Portsmouth - Ryde hovercraft. Front page of CNN website today!

dgadee

Visit site
I remember hearing them in the fog between Dover and the continent. Frightening beasts. No idea where they were coming from. Best gone.

PilotWolf

Visit site
I used to meet ex from island.

Got to know the staff fairly well.

Stood there one day with one of the guys, when they went sideways and back into the water. His comment was straight out of a movie - ”… that’s novel”.

Only passenger operation in the world apparently.

W.

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
Helpfully though the Ryde-Southsea hover craft is frequently out of action for technical 'issues' and at least never carries cars.
I've used it many times and yes there are occasional breakdowns, but to be fair that is true of all the ferry services. Personally I love hovercraft and my grandad worked for Cockerell on the SRN-1, as soon as a budget belated became available for development. I am surprised CNN chose that photo when the USMC for example have armed and armoured behemoths to showcase..

Biggles Wader

Visit site
I've used it many times and yes there are occasional breakdowns, but to be fair that is true of all the ferry services. Personally I love hovercraft and my grandad worked for Cockerell on the SRN-1, as soon as a budget belated became available for development. I am surprised CNN chose that photo when the USMC for example have armed and armoured behemoths to showcase..
I am old enough(sadly)to remember when the first hovercraft arrived in Dover and landed on the beach. I assume that was an SRN1? I was very young but when they took off it flung pebbles everywhere and the crowd got stoned ;)

andsarkit

Visit site
I spent several years doing survey work with SRN6s in UAE and Iraq (Hoverwork was the commercial branch of Hovertravel who did the passengers routes). Reliability was very good and they could do 50 knots in a flat calm but as soon as the wind and sea got up the performance was severely restricted. Going sideways was quite normal as they have very little grip on the water.

Slowboat35

Visit site
The last thing you want in a peaceful situation like the broads (is Fritton on the broads?) is hovercraft. They are very noisy, fast and difficult to control. You'd prefer jetskis to hovercraft!

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
IMG_0647.JPGIMG_0648.JPGIMG_0649.JPGSkirts were the big break-through. Look at the SRN-1's huge lift fan, from which trunking directs the puny propulsion thrust over air rudders. Compare with today's vessels, with big ducted thrust fans, and far less power needed for lift.

penfold

Visit site
I spent several years doing survey work with SRN6s in UAE and Iraq (Hoverwork was the commercial branch of Hovertravel who did the passengers routes). Reliability was very good and they could do 50 knots in a flat calm but as soon as the wind and sea got up the performance was severely restricted. Going sideways was quite normal as they have very little grip on the water.
Hovercraft have similar ability to handle inclement weather as pretty much all other high speed craft of similar size and particularly weight, they are not notably bad.
The last thing you want in a peaceful situation like the broads (is Fritton on the broads?) is hovercraft. They are very noisy, fast and difficult to control. You'd prefer jetskis to hovercraft!
Hovercraft are only noisy if they are designed to be so(or rather not designed to be quiet); there are cruising hovercraft now that are as quiet or quieter than the average stinkpot, the first generation of inefficient integrated fan designs running aircooled two stroke motorbike engines with expansion chambers and fans running well beyond their recommended speed has locked them in the "noisy, smelly and anti-social" category for many despite technology and design maturity moving on in the last 30 years. They are not difficult to control, just different.

Slowboat35

Visit site
I can't imagine anyone ever designed a hovercraft to be noisy.
Indeed, it is surely self evident that the opposite would be the case. They aren't made by motorcycle designers after all...

Second, no capable designer would ever try to run fans 'well above their design speed', that would be inefficient, clumsy and downright bad design.

There is no reason why expansion chambers need to be involved. Silencer technology is far from an unknown art.
2 stroke engines are favoured in small hovercraft just as they are in lightweight fast boats for favourable power to weight ratio, hence the 2 stroke din, silencer or not.

