Cost to fit wind mast head unit and cable.

capnsensible

Visit site
If we’re on an ocean passage and the battery dies it might be a problem that ends in not knowing the exact wind speed…

I’ll classify that on my internal risk register as “acceptable” 😎
I can reveal that on our 4 transatlantic passages on our yacht, we didn't have wind instruments. Just a windex at the top of the mast. Horror, no plotter. Even worse, on our first trip, the not very good autopilot broke and we steered to Carib and back by hand (second time hydrovane).

Worst of all, no fridge or even worse than worst mcworse face, no mobile phone!!!!!

Minerva

Visit site
I can reveal that on our 4 transatlantic passages on our yacht, we didn't have wind instruments. Just a windex at the top of the mast. Horror, no plotter. Even worse, on our first trip, the not very good autopilot broke and we steered to Carib and back by hand (second time hydrovane).

Worst of all, no fridge or even worse than worst mcworse face, no mobile phone!!!!!
Not even a wine fridge? Did you serve your Chablis warm? 😳

Someone needs to tell social services!

Beelzebub

Visit site
On our second cruise we had Christmas day about 500 miles still to go to Antigua. No Christmas pud, a total scandal.
On our second trip across the pond we had no fridge, no radio (antenna snapped off during the trip), no electronic log but Walker trailing log (sharks liked eating the spinners), no sat-nav, 12 volt electrics died..... and then the rudder fell off when we were 600 miles from Antigua. That's when you try all the emergency steering measures recommended in Yachting Monthly and find that they are pretty damned useless!

But we got there without recourse to the Epirb (y)

I felt sorry for a German guy sailing single-handed in a Fisher 30. He'd estimated 3 weeks to get from Gran Canaria to Antigua but then failed to find much wind. Naturally he didn't have enough diesel to motor all the way across so he spent a lot of time with his sails flapping uselessly.

He ran out of food apart from porridge and that's all he had to eat for the last fortnight of his trip.

Last edited:

capnsensible

Visit site
On our second trip across the pond we had no fridge, no radio (antenna snapped off during the trip), no electronic log but Walker trailing log (sharks liked eating the spinners), no sat-nav, 12 volt electrics died..... and then the rudder fell off when we were 600 miles from Antigua. That's when you try all the emergency steering measures recommended in Yachting Monthly and find that they are pretty damned useless!

But we got there without recourse to the Epirb (y)

I felt sorry for a German guy sailing single-handed in a Fisher 30. He'd estimated 3 weeks to get from Gran Canaria to Antigua but then failed to find much wind. Naturally he didn't have enough diesel to motor all the way across so he spent a lot of time with his sails flapping uselessly.

He ran out of food apart from porridge and that's all he had to eat for the last fortnight of his trip.
Good one, just showswhat can be achieved with determination!

Had loadsa things break on ocean passages, but never lost a rudder. Great that you made it!

A friend single handing west east arrived in Gib with no food at all, his last meals were tinned peas, running out 2 days before arrival. Looong story.....

Visit site
Going back to the original question of fitting a new gadget on the mast, would taking the mast down be cheaper than sending the rigger to the top? That is a question we are facing right now on our boat (and getting some quotes).

jac

Visit site

He ran out of food apart from porridge and that's all he had to eat for the last fortnight of his trip
Not done it myself but...

3 weeks seems optimistic for a "normal" 30 footer, let alone a heavy motor sailer

Visit site
Never had electronic wind instruments. What would you use them for?
The main thing is that you can watch for changes in wind speed as you are sailing. Also the wind direction is easier to read when down at cockpit level rather than at the top of the mast. And then if you have a clever autohelm, it can steer to the wind using the input from the sensor.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
When I bought my boat about 18yrs ago, it was ashore and I had the mast lowered to repair damage to the crosstrees which the local rigger fixed. Checked everything else and the mast was raised. Had to have the rigging replaced about 8yrs ago so had the mast lowered. Good job as the babystay mast fitting was practically hanging off. Repaired and all rigging replaced, checked all lights etc. 3yrs ago lost the vhf antenna so hired the yard cherry picker to replace it which was easy to do with the mast up.

jac

Visit site
Back to OP’s question - I just paid £144 for labour for two people for and hour to look at my wind instruments and fix a problem. I think if they had had to remove old transducers and wire and replace then I would have expected 3 times that for labour.