Engine wont start!

stu9000

Visit site
I'm bobbing on my Blackwater mooring. Beautiful day but I just cannot get the engine going.
I've changed the filter and the lift pump.checked the bowl and bled to the bolts on injectors. Poured some wynns into the bowl. Tried wd40 into air intake. Batteries OK.

Any ideas ?

stu9000

Visit site
Compression issue? Can i take injecors out and soak them in diesel? Fuel looked clean when I changed thr filter. But I'm wondering if the injectors are clogged. VP 2003. 1987 so an old girl but reliable till now. That said It didn't start when I brought her ashore in November. Before that she has been good. If not used for a month the engine start routine would need to turn over for maybe 20 seconds to get going. About 6 pumps on the stop t was also required. So, compression? Or air intake? That has not been looked at for a while.

garymalmgren

Visit site
So we are talking about an engine that turns over (at a good speed) but will not fire on any cylinder.

How many cylinders is the engine/
What make and model?
How long is it since it last started?

gary

38mess

Visit site
The do have a cold start procedure. If you don't follow it they will never star. I had the same engine 20 odd years ago but can't remember the procedure. Someone will come along soon who will know

garymalmgren

Visit site
3 cylinders.
None firing,
Fuel.
Start from the tank,
Bleed, again.
I know that you have bled already.
Do it again slowly.
Don't worry about the mess, You can clean it up later.

gary

stu9000

Visit site
Looks like I'm not going to get her going this weekend. I'm wondering now.what the next step is. Remove injectors maybe. I've never had them looked at. But I don't want to break anything getting them out.
Maybe i need to get someone on board to have a look first.

Mister E

Visit site
Try leaving 2 injectors loose and tighten on up.
Then turn the engine over and see if it tries to fire.
If it does tighten one of the others and see how that is.

Stemar

Visit site
Cold start procedure - at least 3/4 throttle - if it's being stubborn, full throttle, but you want to be near the throttle! Pull out stop control and push it back in. Let it churn. Mine used to want near full throttle if it hadn't run for a while, or it was a cold day.

If that isn't doing it and the compression's OK, crack the supply union on each injector in turn. Fuel? Tighten back up. No fuel, check the output from the lift pump on the engine.

stu9000

Visit site
Cold start procedure - at least 3/4 throttle - if it's being stubborn, full throttle, but you want to be near the throttle! Pull out stop control and push it back in. Let it churn. Mine used to want near full throttle if it hadn't run for a while, or it was a cold day.

If that isn't doing it and the compression's OK, crack the supply union on each injector in turn. Fuel? Tighten back up. No fuel, check the output from the lift pump on the engine.
Thanks. Tried this. Even changed the lift pump out. Fuel getting to the injectors I believe.