Any high-speed fan/propellor capable of shifting the amount of air required for a hovercraft is necessarily noisy, it cannot be otherwise. Just as in aircraft/helicopter. All that max power engines and high speed rotatng blades simply cannot be made quiet.

Quiet hovercraft are beyond my experience, even though I have been around them from time to time. Do they really exist?

Difficult to control? Maybe I should have qualified that with "for beginners" but I'd have thought that for a fast vehicle that is about as controllable as a car on ice such an obvious cavil would be quite unnecessary.

Don't get me wrong, I love hovercraft and think they have a great future but I don't see then through rose-tinted specs with noise-cancellation in place.

Last edited:

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
The last thing you want in a peaceful situation like the broads (is Fritton on the broads?) is hovercraft.

Fritton village and Fritton Decoy (the lake) are outside the Broads designated area ('national park'), but part of the parish is within it. The exclusion of the lake from the boundary seems inconsistent with the treatment of other areas, but I don't know what history (or political jiggery-pokery!) led to that.

My understanding is that Cockerell developed the hovercraft (he wasn't the first with the idea, but was the first to make it work practically) at Somerleyton (only a couple of miles from where I am sitting writing this!), where his family owned a boatyard, and the first time one flew carrying a person (Cockerell himself, I think) was on some land nearby owned by the Somerleyton Estate.

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
Cockerel also designed Broads hire cruisers, I think his company was Ripplecraft. There were ideas floating around about squirting air out of many little holes in the hull to reduce friction, a dead end I believe..
I spent a jolly week in the 70's as helmsman of one of his designs, the Broadland Plover.
C45788C7-FC6E-43B8-A6E1-4E7BB56C6C6F.jpeg

PilotWolf

Visit site
Cockerel also designed Broads hire cruisers, I think his company was Ripplecraft. There were ideas floating around about squirting air out of many little holes in the hull to reduce friction, a dead end I believe..
I spent a jolly week in the 70's as helmsman of one of his designs, the Broadland Plover.
View attachment 120646

Interesting as I believe some cruise ships now use this technique to improve performance.

W.

penfold

Visit site
I can't imagine anyone ever designed a hovercraft to be noisy.
Indeed, it is surely self evident that the opposite would be the case. They aren't made by motorcycle designers after all...

Second, no capable designer would ever try to run fans 'well above their design speed', that would be inefficient, clumsy and downright bad design.

There is no reason why expansion chambers need to be involved. Silencer technology is far from an unknown art.
2 stroke engines are favoured in small hovercraft just as they are in lightweight fast boats for favourable power to weight ratio, hence the 2 stroke din, silencer or not.

Any high-speed fan/propellor capable of shifting the amount of air required for a hovercraft is necessarily noisy, it cannot be otherwise. Just as in aircraft/helicopter. All that max power engines and high speed rotatng blades simply cannot be made quiet.

Quiet hovercraft are beyond my experience, even though I have been around them from time to time. Do they really exist?

Difficult to control? Maybe I should have qualified that with "for beginners" but I'd have thought that for a fast vehicle that is about as controllable as a car on ice such an obvious cavil would be quite unnecessary.

Don't get me wrong, I love hovercraft and think they have a great future but I don't see then through rose-tinted specs with noise-cancellation in place.
In the 60s/70s light hovercraft were almost exclusively the preserve of the keen amateur; some of design decisions made in early craft were driven almost entirely by what was available and in any case what was desired for the most part was performance for racing above all else. Motorcycle and similar lightweight aircooled engines from snowmobiles etc, overdriving industrial fans in order to provide the desired performance at the cost of a lot of noise and premature blade failure, in order to feed high pressure skirts; none of which is remotely conducive to quiet operation. The likes of Barry Palmer of Sevtec lead the way toward quietness, use of 4 stroke engines, very large slow turning fans and propellors and low pressure skirts; his design ethos has lead to designs like the Otter which despite your doubt is very quiet, even at speed; it is possible to hold a normal conversation at cruising speed and there's no need for ear defenders.