Max power Bow Thruster intermittent.

kennyh

Visit site
Hi All - my Max Power Bow thruster is working intermittently on one side. It will work once every 4 or 5 attempts to invoke thrust on starboard - port works fine.

I wondering if anyone else has come across the same issue and whether it’s a case of stripping/cleaning the contacts in the Joystick (mine is the Simple Joystick) if that is possible?

Or is it more likely to a relay or other issue?

Any thoughts / suggestions?

Ps. Unit is around 15yrs old.

jfm

Visit site
No point guessing. You just need to find the fault with a multi-meter. Confirm the motor isn't getting volts in the starboard direction but is in the port direction, then you pretty much know the fault is in the joystick or the relay. Easy going from there. I doubt it's the brushes because it works fine in one direction.

Last edited:

Momac

Visit site
I suggest removing the joystick control and giving the electrical connectors and the joystick switch a good squirt or two of contact cleaner.
This worked for me when my QL thruster decided to play up the other week after its long winter sleep.

Zing

Visit site
Sounds to me like contact problems, corrosion or carbon build up probably. Most likely in the joystick switches or in the motor contactor. Look there first, then dig deeper if necessary. You can easily and quickly by-pass the joystick in the main control box with a jumper wire to eliminate it as a cause.