Which weather app?

GHA

Visit site
A former colleague referred to these wind data being the “gold standard”. Amazingly, to me at least, the data are derive from the molecular scattering of a radar beam.
Rather than start a new thread for ascat which no one will be much interested in, for anyone who actually is, ascat images can be downloaded & viewed in opencpn with the wfax plugin. Ascat is satellite wind measurements available online. The Advanced Scatterometer (ASCAT) Data Products
From a breezier anchorage not downwind of an island any more 😁

1714822589555.png

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
Rather than start a new thread for ascat which no one will be much interested in, for anyone who actually is, ascat images can be downloaded & viewed in opencpn with the wfax plugin.
Hello GHA,
did you add the Ascat download Server yourself? I have clicked "Update the data source" (plus restarted Opencpn etc) it lists many servers but not Ascat, even at the bottom of the list.
wfax.jpg
FWIW, there is a more complete collection of scatterometer data at the KNMI web site:
Scatterometer wind measurements in meteorology at KNMI
though unfortunately they use dynamic web addresses so it's a lot more difficult to retrieve automatically,
I keep the various static addresses of Ascat for my area in the form:
https://manati.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/ascat_images/cur_25km_METB/zooms/WMBas133.png
r.

GHA

Visit site
Hello GHA,
did you add the Ascat download Server yourself? I have clicked "Update the data source" (plus restarted Opencpn etc) it lists many servers but not Ascat, even at the bottom of the list.
View attachment 176459
FWIW, there is a more complete collection of scatterometer data at the KNMI web site:
Scatterometer wind measurements in meteorology at KNMI
though unfortunately they use dynamic web addresses so it's a lot more difficult to retrieve automatically,
I keep the various static addresses of Ascat for my area in the form:
https://manati.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/ascat_images/cur_25km_METB/zooms/WMBas133.png
r.
It was in the built in server list though not every lat/long seems to list them, 52n , 1W does but 52n 0 doesn't.

Thnx for the links, interesting 👍😎

1714898786360.png

GHA

Visit site
also you might need to calibrate the image, double click the file name which should open a new window, first page should be ok with defaults
1714900455901.png

then next to second page & set read and green cross hairs to lat & long of the image, then next to exit & imae should show on chart

1714900430496.png