The EA / DE needs to get a grip on the moorings ?

Lucas Gan

Visit site
I always wonder how those boathouses and never move boat process their human waste and greywater? Direct into the river? I can't think of another way as there are look like never move. OMG! That is huge pollution.

I'd report some to EA as I think most of them are not even registered.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Grey water is fine direct into the River. I know on the continent this needs to be stored in tanks but here it goes overboard.

Sewage needs to be held in tanks or suitcases and disposed of via pumpout or elsan systems which are numerous although not always reliable. There is also the compost toilet setup that has become very popular recently.

ETA and the slightly bizarre thing about the large slum houseboats down around the Molesey area is that they ARE registered and even have boat safety certificates.

Strange but true.

Scapegoat

Visit site

Bran

Visit site
Seems worse below Shepperton lock down to Molesey lock this year, Desborough cut has a lovely old trip boat “Henley” being converted to something less appealing plus several long term lurkers. Slum boats still around, looking even worse.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Is that the Salters steamer Henley ?

Used to be on the Westminster to Hampton Court run based down river until recently. Great shame if that ends up being an awful shed boat as it's a lovely hull.

Could be a bit nackered though I suppose and the Emma Smith bridge closure must have hammered those businesses quite badly.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Actually although HENLEY was one of Salters boats previously it was built by Clark of Briscombe in the 1890s not actually a Salters own build.

Quite an old lady then I wonder what will happen to her.

Salter Brothers River Thames Passenger Boats

That's rather a large vessel to find a mooring for.

Oops I was forgetting you just moor it wherever you like.

Then abandon it when the time comes.

Looks like Bustardthorpe has been abandoned. EA have had a look and hopefully put new ropes on the front as you would not want that drifting down the River during floods.

IMG_20210826_074350.jpg

Big old girl.

Nice boat actually but awkward to find a mooring for it. Well a "legal" mooring although it has been there for about ten years to be fair.

Last edited:

Bran

Visit site
Henley is definitely the old Salters boat, looks like some additional construction is going ahead above the rear decking, such a shame as it had beautiful lines.
I remember bustardthorpe was moored somewhere above shepperton lock for a while, then moved to its current location, must have been about seven years ago. Did see someone on board a couple of years ago, it is hard to tell if it’s abandoned as it has always looked the same from outside! Definitely don’t want that coming loose, especially as Streatly or Nuneham are often moored just downstream of it.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
I've been in Bustardthorpe for a cup of tea with the owner Adie a few years back. Amazingly large vessel could make a stunning houseboat for someone. I'd cut it down a bit as 96ft is a bit long really. The little blue steel cruiser that was in front of it has now gone up river.

yes it was moored at the bend opposite Chertsey meads before that and Abingdon is where he bought it from as an unconverted tanker barge. Prior to that obviously down the east coast from the Humber. It's a Humber lighter.

it has actually been at the current site for about ten years as it was there before and after the Queen's jubilee which was 2012 however it was moved out of the area during the actual event.

its actually a very nice old English barge. In the right hands that could be an absolutely amazing boat and capable of getting to Abingdon if not a bit further ! 6 cylinder Gardner in there. It does go rather well.

A good one for the trad boat rally.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Broom Scorpio. My first motor boat was a Broom Scorpio but it was the one with the normal transom. This one is a more modern boat with the outboard mounted on an external bracket. Gives a lot more room for picnics.

Ours had the sliding top and the seats which fold down into two beds. Did a fair bit of camping on that back in the late 80s.

The blue Scorpio on top of Bustardthorpe belonged to Adie's mum so I suspect if the barge does get properly abandoned that one will probably get removed as a priority although it's quite an awkward item to take away as it's on the wrong side of the boat and too far from the road for a hiab truck. .

I was told that the EA were having a look at the boat last year but that might have just been to get lines onto it rather than as a potential removal.

It would certainly be a big job to take it away and break it. Also it's actually quite a sound boat I believe made of really thick Low Moor iron so it could last for a long time just sitting there.

Last edited:

Chris_d

Visit site
Its an interesting barge but I fear too far gone for anybody to want to save it, much easier to just buy an existing usable boat if that's the sort of thing you want.
We seem to be collecting Brooms having a Gemini and a wooden Viking, always loved the look if the Scorpio but have been told the hardtop gets in the way a lot.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Its an interesting barge but I fear too far gone for anybody to want to save it, much easier to just buy an existing usable boat if that's the sort of thing you want.
We seem to be collecting Brooms having a Gemini and a wooden Viking, always loved the look if the Scorpio but have been told the hardtop gets in the way a lot.
Yes the hardtop was a bit annoying but great for camping.

I like the little Apollo. Not many of them about but a little red boat for sale at Henley on the wargrave road called "Zit" looks to be one although it does not have the chrome Broom logo. And they want about £3k for it which seems excessive. Nice boat though it does look like a little Broom.

Gemini was that the one with the inboard? Or was that another one. I think there might have been a Capricorn as well.

They did one with a V6 I think and it had a star related name. About 16-18ft long an open boat. Z drive. Fast and a good ski boat I saw one of these down at Hurley last week.

Chris_d

Visit site
Zit is a Gemini its £1950 with a trailer, the badge is painted red!
The little Brooms have a cult following now and almost Classic status, if you think that's a lot look at this one £3250 without engine! Broom Gemini
That one on Bustardthorpe would be a great little project to fix up.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Yes I think the Apollo was another boat. There is an Apollo half sunk in the old inspection launch mooring immediately above Romney lock.

The other ones which have a cult following are the old Spitfires. I had one of those as well years ago. 9ft deep vee with a 25 on the back.

That was in the days of daily police patrols on the River so much less opportunity for racing around !

Northern Star

Visit site
Big box houseboat is still at the prime Laleham mooring and must have been there over two months now!

Rest of the river down to Hampton Court was pretty quiet last week when we were out.

normskib

Visit site
It’s Gawn !!! There when I passed by on Monday when I passed back on Wednesday Tuesday there it was Gawn . That’s the good news the bad news it’s only moved a couple of hundred yards down steam To what looks like a semi derelict site so God knows how long it will be there for .

Attachments

• 0A6FC4C1-DDC7-46C2-BB41-ED4513BB9CE9.jpeg
    0A6FC4C1-DDC7-46C2-BB41-ED4513BB9CE9.jpeg
    26.1 KB · Views: 51

Barge

Visit site
If it's the same one it's now upstream of Chertsey lock on the left just up from the motorway bridge in the reeds. It has buoyancy bags on it...

Seems a strange place to leave it.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
If as surmised it is related to the 4all marine yard then it could make sense as the offside there is a accessible using the dinghy and reasonably safe as long as there is no heavy rain.

If it does get wet then there is time to move it back up to the EA moorings which would usually be less busy out of season.

I spent a few weeks on that mooring (opposite the boatyard with the lovely old lady in the house) and the River really flies there. I did think at the time that some sort of water driven generator set would have been a good investment. Fast moving water.