The story of Orin Edson - Bayliner Founder - RIP

D

Deleted User YDKXO

I enjoyed reading that. A thousand boats a week - wow!

Yes that was the figure that jumped out of the page at me. Only in America could this have happened. Another figure I'd be interested to know is how many people bought a Bayliner as their first boat (and thus got into a life of obsession and penury!) because I bet Bayliner brought far more people into motorboating than any other brand

MedDreamer

Visit site
Yes that was the figure that jumped out of the page at me. Only in America could this have happened. Another figure I'd be interested to know is how many people bought a Bayliner as their first boat (and thus got into a life of obsession and penury!) because I bet Bayliner brought far more people into motorboating than any other brand

Well I’ll start that ball rolling my first two boats were Bayliners - 2655 which we had for 3 months before trading up to a newer 2855 which I loved. RIP and thank you.

CLB

Visit site
My first boat was a Bayliner. Bloody brilliant it was too, for the money I paid for it. I did as much on that boat as I have done on many subsequent boats, including many that were considerably bigger.

Bouba

Visit site
As I recall, Brunswick paid too much for the company and when they got into trouble they were looking at a massive loss. But it made someone a billionaire, and that person was the one who brought boating to the masses. First to the Americans, during the good years and secondly to the British when the pound was strong (ah, the good years...). So in my opinion it couldn’t happen to a better bloke. Well done,
(I started with another Brunswick boat, a SeaRay.)

D

Deleted User YDKXO

(I started with another Brunswick boat, a SeaRay.)
Me too. A Searay 268 with a Mercruiser V8 petrol engine in it which drank fuel like it owned an oil well. Lovely boat though

Bouba

Visit site
I had a Sea Ray 175 bowrider with a 3 liter motor on an African river where everyone else had dugout canoes