One more knot and we will take you to court - Miserable Grumpy Poole Harbour Master

Obi

Visit site
Thick skinned, thick minded and still despite public opinion, morality, good principles of decency and the law being clearly against you, you think you have the right to break the law as you see fit. You need to take a long hard look at yourself. The sad thing is, that despite your years, you seem to have learned little of what it takes to be a valued contributor to a community, whether in port or online, and clearly have no comprehension of what makes a decent person and what does not. So, for you to even get started on understanding why you are so wrong, from an educational point of view, would be like trying to irrigate the desert. I can tell you are too sure of your ignorant position to even think about learning. It is your loss. You stay here and try to defend your illegal selfish arrogance, and all you do is entrench the negative opinion you have given of yourself.

No, I have not broken the speed limit in my boat. I value my qualifications, licenses, endorsements, and I respect the HMs and regulations and more importantly I am not an idiot towards other boat users.

Elessar

Visit site
Well there were jet Skis all over the place huge gin palaces making wash that would sink god knows what and some silly sod of a Harbour master picked on me in my 4.5 m rib doing about 15 knots in Poole Harbour in the main channel. His attitude was terrible so I simple looked the other way and ignored the idiot.

Given they have so few real powers he certainly thought he was Special.
Not sure if you are a selfish idiot on the water or a windup merchant on an Internet forum. Can’t see any other explanation for this post.

[2574]

Visit site
Yup big time………. Have you ever broken the speed limit in your boat. You know the answer of course and I presume you know the meaning of hypocrisy
My boat couldn’t break the speed limit….

under%20sail.jpg

Last edited:

ashtead

Visit site
It’s always sad when you read posts like that from the OP. If he wants to race stick to Soton water with all the lunatics on jetski and other ribs but just be careful not to hit any buoys or red jet ferries . I don’t know the harbour master concerned but he was just doing his job I guess and you clearly got caught .

dpb

Visit site
Pretty careful on behaving right at sea which includes obeying speed limits
To be fair, if the Poole Harbour authorities rocked up in military style launches bearing firearms like I have seen down your your way, less would be inclined to misbehave in Poole also!
Problem in Poole has been very sporadic and weak enforcement during working hours only. A few examples made each year (with heavy fines)
After 6 or 7pm its a free for all as locals know no one about.

nemein

Visit site
What a crass, ignorant thread. If you want to get a kick out of forum views to your threads why don't you join a forum for the type of boat you use, small ribs. Oh hang on, you can't can you, you've been banned for life from that forum?.

Portofino

Visit site
To be fair, if the Poole Harbour authorities rocked up in military style launches bearing firearms like I have seen down your your way, less would be inclined to misbehave in Poole also!
Problem in Poole has been very sporadic and weak enforcement during working hours only. A few examples made each year (with heavy fines)
After 6 or 7pm its a free for all as locals know no one about.
My motivation is more not harming anyone or other property.Being a good citizen etc . Proud seaman like in a professional manor .
It not the fear factor of officialdom down here in the Med , which as you say tend to be armed .

You may have seen a recent thread I posted which got a mixed reception on here relating to the Sardinian fatality.
Local coast guard banding about “ 40 knots overtaking in a narrow channel only locals use “ etc ….in the dark !

If they would have gone the safer , longer way in as per guide books and approached at a more appropriate speed the outcome I suspect would have different .

I have sailed ( raggie + mobos ) in Poole harbour many times so kinda know it .

Brown sea island nature reserve s etc no go areas etc .It the sort of place fraught with bye laws and easy traps like the 10 knots speed limits.Would have thought plenty of guides about on line etc to gen up on the rules etc .

No different to entering the bay of La Sepzia .
4B9A35D1-2609-42AD-9545-603B1DE1DEA5.jpeg
Its very shallow at the sides and there’s a speed limit.I followed that cruise ship ( yellow ) tender .
Various islands , shoals , muscle beds , anchorages , ships channels , Italian navy no go gunnery areas , barriers etc etc .

You read up and behave

ashtead

Visit site
Many assistant harbour masters are ex RN so obeying regulations isn’t difficult from them as we see at Portsmouth harbour with the QHM volunteers but they do keep the jetski under control

Alicatt

Visit site
My motivation is more not harming anyone or other property.Being a good citizen etc . Proud seaman like in a professional manor .
It not the fear factor of officialdom down here in the Med , which as you say tend to be armed .

You may have seen a recent thread I posted which got a mixed reception on here relating to the Sardinian fatality.
Local coast guard banding about “ 40 knots overtaking in a narrow channel only locals use “ etc ….in the dark !

If they would have gone the safer , longer way in as per guide books and approached at a more appropriate speed the outcome I suspect would have different .

I have sailed ( raggie + mobos ) in Poole harbour many times so kinda know it .

Brown sea island nature reserve s etc no go areas etc .It the sort of place fraught with bye laws and easy traps like the 10 knots speed limits.Would have thought plenty of guides about on line etc to gen up on the rules etc .

No different to entering the bay of La Sepzia .
View attachment 140761
Its very shallow at the sides and there’s a speed limit.I followed that cruise ship ( yellow ) tender .
Various islands , shoals , muscle beds , anchorages , ships channels , Italian navy no go gunnery areas , barriers etc etc .

You read up and behave
:oops: Just how fast were you going to be able to ride the wall like that?

;)

I have been pulled up for doing 6kts in a 3kt harbour got a row from the harbour master and never done it again, I had just let my dory stay in gear instead of knocking it out when passing the outer harbour at Wick. It was more about the wash my boat made at 6kts than the speed I was doing, the Titanic had a smaller wake than the dory :)

Tranona

Visit site
Are you so special that you have never broken a speed limit in your boat.

Perhaps you would explain how he could prosecute me. He has no powers of arrest cannot compell me to give my name and the boat has no name or registration so how would that work. He would need a Police Officer and there were none.

had he just told me to slow down all would have been fine he simply Had a bad attitude
Nothing special about me and no, I have never exceeded the speed limit in the 40 years I have been boating in Poole Harbour, although I did go faster before the limits were introduced. For the speed limits read the Notice to Mariners in post#8. It is 6 knots where I think you were. Even if you were in the 10 knot area you were still exceeding it.

And by the way when you were in Studland you anchored in the No Anchoring Zone.

Suggest you read up on the local rules before you come boating down our way.

It is precisely your attitude that gives activists the ammunition to try and impose compulsory registration and licencing - and they have a point. Speed limits are there for a very sound reason - just obey them where they are because there is still plenty of opportunity to have fun in your boat.

Last edited:

SC35

Visit site
Many assistant harbour masters are ex RN so obeying regulations isn’t difficult from them as we see at Portsmouth harbour with the QHM volunteers but they do keep the jetski under control

Apologies to QHM yesterday, I came in a little "hot" towards the harbour entrance. It was either that or get squeezed by another bunch of boats coming in from portside.
Hindsight suggests that backing off a lot earlier or even doing a 180 until everyone sorted themselves out might have been a better move ?
10 knots still has the potential to cause a bit of chaos.