Siezed Outdrive Pin

pistonbroker

Visit site
.....and just remember you will probably will be doing this dance of despair sometime again in the future.
should be dawning now what method of propulsion ought be pushing that next boat through the water ? :):):)
The dance of despair lol. Yes no doubt, I'll put it in me diary for next year!

A shaft drive would be a nice upgrade at this juncture!

oldgit

Visit site
The dance of despair lol. Yes no doubt, I'll put it in me diary for next year!

A shaft drive would be a nice upgrade at this juncture!
Assumed that later versions of outdrives on newer boats would not now require such forensic servicing to avoid all the well known problems.
With 4 or 5 boats lumbered with outdrives ( from a total of around 80 boats )on our moorings only one is in regular use (a pair of 270s) and the owner would dearly love to see the back of them but simply cannot afford to change to something with shafts.
All the other boats with outdrives (mainly 290s ) rarely appear to go anywhere , the only time one of them has moved is to have the outdrives rebuilt yet again.

Recently had a natter with the skipper of a nice Sealine C 35, not sure what outdrives it has, it appears nothing much has changed and his next boat will definately be shaft drive.
IPS , all the old outdrive problems with a few new ones thoughtfully added to make sure the boat always has to come out of the water.
:)

Last edited:

pistonbroker

Visit site
Assumed that later versions of outdrives on newer boats would not now require such forensic servicing to avoid all the well known problems.
With 4 or 5 boats lumbered with outdrives ( from a total of around 80 boats )on our moorings only one is in regular use (a pair of 270s) and the owner would dearly love to see the back of them but simply cannot afford to change to something with shafts.
All the other boats with outdrives (mainly 290s ) rarely appear to go anywhere , the only time one of them has moved is to have the outdrives rebuilt yet again.

Recently had a natter with the skipper of a nice Sealine C 35, not sure what outdrives it has, it appears nothing much has changed and his next boat will definately be shaft drive.
IPS , all the old outdrive problems with a few new ones thoughtfully added to make sure the boat always has to come out of the water.
:)
Most of the time, certainly from my own painful experience, is that you're investing in assurance and insurance. It'll either be very costly in monetary terms, or worse if you breakdown or lose a drive at a critical moment - normally when you're berthing or in a lock! Personally the pain and expense is one of those things that come with a boat, but its heavily compounded by these drives. A guy next to me in the yard had shafts and he's been and gone already back on the water!. Plenty of downsides, but of course there are upsides and its all a compromise.

Sadly the later drives appear to require the same or similar amounts of attention from what I can see. The outdrives on that C35 are likely a similar era of design those on mine unless he's got joystick toys!