What boat would you buy to circumnavigate the UK and beyond, with only £5k?

srm

Visit site
That option is now unavailable to the OP since I have just sold her to a Frenchman!

There is a saying that the two best days in a boat owners life are the day he buys and the day he sells. True of all my boats except the last, probably because I knew it was my last boat. In fact I started feeling down when I realised the guy was serious. He and his girlfriend invited me to lunch - on my boat, and the sale was agreed. I am happier now, having seen the work the new owner has done getting the boat back to how she was when I was fit and using her. I should be sailing on her soon as adviser/coach? Helping him learn how to handle a keel hung rudder with bowsprit in the marina, and introducing him to a cutter rig, wind vane steering etc. All a bit different to his kite board and beach catamaran.

I hope you are comfortable letting the Twister go, and like me can feel a bit of relief at not having to check the boat when the wind increases and blows in a certain direction.

Poignard

Visit site
There is a saying that the two best days in a boat owners life are the day he buys and the day he sells. True of all my boats except the last, probably because I knew it was my last boat. In fact I started feeling down when I realised the guy was serious. He and his girlfriend invited me to lunch - on my boat, and the sale was agreed. I am happier now, having seen the work the new owner has done getting the boat back to how she was when I was fit and using her. I should be sailing on her soon as adviser/coach? Helping him learn how to handle a keel hung rudder with bowsprit in the marina, and introducing him to a cutter rig, wind vane steering etc. All a bit different to his kite board and beach catamaran.

I hope you are comfortable letting the Twister go, and like me can feel a bit of relief at not having to check the boat when the wind increases and blows in a certain direction.
Thank you for posting that.

I am feeling the same emotions. A mixture of sadness and relief.

Stemar

Visit site

capnsensible

Visit site

We sold our liveaboard yacht a few years ago after 22 fab years. Sad, but getting paid cash, no survey and the yacht sailing away the next day took the sting out of it.

Selling our school yacht after nearly 8 years was OK, I took the new owner out a couple of times and then he shifted marinas too.

I now get to sail several friends yachts and also do motor boats and motor cruising boats. Without the bills!

Reactions: srm

V1701

Visit site
Here's a Vega that would be on my shortlist if I was looking for a sub £5k toughie. Asking £2750. I had one & lived on it for 2 years, only 5'7" headroom though. Ashore since 2015 but looks far from abandoned - new furler & foresail apparently, low hours Beta twin, ST winches, 2009 standing rigging. Cosmetically poor inside but that's relatively easily sorted. Could be a good prospect if £5k is the absolute max budget & time available for thorough recommissioning...

Daydream believer

Visit site
I know that people spend hours wandering pointlessly around shopping malls fingering the goods & buying nothing. The same at boot sales, I am told.
But from the above offerings, it seems that there must be an endless bunch of trolls going through Appollo Duck & the like, just looking at some poor souls discarded offering, that people are desperate to rid themselves of. No intention of buying, just miserable,mooching. It must be a bit like those that used to buy a newspaper & go straight to the agony aunt page, for their daily thrill :(

Last edited:

bedouin

Visit site
I know that people spend hours wandering pointlessly around shopping malls fingering the goods & buying nothing. The same at boot sales, I am told.
But from the above offerings, it seems that there must be an endless bunch of trolls going through Appollo Duck & the like, just looking at some poor souls discarded offering, that people are desperate to rid themselves of. No intention of buying, just miserable,mooching. It must be a bit like those that used to buy a newspaper & go straight to the agony aunt page, for their daily thrill :(
If you think this is bad have a look at the classic car thread :ROFLMAO: