Single Handed Reefing

DOILY

Visit site
How do I stop the luff cringle dropping out of the rams head before I scramble back to the cockpit to put some tension the mainsail halyard?
On my Contessa 26 the halyard emerges from the mast at about 3 meters above deck level, then passes through a swivel block at the mast base organiser, then through sheave organiser and on to the rope clutch. I tension the clew outhaul at the mast, before returning to the cockpit.
I usually have to return to the mast to pop it back on the rams head, just at the time when I don't want to, and then hopefully try again.
TIA for your answers.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Fit a length of bungee ( as a loop)just above the rams horn such that you can hook it over the horn when the sail is in place.
Alternatively, have a short 4mm cord hanging there ready & tie it so it goes under the horn when you have the sail on & it will trap the sail. You can fix the bungee or cord to the mast a few inches above the gooseneck with a lacing eye pop riveted to the mast
You may need 1 each side of the mast for 2 reefs

Slowboat35

Visit site
Fit a length of bungee ( as a loop)just above the rams horn such that you can hook it over the horn when the sail is in place.
Alternatively, have a short 4mm cord hanging there ready & tie it so it goes under the horn when you have the sail on & it will trap the sail. You can fix the bungee or cord to the mast a few inches above the gooseneck with a lacing eye pop riveted to the mast
You may need 1 each side of the mast for 2 reefs
These are just the job.
75mm Ball Loop Sail Trailer Tie with Flecked Bungee Cord

Stemar

Visit site
Single line reefing with lines led back to the cockpit will transform your sailing, as well as making it safer. A Contessa 26 is a sound, seaworthy vessel, but not having to leave the cockpit to put a second reef in has to be a good thing. My first time out after doing it, I had one reef in and decided I wanted the second. Luff up, loose one bit of string, pull another and tighten the first, and back on the helm before the bow had time to blow off.

If you go down this route, use good quality ball bearing blocks - most of the "I hate single line" experiences come from cheap blocks causing friction.

Last edited:

Daydream believer

Visit site
Single line reefing with lines led back to the cockpit will transform your sailing, as well as making it safer. A Contessa 26 is a sound, seaworthy vessel, but not having to leave the cockpit to put a second reef in had to be a good thing. My first time out after doing it, I had one reef in and decided I wanted the second. Luff up, loose one bit of string, pull another and tighten the first, and back on the helm before the bow had time to blow off.

If you go down this route, use good quality ball bearing blocks - most of the "I hate single line" experiences come from cheap blocks causing friction.
I was going to suggest that but felt that it would just start the "Single line is rubbish, I like going on deck" types posting opinions.
The simple solution for the OP is to solve his issue in the first instance. But proper single line reefing to keep one off the deck as much as poss is certainly best. However, it needs an understanding of how to do it properly & how to reduce friction.Easy when one knows how. Some only half do the job, or do it poorly, then say the system is rubbish.

steveeasy

Visit site
Bit confussed here. If you set up single line reefing your tack will be connected to gooseneck and your luff reefing lines will hold the reefing points down.
If you want to hook the luff reefing points then use something like in the image below,it won’t drop off. As I’m just setting this up myself I hope I wond need to go to the mast to do this too often as I’m hoping the rope clutches will hold the reef in place. I’m actually using 2 line reefing set up to ensure the luff reefing point is pulled down fully. I hope!!
Steveeasy

Attachments

• 8D30FF02-C733-4808-9375-4DCB6C223668.jpeg
    8D30FF02-C733-4808-9375-4DCB6C223668.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 33

Daydream believer

Visit site
If you use a 2 line system, but without using the hooks , how are you holding the luff tight to the mast against the pull of the leech?
Also, may I ask why you think that a single line reefing system will not pull the luff right down?

steveeasy

Visit site
Hi
Single line reefing should if it set up properly pull the luff down, I don’t think I said it would not.

Two line reefing can overcome some problems with friction in pulling the luff tight.

In answer to your first question I suspect it comes down to how well the set up is and the lines used. If set up correctly there would be no need to hook or tie a reefing eye but it depends I suspect on sailing conditions.

I decided to use a 2 line system as I’ll be able to use and control it easier partly cos I’m adapting a boat that has used slab reefing and I don’t want to take the boom apart at present.

Steveeasy

Slowboat35

Visit site
Not really. The ball will get in the way. A neat whipped loop with the whipping at the lacing eye is far better Plus there is no need to pass the ball through the loop as the loop goes over the rams horn
What a prefect illustration of the perils of making wild and unwarranted assumptions! The ball does not get in the way. (In the way of what???) It is only there as something to grip! What on earth makes you assume the ball goes through the "loop" - whatever that is?
Bungees are permmanently attached to the ramshorn's riser (one each side to cope with 2 reefs simultaneously) by passing it's bight through itself and after the reefing cringle is on the horn the bungee is put over the horn too, keeping the cringle in place.

It's an excellent solution that's never let me down on several boats.

ps. The OP asked for solutions to stop his cringle dropping off the ramshorn, not how to re-engineer his entire reefing system so I doubt the plugs for single-line reefing are really relevant.

Last edited:

Egbod

Visit site
I have set the halyard length up in advance- You adjust the halyard so that the reef eye can can just be pulled over the hook but the stretch in the halyard holds it on. You then mark the halyard with a marker pen so that you always lower the main sail to the same position. Repeat for each reef.
So: lower mainsail to marked position. Go forward and put the reefing eye on the hook. Return to the cockpit and tension the halyard.

srm

Visit site
Either,
Set up single line reefing, or similar, so that you handle everything from the cockpit.
Or,
Have the halyard at the mast and a safe working system so you can handle everything while there.
Splitting the working area between cockpit and mast in order to put in, or shake out, a reef while single handed has all the components of a disaster waiting to happen.

Given the size of your boat I would prefer to work from the cockpit. On a larger boat I prefer to be at the mast. Have used both systems while sailing single handed and provided they are well thought out and set up they work.

Last edited:

Egbod

Visit site
This is my current system to secure the eye of the sail onto the reef"hook". There is one on each side of the goose-neck.
It is similar to the system used to secure the fold down sides of a lorry or trailer.

Attachments

• IMGP9503.JPG
    IMGP9503.JPG
    693.3 KB · Views: 27
  • P1210464.JPG
    P1210464.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMGP0078.JPG
    IMGP0078.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 25

TLouth7

Visit site
I have the same setup as OP and find putting reefs in singlehanded slightly easier than shaking them out (but neither is that hard). The trick (in addition to a marked halyard mentioned above) is judging how much to let the mainsheet off. You need little enough power in the sail that you can pull the luff cringle down to the horn (spactacles help as they are easier to grip), but enough power that the wind is tensioning the luff a bit and so pulling the cringle tight on the horn when you let go. Having reasonably low friction on the sliders helps here.