Could yachtsbe cheaper

Tranona

Visit site
You can exist on one (RM or Pogo ) but it won't be comfortable. And most people like a bit of comfort.
Clearly not everybody (or at least those buying new boats for ocean sailing) as this type of boat is increasingly popular - and Vancouvers (or similar) have not been built and sold new for many years.

John_Silver

allatseawithstargazer.blogspot.com
youtube.com/@patricklaine6958/videos
plenty to watch about his own RM, but could not find the one of the delivery across Biscay in the larger and faster one which was probably the best illustration of what this sort of boat is about.
Might be able to find it
youtube.com/@patricklaine6958/videos
plenty to watch about his own RM, but could not find the one of the delivery across Biscay in the larger and faster one which was probably the best illustration of what this sort of boat is about.
Might be able to find it in my YouTube history. If the WiFi’s up to it, in St Peter Port, on arrival.

Bernd1972

Visit site
In days whre companies cut costs to improve profits, do we actually want yachts to be cheaper? I mean they´ve gone a long way to produce things more efficient and, in some aspects even cheaper than desireable. Would we want them to give up some of their profits? Sure. In an industry where it is not too rare that yards go upside down even though they are able to produce rather efficient and in some aspects evven a little on the cheap side,

Do we really want them to build cheaper? Not so sure.

Will they sell cheaper and increase their economic risk by giving up some of their, sometimes rather small prifts? Certainly not.
Yes, therre is money made on building and selling boats, but sometimes it does not wirk as boat building companies want. Do they need a solid financial base to deliver quality products? At least it could help.

After all, we´re going out with their products on the water, more often than not in areas where we cannot simply walk back.

justanothersailboat

Visit site
Building boats down to a price is hardly new. If you can't live with the same set of tradeoffs that the "average white boat" buyer wants, it looks like you're in for either a much bigger bill, or buying an older boat and doing it up.

I don't think I agree with the original suggestion of this thread though. Fancy new boats have fancy joinery but average new boats have joinery that uses modern production methods pretty well to achieve a finish lots of people quite like, in a way that's probably quite cost effective. I doubt there is much room to make it markedly cheaper - old fashioned tongue and groove would have a far higher labour cost than today's CNC cut plys and laminates!

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Building boats down to a price is hardly new. If you can't live with the same set of tradeoffs that the "average white boat" buyer wants, it looks like you're in for either a much bigger bill, or buying an older boat and doing it up.

I don't think I agree with the original suggestion of this thread though. Fancy new boats have fancy joinery but average new boats have joinery that uses modern production methods pretty well to achieve a finish lots of people quite like, in a way that's probably quite cost effective. I doubt there is much room to make it markedly cheaper - old fashioned tongue and groove would have a far higher labour cost than today's CNC cut plys and laminates!
There's nothing wrong with "modern" methods of joinery they are really only developments of traditional joinery made possible by machinery. CNC is simply a highly accurate and reproducible way of producing the same item quickly and accurately and is used in "traditional style" of boat furniture made by the likes of HR and others. There is essentially no difference in the joinery used in "fancy new boats" and the"average white boat" Yes some builders like spirit etc will go to town on the actual finish but it's a minor part of the fit out. What is different is the style and finish of the "average white boat" and the materials used as indicated earlier by the paint finish of surfaces in the Pogo's and RMs.

justanothersailboat

Visit site
Where did I say there was anything wrong with it? And yes the expensive high end makes are using the same technique for the sheet work, but noticeably more labour on trims and finish, last I looked. It's no traditional joinery (you can still get it, but the cost is on another level again) but still a better technique in nearly all ways than the techniques used on pre-CNC production boats...

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Where did I say there was anything wrong with it? And yes the expensive high end makes are using the same technique for the sheet work, but noticeably more labour on trims and finish, last I looked. It's no traditional joinery (you can still get it, but the cost is on another level again) but still a better technique in nearly all ways than the techniques used on pre-CNC production boats...
I am unsure of what you are saying CNC joinery is simply cutting of items to a given dimension rapidly, accurately and repeatedly. What it lends itself to is flat pack joinery, what methods are used to achieve the joints is another thing entirely but machine manufactured or modern jointing methods are effectively developments of traditional methods.
Where you see the influence of CNC is in the production of panels for units that can be preassembled and dropped into the hull of a yacht under construction and this takes place for even the very high end production.