Old Sails and SS Rigging

Slowboat35

Visit site
I've got a set of tan sails (main, yankee and stays'l) from a Tradewind35 that came with the boat as spares, plus the old stainless rigging.
It all looks to be in good order - is there any demand for such things?
What does one do with them? It seems crazy to put them into landfill.

Last edited:

Rappey

Visit site
I would say there is zero demand for old rigging as its a big unknown. Can weigh it in as scrap.
Used sails can be advertised on ebay or fb marketplace. Always a demand for used sails, even if its to cut them up and make bags, sun shades etc.
Old sails otherwise end up in landfill .

PetiteFleur

Visit site
You should be able to sell them on ebay. Must have an accurate description, lots of photos and luff, leech & foot dimensions. I've sold several sails this way with realistic pricing. I would list as Buy It Now with 'make me an offer' option and with accurate postage price.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
I've got a set of tan sails (main, yankee and stays'l) from a Tradewind35 that came with the boat as spares, plus the old stainless rigging.
It all looks to be in good order - is there any demand for such things?
What does one do with them? It seems crazy to put them into landfill.
The stainless has scrap value. Even if it has no significant price at a scrappy, the value is in the recycling. Scrap merchants are fairly universal so no need to send rigging to landfill.

Old sails are more difficult and there are schemes that support reuse, repurposing.

Upcycling sails.

What you can do with your old sails — Sustainable Sailing.

I don’t know if the above schemes are viable and in use, or just well meaning intentions. Dacron can be shredded into fibres used for fill and there is a process to recycle back to new Dacron, but it looks like it is still at a research stage and not likely available. Shredding of Dacron currently results in a product that once used, but no longer required at end of life (again) becomes waste and is more susceptible to micro fibre pollution. Hence, responsible landfill as whole sails may be the best bet i.e. dumping in a sealed landfill site.

As others have stated, if sails can be sold on, do that.

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
Depending upon the type and number of different fittings you have on the mast and chainplates, you might find useful keeping some elements from the old rigging to help make an emergency shroud/stay, if you plan having one onboard.