down to the marina to look and realize that the decision never to remove AF myself, was a very good one.1714977792076.png

While approaching launch, in much better temperature than Feb., it got two layers of Primer followed by two layers of Thin film AF (same as and compatible with VC17, but an SVC private label called GTi30).

Thin Film AF's do not build layers and here (Baltic), re-coating every two years does it on our 31' planing (most of the time on a steady pace) mobo. Boat is on the hard during winters.

Last edited:

oldgit

Visit site
Princess 33 built circa 1980
Had one powered by a pair 145 HP 40A on VP 280T outdrives, basically the Vp 270 with added problems designed in .
It struggled to do 15/16 knots when we bought it and still struggled to do 15/16 knots after we added 6 years worth of added antifoul, the proper deadly commercial stuff as thick as tar.
The alleged top speed from new according to MBM report was 17 to 18 knots and probably done with a cup full of water and a whiff of fuel in the tank and almost certainly no junk on board.
Going to guess that none of the legion of previous owners had felt the need to remove A/F to go back to gelcoat.
Suspect that it will still being doing 15/16 knots today.
So with 44 years worth of A/F and bottom rougher than a cheesegrater it has only lost 2 knots.
Anybody going to spend a couple of K to get back those 2 knots ? :)

Bouba

Visit site
Princess 33 built circa 1980
Had one powered by a pair 145 HP 40A on VP 280T outdrives, basically the Vp 270 with added problems designed in .
It struggled to do 15/16 knots when we bought it and still struggled to do 15/16 knots after we added 6 years worth of added antifoul, the proper deadly commercial stuff as thick as tar.
The alleged top speed from new according to MBM report was 17 to 18 knots and probably done with a cup full of water and a whiff of fuel in the tank and almost certainly no junk on board.
Going to guess that none of the legion of previous owners had felt the need to remove A/F to go back to gelcoat.
Suspect that it will still being doing 15/16 knots today.
So with 44 years worth of A/F and bottom rougher than a cheesegrater it has only lost 2 knots.
Anybody going to spend a couple of K to get back those 2 knots ? :)
So….are you saying I should wait for another 36 years 🤷🏼‍♂️🤔

BruceK

Visit site
I asked Roy that once and he nearly had a coronary. The price of antifoul paint and the thought of scraping any off had him grasping the funbox keys like a rosary for emotional support

Daydream believer

Visit site
Although it does not work there is a lot to be said for coppercoat.
launch the boat clean at the start of the season. have it slipped & washed mid season
laid up at the end of October with a jet wash Then it just needs a clean to the prop & drive etc
A light abrade every couple of years
Better than all that work & once the initial cost has been made it is no dearer in the long run than expensive AF.
Pity it does not work as it is supposed to though

Bouba

Visit site
Although it does not work there is a lot to be said for coppercoat.
launch the boat clean at the start of the season. have it slipped & washed mid season
laid up at the end of October with a jet wash Then it just needs a clean to the prop & drive etc
A light abrade every couple of years
Better than all that work & once the initial cost has been made it is no dearer in the long run than expensive AF.
Pity it does not work as it is supposed to though
I’ve asked before but none of my local yards want to know about Coppercoat

Daydream believer

Visit site
I’ve asked before but none of my local yards want to know about Coppercoat
I have had it done twice & done it myself both times/ I also did my last boat myself. A clinker wooden boat sheathed in the west system which I added copper bot. Copper bot was a commercial failure.
My squib had copper tec which my crew applied & that was marginally better than coppercoat.

DAW

Visit site
I had the bottom of my boat blasted back to gel coat and repainted by Monaco Marine when it was only three years old because I wanted to change from soft back to hard antifoul. They said it should be good for a minimum of five years and a maximum of ten before it needed to be done again, depending on how frequently it's painted.

After completing the work, they recommended applying fresh antifoul only every two years, with light sanding to flatten the surface before application. In the intervening years their recommendation was to just lift, pressure wash and touch up any damaged areas. The boat still needs to be lifted every year for acid cleaning of stern gear and application of Propseed, but applying antifoul only every other year is obviously a big saving in time and materials.