Advice about Saint Alban's head passage tomorrow

MoodyChris

Visit site
Hi,

We are making for Weymouth from Yarmouth in our Moody 346 having sat out the wind for several days and had a short but eventful passage from Cowes yesterday.

From what I've read about Saint Alban's head, it is only a real problem in wind over tide. Tomorrow is forecast to be South Easterly between 5 and 7. Our course takes us past Saint Alban's at about 13.30 to 14.30 (leaving Yarmouth at 9.40).

Will the overfall be dangerous at this point? Charts are telling me the current should be about 2.5kts going about 250°.

It seems we can go close to the shore but I'm not sure if this is either advisable or needed.

Any advice at all will be gratefully accepted. I haven't ever sailed in this area as am moving a recently bought boat from Emsworth to North Wales.

Thanks.

Tranona

Visit site
After the last few days of strong southerlies there will still be big seas ad overfalls. I would not take the inshore passage and would aim to pass at least 3nm south of the head. Not difficult coming from the Solent with the wind forecast for tomorrow morning. The inshore passage is really only of benefit if you like the scenery clos up or intend going into Chapmans Pool, but for a Weymouth passage keep well clear. This may help Poole to St Albans Head : Monty Mariner Enjoy the trip

MoodyChris

Visit site
Thanks - shortly after posting I re charted the route to take us 3 miles out and it gave the same passage time.

It's a big relief to hear advice confirming we're doing the right thing as we've found the Solent to be challenging over the last week with the strong winds!

johnalison

Visit site
It's not my area but I've been past a few times. On one occasion we met a wall of water as we reached the race. Conditions were only moderate at the time and I just basically stopped the boat and let the tide carry us through. It was impressive if not actually hazardous on that occasion.

FairweatherDave

Visit site
I'm curious what others say, I'm absolutely not knowleagable having past by twice in very nice conditions.. But consider if you get there early .... wind against tide not what you wanted. The scenery is good but how much you would enjoy it if you get that predicted wind and the left over swell from recently. I'd save that scenery for another day with off shore winds.

MoodyChris

Visit site
I'm curious what others say, I'm absolutely not knowleagable having past by twice in very nice conditions.. But consider if you get there early .... wind against tide not what you wanted. The scenery is good but how much you would enjoy it if you get that predicted wind and the left over swell from recently. I'd save that scenery for another day with off shore winds.
I'm not sure what you're referring to but probably missing the something?

We've changed the plan so we are going to go out to miss the overfall and everything says we should have wind with tide (or at worst a southerly with west flowing tide).

None of this is set in stone at all so if we should do something differently then we can still change the plan!

steveeasy

Visit site
Been round/passed quite a few times and had some interesting sailing that ive learnt a fair bit from. Keep 3-5 miles offshore and its just not an issue. Ive been a mile offshore over the overfalls and gone thru some big waves. Ive gone thru against the tide with another boat 200 mtrs further out on my beam and simply watched them disappear over the horizon, while I made absolutely no progress whatsoever for some considerable time. Of course its all so utterly obvious, but not until youve done it the wrong way.

Steveeasy

Salty seadog

Visit site
Do NOT attempt the inshore passage, it will be very narrow and with a wind from the south non existent. You also have a Lee shore and a rock strewn headland. Not a good combination. Stay at least 3 miles off and have a look at a chart to see where the race extends to.

MoodyChris

Visit site
Thanks - we're definitely going outside the overfall, but the complicating factor is now the fast approaching storm currently sitting off Biscay :/

Boathook

Visit site
If there is firing at Lulworth range you would be better nearly 4 miles off. I went through the race on a flat calm heading west and 'hit' a standing wall of water around 7 foot tall. Inside of boat got a bit damp with hatches, etc all open.

MoodyChris

Visit site
If there is firing at Lulworth range you would be better nearly 4 miles off. I went through the race on a flat calm heading west and 'hit' a standing wall of water around 7 foot tall. Inside of boat got a bit damp with hatches, etc all open.
Thanks - we checked and there's no firing scheduled tomorrow, but going to stay out past the overfall anyway.

Boathook

Visit site
Thanks - we're definitely going outside the overfall, but the complicating factor is now the fast approaching storm currently sitting off Biscay :/
Does seem to be coming in early evening at present. Could leave Yarmouth a bit earlier going to the North of the shingles. Bashing the tide but if the wind is SE'ly seas may be lumpy !

MoodyChris

Visit site
Does seem to be coming in early evening at present. Could leave Yarmouth a bit earlier going to the North of the shingles. Bashing the tide but if the wind is SE'ly seas may be lumpy !
Thanks - it looks like leaving 2 hours earlier gets us in 1 hour earlier because of foul tides and we'd be wind over tide for a while too.

We may just go for Poole instead. Going to make final decision tomorrow morning.

ashtead

Visit site
I recall DZB was a useful buoy to head for from the Solent - I appreciate it’s a military buoy but it’s worth looking out for
We have crossed from Yarmouth to Lymington with tide against wind and not comfortable really though in a blow

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Welcome to the western Solent, guys. St Albans being well known gets all the attention. If you choose to exit the Solent by the northern route in an SE wind, particularly if heading for Poole, 2 things. Christchurch ledge can be an unwelcome surprise, a plate breaker more than a danger to life, but Poole entrance in a SE wind, if the tide is ebbing, think again. It is truly spiteful. We hit our highest recorded speed there surfing in those conditions, 21kn, and we’d rather not. Short, steep 3m waves, breaking frequently.

Boathook

Visit site
The forecast looked OK for a trip to Poole with winds picking up in the evening. On the way to Poole a decision could be made as to whether to carry on to Weymouth. Wind and tide 'together' might mean smooth-ish seas.
We don't know whether this is a delivery trip or holiday.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
The forecast looked OK for a trip to Poole with winds picking up in the evening. On the way to Poole a decision could be made as to whether to carry on to Weymouth. Wind and tide 'together' might mean smooth-ish seas.
If heading for Poole, it's wise to arrange your arrival to be on the flood in SE winds. That isn’t so compatible with St Albans, and on to Weymouth.

MoodyChris

Visit site
Thanks - it looks like leaving 2 hours earlier gets us in 1 hour earlier because of foul tides and we'd be wind over tide for a while too.

We may just go for Poole instead. Going to make final decision tomorrow morning.
Hi,

We left a little early and still hoping for Weymouth.

I bought the boat in Emsworth and we're working it around to North Wales, half holiday and half "delivery" although we'll just be glad to be making some progress!