Autohelm Windvane

Porthandbuoy

www.backbearing.com
I have, rather optimistically, posted in the Wanted section for an Autohelm pre-ST Windvane. I have the user manual and it seems the Windvane ‘trims’ whatever compass course you’re on when the wind shifts. I was wondering if a masthead unit of similar vintage could provide the input to the Autohelm. Anyone got any wiring/signal details of the Autohelm windvane?

Tranona

Visit site
Depends on the autohelm you have. Some ill take NMEA 0183 wind from something like a NASA to give proper STW functionality.

Porthandbuoy

www.backbearing.com
Depends on the autohelm you have. Some ill take NMEA 0183 wind from something like a NASA to give proper STW functionality.

I have an Autohelm / Nautech AH3000 Wheel Pilot. Works great so I see no need to change it for something 'better'. I believe the windvane accessory is the same for all the AH series of Autohelms but not the more modern ST series.

Tranona

Visit site
Was not suggesting you change, but really whether you had one that takes NMEA 0183 - but the 3000 does not

Dantp

Visit site
We have old autohelm instruments and 6000 autopilot.
I have assumed they are all networked as we have a compass display that I guess gets its heading from the fluxgate compass uses by the autopilot.
Unfortunately the autopilot doesn't see the wind angle from the masthead wind sensor as I can't switch to steer to wind.
I hope you find a solution as it would be nice to implement it.

Porthandbuoy

www.backbearing.com
Very very close. That's an even older version of my autohelm and the windvane accessory has an audio jack. Sadly, it won't suit. The windvane I'm looking for has a four-pin plug. +ve, -ve and two input signals which I've discovered are two voltages which vary with apparent wind angle. As the vane rotates they create two sinusoidal waveforms 90 degrees apart.
But thank you.