Targa 47 or V48 Open

AllanG

Visit site
The Volvo joystick is an option for the DP drives on the V39, which is supposed to make manoeuvring very easy due to the individually moveable drives when using the Docking function. IMHO, the layout and build quality of the V39 is excellent.....just a shame it's not in my budget!! Have fun choosing your first boat!! :encouragement:

Seastoke

Visit site
well row at least you know boats ,better than some who think they have brakes ,and ps what a great place to ,to be able to choose good luck and keep posting

henryf

www.911virgin.com
V39 comes with outdrives.

Re: the V52 feeling enclosed with the aft doors closed, then open them! Roof back & doors open, roof closed, doors open, window down, everything closed. In seconds and with the press of a button you can create an environment to suit. Ok, the aft doors are manual but you get the idea :)

The benefit for hot days is you have the ability to create an air conditioned space in the saloon should you require it particularly when not under way at anchor or on your home berth and you don't have to go down below to enjoy it.

Garage does give clean lines but if you were prepared to consider a hi-lo platform on the V39 then the V52 is no different.

My suggestion regarding the jet ski was purely to address the fact that a Williams can zip around whereas a 10hp rib combo will merely get you ashore. It will get on the plane, particularly with a tiller arm extension so you can sit further forward but it's not Williams performance. Something like a Seado Spark starts at £5k.

Either way something else for your list. Very much a current design in terms of big internal volume, large amounts of glass etc so it won't date as more manufacturers embrace these features. I also think it's a very attractive boat with nice clean lines and no fussy details.

Henry :)

ROW

Visit site
The Volvo joystick is an option for the DP drives on the V39, which is supposed to make manoeuvring very easy due to the individually moveable drives when using the Docking function. IMHO, the layout and build quality of the V39 is excellent.....just a shame it's not in my budget!! Have fun choosing your first boat!! :encouragement:

Thanks for the info - I had thought all joystick boats were IPS!

That definitely changes things - need to check space in master cabin but IIRC it wasn't an issue. There's also space for me to dress and store my stuff in the aft cabin when it's just the two of us which will be most of the time.

Yes the quality was great and really impressed by Princess fit and finish - especially compared to a construction project where it's never perfect!!

Thanks again!

ROW

Visit site
well row at least you know boats ,better than some who think they have brakes ,and ps what a great place to ,to be able to choose good luck and keep posting

Thanks - definitely realise they take some handling in close quarters!!

It is indeed a nice dilemma to have - much nicer than most decisions that need to be made!!

ROW

Visit site
V39 comes with outdrives.

Re: the V52 feeling enclosed with the aft doors closed, then open them! Roof back & doors open, roof closed, doors open, window down, everything closed. In seconds and with the press of a button you can create an environment to suit. Ok, the aft doors are manual but you get the idea :)

The benefit for hot days is you have the ability to create an air conditioned space in the saloon should you require it particularly when not under way at anchor or on your home berth and you don't have to go down below to enjoy it.

Garage does give clean lines but if you were prepared to consider a hi-lo platform on the V39 then the V52 is no different.

My suggestion regarding the jet ski was purely to address the fact that a Williams can zip around whereas a 10hp rib combo will merely get you ashore. It will get on the plane, particularly with a tiller arm extension so you can sit further forward but it's not Williams performance. Something like a Seado Spark starts at £5k.

Either way something else for your list. Very much a current design in terms of big internal volume, large amounts of glass etc so it won't date as more manufacturers embrace these features. I also think it's a very attractive boat with nice clean lines and no fussy details.

Henry :)

Yes doors can of course can be opened but wouldn't be a completely open back like a T47. It's definitely got some appeal and take on board it's a modern design! Have seen at least one in the marina and looks an attractive boat.

Keeping the platform clear is more about not tripping over when trying to handle lines, rather than aesthetics. Hopefully wouldn't be an issue as my driving improves but if SWMBO fell in whilst berthing my boating would be over!

I think it's ok on a V39 as I'd possibly place a lightweight tender vertically and lift the engine on and off as required - would go for a 4/6hp on that size to keep it a reasonable weight.

There's a V52 for sale in Largs (I think) so might pop over and take a look but it's fully priced and non Med spec.

Yes I appreciate the jet ski would nip around quickly in a way the tender wouldn't and would be great fun! Hadn't realised you could get one for £5,000 - in the scheme of things it sounds very reasonable!

mcanderson

Visit site
Hi ROW,

We use to keep our boat in Edinburgh and live there until recently. First we moved to boat to the South of France. After 5 years in the Forth and holidaying in warmer climes we had had enough and we were offered an annual berth in Beaulieu sur Mer. Last year we threw in the cards in Edinburgh and now live in Kent and have an apartment in Beaulieu sur Mer as well as the boat.

Here are some of the things I found out commuting to med boating from Edinburgh.

