What diesel fuel do I get at the Marina pump?

maxmh27

Visit site
This has nothing to do with tax, red or white, discounts, additives, bugs, etc.. Is our diesel at the Marina pump BIo-diesel? It has just been brought to my attention that bio-diesel has a shelf life of 6 months, and I have just filled my tank up. How am I going to use 270ltrs of fuel in 6 months? I thought I'd fill up for the next 5 years. 🤨 Can anyone throw some light on this?

Refueler

Visit site
Lets put it this way .... many sail boats happily go about their trips with quite a few not using up their meagre tanks of diesel in a season - let along 6 months.
My 70ltr tank on my SR25 gets filled on average one time per year .. I just add a shot of enzyme add's when its filled and happily go on my way.

If the Diesel has 5% or more Bio content - then it has to be labelled on the pump ... B5 .. B7 .. B12 etc. Problem there is who inspects the pumps !!

Biggles Wader

Visit site
Apart from shelf life issues does biodiesel have any side effects on our engines? I have found that E5/10 petrol has destroyed the carbs on my bike.

Refueler

Visit site
Older engines had issues with Sulphur reduction ... as it basically provided some lubrication ... as the Sulphur content reduced - the fuel became drier. This then created a market for Lubricity Additives to bring Diesel up to spec.

As to Bio .... it loves water ... but the low concentrations as per B5 .. B7 - this is really a tech point rather than a practical one.

Your Bike Carbs .... its easy to blame Ethanol as in your E5 .. E10 ... but gasoline is made up of many different components ... true gasoline is rare now ... I was blending the stuff for years (diesel as well) ... you really do not want to know what goes into gasoline today ...

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
This has nothing to do with tax, red or white, discounts, additives, bugs, etc.. Is our diesel at the Marina pump BIo-diesel? It has just been brought to my attention that bio-diesel has a shelf life of 6 months, and I have just filled my tank up. How am I going to use 270ltrs of fuel in 6 months? I thought I'd fill up for the next 5 years. 🤨 Can anyone throw some light on this?
You will need to speak to the marina that you buy your fuel from at each filling.

I have been using white diesel from J Sainsburys, Tesco, Shell and BP for about five years and never had a problem.