Nice little trip on the River Beaulieu in the Honwave

Bigplumbs

Visit site
When we cone to the Southampton Boat Show we always bring the Honwave T38. This year we had a nice little bumble up the River Beaulieu launching from Bucklers slipway. Video below of our trip. This river is certainly worth a visit

Seastoke

Visit site
When we cone to the Southampton Boat Show we always bring the Honwave T38. This year we had a nice little bumble up the River Beaulieu launching from Bucklers slipway. Video below of our trip. This river is certainly worth a visit

Is that you with blonde hair and Kawasakie steering with the hat on.

Ash78

Visit site

Nice video. We went to the boatshow today and are staying at The Master Builders (building at the end of your drone clip), good beer garden overlooking the river.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Nice video. We went to the boatshow today and are staying at The Master Builders (building at the end of your drone clip), good beer garden overlooking the river.
Yes we saw that. Looks like it has a lovely garden also

Sianna

Visit site
you were lucky, as it's a "no fly zone for drones", all about it being a privately owned river apparently, but lovely to see it from the air.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
you were lucky, as it's a "no fly zone for drones", all about it being a privately owned river apparently, but lovely to see it from the air.
Thing is it is not a no fly zone. People might tell you that but you cant own airspace. Airspace is controlled by the CAA and not the land owner. People love to put signs up and 99 % of the time they have no validity. Now where you take off from that is a different matter. I took of from a Public Footpath and was flying a 249 g drone so all was perfectly legal. Glad you enjoyed the shots from the air :)

paradave

Visit site
“ You must have permission of the landowner to overfly their land because drone operations take place in that area below that the level at which ordinary flight takes place. This area of airspace owned by the landowner”

From a quick search. Not that you give a shit about rules though so pretty irrelevant to you.

dunedin

Visit site
“ You must have permission of the landowner to overfly their land because drone operations take place in that area below that the level at which ordinary flight takes place. This area of airspace owned by the landowner”

From a quick search. Not that you give a shit about rules though so pretty irrelevant to you.
Where did you get that from? Is it in the CAA rules?
I believe that BP’s post #7 is correct. And the weight of 249g is very relevant (sounds like he was flying one of his Mavic Minis)

Bigplumbs

Visit site

That airspace is very low and I was well above that. You are wrong on both of the other items as usual. It is clear you don’t like me but at least try and get your facts right. I am sure your lovely green eyes would appreciate that

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Where did you get that from? Is it in the CAA rules?
I believe that BP’s post #7 is correct. And the weight of 249g is very relevant (sounds like he was flying one of his Mavic Minis)
Yup you are correct and old green eyed troll got it wrong. It was a mini 3 pro by the way. Excellent drone if you are in the market but the mini 4 pro just came out which is even better cost about £979 for the best combo

paradave

Visit site
That airspace is very low and I was well above that. You are wrong on both of the other items as usual. It is clear you don’t like me but at least try and get your facts right. I am sure your lovely green eyes would appreciate that
Apologies, I got that from a drone operator's site who obviously had it wrong. On checking the CAA site, it seems you are indeed correct as you weren't launching or landing on their land from what you've said (although we can see you in the boat park) . Interesting to read that drones with a camera require registering with the CAA, even <250g ones, I wasn't aware of that.

No green eyes here by the way, far from it.

Sianna

Visit site
So a bit of thread drift here but really interesting, am I getting this right, you can fly above private land providing you don't take off from the private land?

Bigplumbs

Visit site
So a bit of thread drift here but really interesting, am I getting this right, you can fly above private land providing you don't take off from the private land?
You can fly over any land provided the CAA has not restricted flight over that land. They generally restrict around Airports, Military installations and Prisons. The dji and other apps will tell you this. You can take of from any land provided you have permission or the landowner does not stop you taking off. If you take off without permission it is a matter of being sued for the damage you created. Which to be honest is Zero. If you are on Public land you can take off. If your drone is under 250g you have far more freedom where you fly.

Way too many people think they own the airspace above their property. There is a height that this might be so but it is very low indeed. If they did own the airspace how could any plane ever fly.

This is the simplified way it is. But generally at the moment if you take off from public land and fly say 15 - 120m high with a 249g drone you are good to go provided you dont fly into airspace restricted by the CAA.

No one other than the CAA can restrict airspace and certainly not a land owner.

Many will copy and paste stuff from the internet and disagree with me. That is of course up to them I know the rules as I have had to learn them. I also consider myself a very responsible Drone pilot. I have invested way over £15,000 in drones so it is a good idea to know the rules. but above all be sensible and responsible.

Generally perhaps one should ask what harm does flying a drone weighing less than 0.5 lb filming some nice scenery at a height where it cant be seen or heard do.

Last edited:

dunedin

Visit site

Sianna

Visit site
You can fly over any land provided the CAA has not restricted flight over that land. They generally restrict around Airports, Military installations and Prisons. The dji and other apps will tell you this. You can take of from any land provided you have permission or the landowner does not stop you taking off. If you take off without permission it is a matter of being sued for the damage you created. Which to be honest is Zero. If you are on Public land you can take off. If your drone is under 250g you have far more freedom where you fly.

Way too many people think they own the airspace above their property. There is a height that this might be so but it is very low indeed. If they did own the airspace how could any plane ever fly.

This is the simplified way it is. But generally at the moment if you take off from public land and fly say 15 - 120m high with a 249g drone you are good to go provided you dont fly into airspace restricted by the CAA.

No one other than the CAA can restrict airspace and certainly not a land owner.

Many will copy and paste stuff from the internet and disagree with me. That is of course up to them I know the rules as I have had to learn them. I also consider myself a very responsible Drone pilot. I have invested way over £15,000 in drones so it is a good idea to know the rules. but above all be sensible and responsible.

Generally perhaps one should ask what harm does flying a drone weighing less than 0.5 lb filming some nice scenery at a height where it cant be seen or heard do.
Thanks BP, I have a DJI Mini too (249g) I follow the airspace regs shown on the app, I wasn't aware of the rules re private land / airspace so thank you for the information :)

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Thanks BP, I have a DJI Mini too (249g) I follow the airspace regs shown on the app, I wasn't aware of the rules re private land / airspace so thank you for the information :)
No Problem. The laws re airspace have been the same for years. People just don't like them and think the air space over their property is theirs..... Well it aint :eek: :)