Any Volvo Penta AQ145 About?

D and G

West Wales - Boat- princess 25 called Jardice Deux
Visit site
We are in negotiations to buy a boat we like the look of, she is fitted with 2 x Volvo Penta AQ145 engines with Penat 280 legs, one of the engines has seized, Im trying to get further info if this was due to a failure or just through standing, on trying to find parts I seem to struggle so does anyone know what the car engine version of this engine was as I imagine spares would be cheaper and more available?

Also I see there is an A and B version of this engine anyone know what the differences are between the 2?

Thanks for any help, it seems an easy project and the boat got a great survey and is really good condition and the price reflects the seized engine just want to make sure I can get the parts before handing over the folding stuff

Freebee

Visit site
I know a bit about these, check the exhaust manifold and cylinder head near the transom the back exhaust port can go very rusty very easily and corrode the head , these engines are mega old now , I found a replacement head in a car scrap yard but its a lot of searching as there were many iterations of the red block engine, and many different head configurations. run a search here on ybw there are a few old threads.

D and G

West Wales - Boat- princess 25 called Jardice Deux
Visit site
I know a bit about these, check the exhaust manifold and cylinder head near the transom the back exhaust port can go very rusty very easily and corrode the head , these engines are mega old now , I found a replacement head in a car scrap yard but its a lot of searching as there were many iterations of the red block engine, and many different head configurations. run a search here on ybw there are a few old threads.
Thanks Freebee, I have just read that Red Block Engine on Wiki and did think they were the same, still waiting on further info from the owner on how it seized but he had 2 x Engineers look at it and they just said it's seized so not much help but I suspect pistons seized in the bores just need to know if I can get the parts as you say they are old engines on my own re search I would guess these are 1980 vintage, I must be getting old it don't seem that long ago lol

moresparks

Visit site
Hi, not sure the difference between the A and B models except that Model A ran from approximately 1979 to 1984 and the B model ran from approximately 1984 to 1985
With this age engine you will probably have to go to “aftermarket” parts from people like Keypart or ASAP.
If you really want this boat I think you need to be an enthusiastic DIY’er as be prepared to spend many hours in the engine locker.
Certainly take the exhaust manifold off and inspect how good the head is as you may find it corroded and need to have a professional weld it back.
If it’s seized, you will need to remove and inspect the cylinder head, and then you could try soaking the cylinder bores in diesel and gently turning over with a breaker bar. You would need to take off the inlet manifold as well and check the gaskets I presume.
Just be prepared that it could be one thing after another.
But I am no expert … just been there and done that with later AQ engines and learnt as I went along.
Good luck.

Freebee

Visit site
my experience was I needed one new head by the time it was found machined flat new gaskets i had spent £1k getting the engines to run carb overhaul kits £140 per carb - 2 engines 4 carbs ....then push fit coolant pipes needed fettling under the manifold ,water pump kits it was never ending and getting the carbs to run nicely on modern fuels a nightmare of many hours tinkering .... and carrying fuel in jerry cans from tesco, petrol safety concerns meant I was thinking 2 new diesels and eliminate all worries..

at the end of the day you are buying just a hull with a few kg of scrap iron it should be priced accordingly!!

Chris_d

Visit site
There are loads of late 70's early 80's Princesses and Fairlines fitted with twin AQ145's and old Volvo outdrives and they are all a nightmare to sell except to the unwary first time boater. Most only keep them for a year or two then realising their mistake and move them on fast.
A friend of mine bought what looked like a nice Princess 30DS with twin AQ145 on outdrives, wished he had asked me first but he didn't. Anyway went down to help him learn how to handle it as I have twin diesel outdrive boat so I was expecting it to be similar, what a horrible boat, possibly the worst handling boat it has been my misfortune to drive. Light and flightly in the water, stiff old controls with no power steering, unresponsive engines that stall constantly.
I would advise anybody to run away from anything fitted with two of these horrible red lumps at any price, that may sound harsh but it is the reality in most cases.

stelican

Visit site
There are loads of late 70's early 80's Princesses and Fairlines fitted with twin AQ145's and old Volvo outdrives and they are all a nightmare to sell except to the unwary first time boater. Most only keep them for a year or two then realising their mistake and move them on fast.
A friend of mine bought what looked like a nice Princess 30DS with twin AQ145 on outdrives, wished he had asked me first but he didn't. Anyway went down to help him learn how to handle it as I have twin diesel outdrive boat so I was expecting it to be similar, what a horrible boat, possibly the worst handling boat it has been my misfortune to drive. Light and flightly in the water, stiff old controls with no power steering, unresponsive engines that stall constantly.
I would advise anybody to run away from anything fitted with two of these horrible red lumps at any price, that may sound harsh but it is the reality in most cases.
Could not agree more. They were like that when new.
We used to sell lots of that set up and could not believe why people almost queued up to buy them. And the BMW ones were just as bad!
Good boats but needs a modern engine.

scottie

Visit site
Hi, not sure the difference between the A and B models except that Model A ran from approximately 1979 to 1984 and the B model ran from approximately 1984 to 1985
With this age engine you will probably have to go to “aftermarket” parts from people like Keypart or ASAP.
If you really want this boat I think you need to be an enthusiastic DIY’er as be prepared to spend many hours in the engine locker.
Certainly take the exhaust manifold off and inspect how good the head is as you may find it corroded and need to have a professional weld it back.
If it’s seized, you will need to remove and inspect the cylinder head, and then you could try soaking the cylinder bores in diesel and gently turning over with a breaker bar. You would need to take off the inlet manifold as well and check the gaskets I presume.
Just be prepared that it could be one thing after another.
But I am no expert … just been there and done that with later AQ engines and learnt as I went along.
Good luck.
Pendant AQ = all and any Volvo engines with outdrive from AQ115 toAQD44 thats a lot of units

fred247

Visit site
On the other hand, I had one of these boats for 14 yrs and apart from routine maintenance never had to touch them, sold the boat ten yrs ago and still see it about quite often !

Chris_d

Visit site
On the other hand, I had one of these boats for 14 yrs and apart from routine maintenance never had to touch them, sold the boat ten yrs ago and still see it about quite often !
I'm sure it was great but you bought it 24years ago, it will be a very different proposition now.

Somerset Taz

Visit site
We are in negotiations to buy a boat we like the look of, she is fitted with 2 x Volvo Penta AQ145 engines with Penat 280 legs, one of the engines has seized, Im trying to get further info if this was due to a failure or just through standing, on trying to find parts I seem to struggle so does anyone know what the car engine version of this engine was as I imagine spares would be cheaper and more available?

Also I see there is an A and B version of this engine anyone know what the differences are between the 2?

Thanks for any help, it seems an easy project and the boat got a great survey and is really good condition and the price reflects the seized engine just want to make sure I can get the parts before handing over the folding stuff
Did you have success with your AQ145A engine search. I have one with approx 500 hours. I've partially stripped it to repaint and sell, but over priorities are making progress very slow. Let me know if you would be interested in knowing more. Regards

oldgit

Visit site
Did you have success with your AQ145A engine search. I have one with approx 500 hours. I've partially stripped it to repaint and sell, but over priorities are making progress very slow. Let me know if you would be interested in knowing more. Regards
The engines would probably be just the start of the grief, if the engines have seized do wonder what those 280s are like ?

stelican

Visit site
Very very true from someone who used to sell them.