Engine size needed to cruise a 52ft Dutch barge on the Thames

KLJ

Visit site
Hi,
I hoped someone might have some knowledge about what hp would be suitable for this? 52 ft Dutch barge, displacement= 3,000kg
Thank you in advance

Last edited:

Motor_Sailor

Visit site
I'd first check the displacement - it's certainly not 3,000Kg. Well, unless it's a 28 ft racing yacht that likes to identify as a 52ft Dutch Barge.

Once you know the true displacement, then about 3hp per ton is the sort of ball park figure for moving a boat at the speed limit on a river. However, 5hp per ton gives more options when the current is against you etc.

Chris_d

Visit site
To just make the boat move at its displacement speed as above 3hp per ton is the rule of thumb, likely 50hp minimum. But then you should allow for currents, wind, do you want to go down the tideway at any point, so more like 70/75hp would be better. Bigger engine always nicer anyway, bigger prop more responsive, bigger alternator for charging etc.... just more relaxed cruising at lower rpm.

Last edited:

Gumpy

Visit site
Parglena is 60ft 35ton and has a 120hp Ford, which was ample.
Personally I wouldn't go below 90hp as a decent amount of power gives you an edge especially if you want to go down to the Medway/ east coast.
50hp is not enough for a barge I had that in my 60ft narrow boat.

Gumpy

Visit site
One other thing to consider with larger engines is cooling.
It is very difficult to fit big enough skin tanks to cool bigger engines the size of the tanks in sqft needs to be engine HP/4 so for 90hp that's 22.5sqft or two tanks roughly 6ftx2ft this means it is better to fit a Heat Exchanger cooled engine and external water cooling.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
It will be 30,000kg.

I had an English barge which was 57x12ft and 29 tons and a 90hp engine was just right for inland use. A bit more could have been handy if doing a lot of tidal work..

It is a bit unusual to be asking this question because Dutch barges in Englandland generally have engines already.

If it is an old Boat then there will have been a previous engine which would help as a guide. If it is a shell then there will be others from the same fabricator which could serve as a guide.

Chris_d

Visit site
Is that Timothy Spalls round UK barge? I guess every Dutch barge should have a Perkins 135, will out last the rest of it easily.

However everybody has failed the test and not read the question "Engine size needed to cruise a 52ft Dutch barge on the Thames" not a lot of hp required to do 5mph :)

Daydream believer

Visit site
Seagull Century plus.- If you can start it --& with reverse if you can get it ;)

& before anyone ignores that post as frivolous, I might point out that, in the long distant past, there was a report of one being used to push a 70 ft barge along a canal by the owner. Outboards have been used by more than one narrow boat owner

Last edited:

Boathook

Visit site
Is that Timothy Spalls round UK barge? I guess every Dutch barge should have a Perkins 135, will out last the rest of it easily.

However everybody has failed the test and not read the question "Engine size needed to cruise a 52ft Dutch barge on the Thames" not a lot of hp required to do 5mph :)
Didn't say which bit of the Thames though.

dunedin

Visit site

Not sure you aren‘t presuming an interpretation of the question (which was not very informative). Tidal Thames has strong currents and many parts no such speed limit.
Surely a 52 foot Dutch barge would be overkill for just pootling on the inland bits.

oldgit

Visit site

Yes, Tim's boat.going past Upnor Castle.
Had a pair of M135 Sabres in a boat.
Just put fuel in one end and the prop never failed to turn.... ever.
Proper lazy old 6 litre 6 cylinder diesels.
Never a moments trouble and no silly turbos or electronics.
Much better than the frantic delicate little turboed hairdryers in my other boats.

DownWest

Visit site
Just sorted a fresh water pump on a Dutch built residential barge engine. 2x120 hp Ivecos plus a 65 hp bow thruster with 360° rotating thrust.
It is 80 x 20 ft and has done off shore to here, so 'probably' OK for Thames use.... :)