What is this building in portsmouth harbour?

Adetheheat

Visit site
Its an ugly building but what is it for? I'm talking about the tall building on the left

Attachments

• 20240327_174947.jpg
    20240327_174947.jpg
    982.4 KB · Views: 90

capnsensible

Visit site
What was it like? How long did it take to get to the top ?
Used to do two ascents from the 30 ft chamber, swim trunks and lifejacket. Same for one 60 foot ascent. it's over quickly and the water is warm.

Next day, training and 100ft ascent in full kit. Still quick.

I qualified in training, great coz then you got Special Service Pay Submarines. Went back around every 4 years or so to requalify. Not used anymore though, not strictly necessary but has taken away a bit of a joined an elite feeling.

Scubadoo

Visit site
Used to do two ascents from the 30 ft chamber, swim trunks and lifejacket. Same for one 60 foot ascent. it's over quickly and the water is warm.

Next day, training and 100ft ascent in full kit. Still quick.

I qualified in training, great coz then you got Special Service Pay Submarines. Went back around every 4 years or so to requalify. Not used anymore though, not strictly necessary but has taken away a bit of a joined an elite feeling.
Interesting, out of curiosity, why is it not used anymore?

lustyd

Visit site
Now we know why you have your avatar...:D
While correct here, the tower was open to the public occasionally for diving so you can’t assume. I’m not a submariner but I have dived the SETT and it was fabulous. With divers down it was like a bubbling hot tub 😂