Temporary diesel tank

Ardenfour

Visit site
I will be moving a boat next week which hasn't left the pontoon for at least 4yrs. I'm pretty sure the tanks will be contaminated with water, debris and whatever else. I have to motor around 6 miles to be lifted out, and to avoid bad fuel causing engine stopping, I wondered if anyone could advise using an outboard tank as a temporary diesel tank? Would need fuel return facility added, but would hold 25ltrs, and I can top it up as needed. Worried about air getting into the lines as it lies flat. I also have some taller plastic containers which could be modified. I'm thinking 10mm plastic water piping led down through the filler cap. Any thoughts?

TernVI

Visit site
Any reasonably rugged polyethylene plastic can should be OK, if you can pipe feed, return and vent through the cap.

If the boat has 4 years weed growth, it could be a slow and low-mpg trip. I'd also be cautious about overheating the engine and some of that weed ending up blocking the water intake.

penfold

Visit site
If it's possible this is the best option. 4 years is a long time for marine growth to block things. Depending on current and wind even an alongside tow with a dinghy; you can shift a lot with a small outboard.

Any reason not to do a service on the fuel side? Thinking the tank is full of grot is supposition at this point.

Neeves

Visit site
I suspect the prop will no longer be a prop but a beautiful ecosystem of barnacles and weed. I'd be surprised and amazed if you can achieve noticeable forward motion against a slight breeze. I'd try the prop in forward and reverse before leaving wherever it is now and before you remove mooring lines. Nothing quite so embarrassing as an inability to move in a marina, or anywhere, in a breeze..

Tow it, or put an outboard on the transom (somehow?)

Jonathan

Ardenfour

Visit site
If it's possible this is the best option. 4 years is a long time for marine growth to block things. Depending on current and wind even an alongside tow with a dinghy; you can shift a lot with a small outboard.

Any reason not to do a service on the fuel side? Thinking the tank is full of grot is

Tanks are brim full - so full that diesel comes out of the breather when I run the engine. Which suggests to me that water has entered the Tanks via the deck filler. Subsequently discovered the valves on the tank transfer pipes had been left open. So it could be that fuel has flowed from the port tank to the starboard tank, which also takes the fuel return from the engine. Or they may have loads of water in them. I don't know.

penfold

Visit site
Are there drain taps? Alternatively if the outlets have valves you could loosen the pipework and take a sample, although without removing pipework altogether the small gap may only pass water and retain sludge.

There should be a law against boat fuel tanks with no drain valves, ideally from a small sump to collect water and sludge.

DownWest

Visit site
On the tank, a local garden centre has 20 lt poly tanks, like a jerry can. Cheep as chips and you can see the level to avoid air getting to the pickup, Use a rigid pick up tube or weight down a flex one. Stiff yard broom scrub round the weed line would help too. Maybe borrow a waterproof GoPro to have a look at the prop, or even get wet for a scrub. Water must be a bit warmer now.

Ardenfour

Visit site
On the tank, a local garden centre has 20 lt poly tanks, like a jerry can. Cheep as chips and you can see the level to avoid air getting to the pickup, Use a rigid pick up tube or weight down a flex one. Stiff yard broom scrub round the weed line would help too. Maybe borrow a waterproof GoPro to have a look at the prop, or even get wet for a scrub. Water must be a bit warmer now.
Exactly my plan ?. I have modified a 25ltr out board tank, adding a fuel return inlet. And will take camera and wetsuits for look underneath.