Engine wont start!

Mister E

Visit site
If there is still air in the injector pipes you will get some fuel out of them but not all the fuel needed to open the injectors.
It doesn't need a lot of air to stop the injectors opening.

Mister E

Visit site
Looking at the video that is not a lot of fuel coming out.
Try opening 2 nots a bit more and close the one with the most flow. Then turn over for a count of 20.

chris-s

Visit site
We have the same engine and similar vintage, in comparison yours appears to be turning over slower, maybe just a result of your repeated attempts. You haven’t left the decompression lever ‘up’? I’m sure you would have spotted that as it’s pretty obvious.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
I think the starter motor is turning too slow because battery juice is to low. It sounds slow to me. Take the starter battery home and charge up.

dgadee

Visit site
And don't flood the engine with cooling water - as I once did. Only to find I had an empty fuel tank.

oldharry

Visit site
Doesnt sound to be turning fast enough to me. The engine must turn at a good speed or the fuel in a cold engine will not ignite. Low battery? Terminals at: battery, starter motor, negative return strap at the engine (the most common cause of non slow starter). A quick but not infallible way of testing is to crank the negine for 10-15 seconds then see if any temrinals are hot. But be careful they can get very hot very quickly! Another way is using a multimeter set for 12 volts (usually 20v range, and check the voltage between the battery negative pole (not the terminal clamp) and a clean metal bit on the engine block with everything switched on. Anything over around 0.5volts indicates a bad connection. Dont go pulling injectors yet. If it was running and now wont start it will not be injectors. Mechnical injectors will never all fail completely the same time S*ds law excepted!).

black mercury

Visit site
Does it smoke out the exhaust when it's turning over? Depends where your control panel is, you may need long arms or an assistant. If it smokes the engine is getting fuel. If you place your fingers on an injector when the engine is cranking you should feel it 'squeak' if it's injecting fuel. You could try easystart to see if it fires.

srm

Visit site
Might not be relevant but I had a lot of trouble starting a Yanmar 2GM as the starter motor was sluggish even with fully charged batteries. After trying many things the answer was a starter motor from eBay.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
After turning over a few times to get oil onto bearings, I would squirt quick start (not WD40 which is a lubricant and freeing agent) into the air intake. If it doesnt at least fire on pure ether something is very wrong with it.

If it fires on pure ether but stops then either fuel not getting to injectors at right time or fuel heavily contaminated with water.

If it fires on pure ether and runs then starter + battery combination was inadequate for just diesel

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
After turning over a few times to get oil onto bearings, I would squirt quick start (not WD40 which is a lubricant and freeing agent) into the air intake. If it doesnt at least fire on pure ether something is very wrong with it.

If it fires on pure ether but stops then either fuel not getting to injectors at right time or fuel heavily contaminated with water.

If it fires on pure ether and runs then starter + battery combination was inadequate for just diesel

Is it definitely fuel not water when bleeding?

stu9000

Visit site
Is there enough electrical grunt at the starter? Doesn't take a great deal of loss of revs sometimes to not start.

Presumably you don't have the water seacock open - just checking.
I think so. 400ah of leisure batteries, topped up with solar. I have another two batteries for engine starting but I do wonder if there is a problem there. Turns over ok with leisure bridged to support engine batts.

stu9000

Visit site

Thanks. This is useful. Was using wd40 on advice it is less aggressive but your approach will help with troubleshooting..