New Tender?

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Although the tubes still hold air well, I'm fed up with regluing the fittings back on to our 10/11 year old Waveline 2.9 every year so looking at replacing with something from EU supplier, not worth the cost and bother of importing from UK.

Arimar is a make which keeps cropping up on searches at sensible price and appears to be what we're looking for - 2.7m, ally or ply floor, 10HP rated. Classic – Arimar

Does anyone know this make and build quality? Not available locally to look at.

grumpygit

Visit site
We had a Arimar 2.7 RIB as a tender, this came with the boat and lasted circa six years before I got rid. I thought it was just okay, some of the cons was it didn't handle the UV as I thought it should so you will probably find the bits falling off eventual also we had seam leakage and the PVC rubbing strake and tube ends went very sticky, plus the oars rowlocks were rubbish. I see from the picture they haven't changed much except they it looks as though they have reinforced the bow which can only a plus as this is where we had a seam leak and wear.
I replaced it with a Pastimo 2.7 for no other reason of the deal I got, but no idea how this has faired as we only had it for a couple of seasons.
IMHO tube covers are a really good investment for the longevity if it's always open to the UV, whether homemade or out sourced.

Last edited:

Graham376

Visit site
Thanks Grumpygit, not bothered about UV degradation/going sticky, I'll sew up chaps to cover the tubes and strake. Our current pvc dinghy has been out in the sun inflated for 10+ years with chaps and no damage except the bits which poke through started falling off after about 7 years. Tried various adhesives including Polymarine 2 part but only lasts a season.

alexsailor

Visit site
My Zodiac 260 RIB started delaminating this summer. I glued it with Kent Quick seal and it is working. For now. But it is eleven years old so that is about it.
Next one will be hypalon.

Graham376

Visit site
My Zodiac 260 RIB started delaminating this summer. I glued it with Kent Quick seal and it is working. For now. But it is eleven years old so that is about it.
Next one will be hypalon.

Not as much choice of makes/models around in Hypalon and a lot more money than pvc. Don't need a dinghy which will outlast me ;)

greeny

Visit site
Thanks for the comments, just ordered an Arimar Classic 2.7, which although a bit smaller than current 2.9 will accept T9.8 . Ayamar at Ayamonte price matched on-line supplier. Will have to add chaps to winter sewing jobs, along with replacement bimini top.
Hi Graham. Any tips on getting reasonably priced fabrics for chaps and covers down here in the Algarve. Buying from sailmakers here is an astronomical price. I thought maybe getting it from awning/sunshade people. Any ideas or recommendations?

Graham376

Visit site
Hi Graham. Any tips on getting reasonably priced fabrics for chaps and covers down here in the Algarve. Buying from sailmakers here is an astronomical price. I thought maybe getting it from awning/sunshade people. Any ideas or recommendations?

I used to buy Sauleda Sea Star Masacril fabric direct from Gaio, the Portuguese importer but they stopped doing cut lengths and now only supply 60m rolls. They put me on to Casa das Napas at Setubal (tel. 265547970) who supply trade and retail. Unfortunately I won't be calling in again until sometime in winter.
Maritimas Canvases - Casa das Napas

There's an estafadores in a street behind the filling station at the end of the commercial dock in Olhao who had some stock years ago but can't remember the name.

Last edited:

greeny

Visit site
I used to buy Sauleda Sea Star Masacril fabric direct from Gaio, the Portuguese importer but they stopped doing cut lengths and now only supply 60m rolls. They put me on to Casa das Napas at Setubal (tel. 265547970) who supply trade and retail. Unfortunately I won't be calling in again until sometime in winter.
Maritimas Canvases - Casa das Napas

There's an estafadores in a street behind the filling station at the end of the commercial dock in Olhao who had some stock years ago but can't remember the name.
Just looked at Casa das Napas online and they seem to do cut lengths ok. Price at 22 euros or so is much much better than quotes down here. Even with postage it looks good. Thanks for the link.

Graham376

Visit site
Just looked at Casa das Napas online and they seem to do cut lengths ok. Price at 22 euros or so is much much better than quotes down here. Even with postage it looks good. Thanks for the link.

Yes, they do cut lengths, that price may be plus IVA 23%. I paid around €15/m including IVA 3 years ago for a 10m length, trade price.