Disabling a jam cleat

onesea

Visit site
Sailing single handed is all about thinking ahead.

Spacing the slip slow down, look think up a plan. If your getting flustered try relaxing not every approach to a slip is easy.

As for capsizes, my record was 7 in 1/4 of a mile.

For original problem with cleat at top of mast. I would go with peice of wood or rope, not removing it.

It might not take long till you start seeing the stretch in the halyard affecting sail shape.

B27

Visit site
However experienced you are, launching and recovering singlehanders is nearly always easier if a few of you work together.
On some masts, the masthead halyard lock is crucial, because the mast will bend too much with a normal halyard, which doubles the compression in the mast as the sail and the halyard are compressing the mast with equal force.

Neeves

Visit site
Hi - don't know if I'm in the right place here or not (as you can see from my name I'm a Newbie ;/ ) However, I'll go for it anyway.
I have a jam cleat at the top of the mast on my dinghy for the main halyard - one of those 5cm long v-shaped things with sort of teeth on the sides to grip the halyard. It's a pain in the a**e when returning to shore in a wind and needing to quickly get the mainsheet down with one hand whilst holding onto the boat with the other and trying to keep it pointing into the wind as I'm removing the centreboard and getting the rudder up using my teeth and left foot! So, I've fitted another cleat at the bottom of the mast to make life easier, which is working fine. However.... the little s**t at the top of the mast still wants to be part of the action and will trap the halyard as and when it feels like it.
Removing it would be the obvious solution but it's been there so long it's become part of the mast and would entail major surgery which I'd like to avoid cos, basically, I'd have no idea where to start and am worried about causing a whole lot of new problems in attempting that.
Can I file the teeth off? Or simply block it off in some way - and if so how? Bearing in mind that, being a newbie, I'm a bit of a capsize queen so it will receive regular dunkings 🙃
Any ideas would be gratefully received, many thanks.

You cannot be alone with your issues, speak to other owners - how do they cope.

The device at the mast head is there, for reasons already explained, and my exposure was on Etchells. I'd try to work with what you have got - and not try to invent a new wheel (with problems no-one else has).

Is there no Varion Class forum that you could join? You also, maybe intentionally, don't mention a location - there maybe a dinghy component supplier nearby who could offer some words of wisdom. You sound committed and enthusiastic - they might want to offer help.

Jonathan

Puffin10032

Visit site
You cannot be alone with your issues, speak to other owners - how do they cope.
Is there no Varion Class forum that you could join? You also, maybe intentionally, don't mention a location - there maybe a dinghy component supplier nearby who could offer some words of wisdom. You sound committed and enthusiastic - they might want to offer help.

Jonathan

There is a Vareo class association web site. I don't know active it is. RS stopped building the Vareo a few years ago so it's basically a dead class although it still has a very small but loyal following. Without a builder though I can't see any future in the class. When Laser stopped building the Laser 2000 the class association was able to buy the moulds and the rights to the boats which is now known as simply the 2000. I doubt that the Vareo CA has enough members to likewise (this assumes that RS held onto the moulds and didn't scrap them).

B27

Visit site
If you lead the halyard through a block or loop at the bow when lowering, would keeping a little tension o nthe halyard tail be enough to stop the cleat re-engaging?
It does pay to have three hands to hold the boat, pull the main down and control the halyard tail....

The Vareo is a fun boat, not ever so fast but the asy kite adds some interesting tactics downwind.

NewbieSailorGirl

Visit site
Thank you to everyone who gave up their time to reply. Lots of interesting solutions and lots of welcomed advice to mull over.
For the moment I'm not going to remove the jam cleat and have gone for the simple idea of securing some rope in it to block it off and will see how I go with that. If I end up with too much stretch on the halyard and not enough bend on the mast etc then I can always remove it and try plan b. The main thing is to get on the water and just get sailing....and I know where to come in future to pick people's brains!
Thank you once again for all your help 😀