1. Flight times are annoying and for Nice the flights only ran Mar to Oct. Often we would go via LHR to get the days we wanted away. I think Mallorca might be better served, but not sure. Make sure your port is close to where you fly to. After a couple of hours on a flight you don't want to have a long connection at the other end.

2. Find someone who will prepare and look after your boat. When you arrive you just want to step aboard and not have to clean it etc.

3. Make sure your port is close to a town that is open all year round. You will end up nipping down in winter.

4. Look at boats in the UK if you can as it will save time when you are serious looking in Mallorca.

5. Don't rule out boats make outside the UK. As others have said the Italians make some wonderful boats. Look at Sessa and Cranchi. The Cranchi 47 and 53 are lovely looking boats and on shafts. The price might surprise you.

Feel free to ask any questions you might have and all the best.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
I was in this situation 7 months ago after selling my Phantom 43, in the end I bought neither.
Prices were all over the place , I nearly bought a 2009 V48 at a snip , but my heart told me I wanted the Targa 47 , there was and still is very limited numbers of this model for sale in the uk, and what was available was either sky high prices or in shocking condition for the price. Then came brexit and the boats abroad all shot up in price. In the end I invested my cash elsewhere . They are both great boats and I'd say they both have there foes and against.

My personal view is the Princess is older style but very well built, the Targa looks better and the roof will last where the Princess will need a new fabric roof every few years but it quieter on the move over the targa as the engine note resonates under way when it's closed, engine access it brilliant on the Targa as you can access it from the hatch or the rear starboard sure, the Princess is a different matter and I'd dread the thought of removing a gearbox if the need arose, which has just reminded me to watch out as some of the D9s had the ZF 280 gearbox fitted which was a bad choice as the torque from the D9 had a nasty habit of chewing up the gears and spitting them out the casing.

If I had my chance again I'd go for the Targa . Happy hunting

tetleys

Visit site
I did the rounds this time last year and was kindly assisted by VolvoPaul , it was a no brainer in the end, Targa 47 all the way.
A fully specced 2008 boat built when Fairline where at the top of their game, fantastic layout, great looks, simple shaft transmission with
torquey and reliable D9,s, and having put 140 hours on it in 12 months i honestly dont know what else i would change it for under 50 feet
Feel free to pm me if you need any more help
cheers
Tetleys

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
I was in this situation 7 months ago after selling my Phantom 43, in the end I bought neither.
Prices were all over the place , I nearly bought a 2009 V48 at a snip , but my heart told me I wanted the Targa 47 , there was and still is very limited numbers of this model for sale in the uk, and what was available was either sky high prices or in shocking condition for the price. Then came brexit and the boats abroad all shot up in price. In the end I invested my cash elsewhere . They are both great boats and I'd say they both have there foes and against.

My personal view is the Princess is older style but very well built, the Targa looks better and the roof will last where the Princess will need a new fabric roof every few years but it quieter on the move over the targa as the engine note resonates under way when it's closed, engine access it brilliant on the Targa as you can access it from the hatch or the rear starboard sure, the Princess is a different matter and I'd dread the thought of removing a gearbox if the need arose, which has just reminded me to watch out as some of the D9s had the ZF 280 gearbox fitted which was a bad choice as the torque from the D9 had a nasty habit of chewing up the gears and spitting them out the casing.

OP is talking about the new V48, not the old V48.

ROW

Visit site
Hi ROW,

We use to keep our boat in Edinburgh and live there until recently. First we moved to boat to the South of France. After 5 years in the Forth and holidaying in warmer climes we had had enough and we were offered an annual berth in Beaulieu sur Mer. Last year we threw in the cards in Edinburgh and now live in Kent and have an apartment in Beaulieu sur Mer as well as the boat.

Here are some of the things I found out commuting to med boating from Edinburgh.

1. Flight times are annoying and for Nice the flights only ran Mar to Oct. Often we would go via LHR to get the days we wanted away. I think Mallorca might be better served, but not sure. Make sure your port is close to where you fly to. After a couple of hours on a flight you don't want to have a long connection at the other end.

2. Find someone who will prepare and look after your boat. When you arrive you just want to step aboard and not have to clean it etc.

3. Make sure your port is close to a town that is open all year round. You will end up nipping down in winter.

4. Look at boats in the UK if you can as it will save time when you are serious looking in Mallorca.

5. Don't rule out boats make outside the UK. As others have said the Italians make some wonderful boats. Look at Sessa and Cranchi. The Cranchi 47 and 53 are lovely looking boats and on shafts. The price might surprise you.

Feel free to ask any questions you might have and all the best.

Thanks mcanderson

Interesting to hear from someone who's done Med boating from Edinburgh!

1. Noted on flight times - going out is OK as early morning generally but coming back will prob be overnight in London. I'm in London quite a bit so can always tie in with meetings on the way back! However it's not ideal.

2. Definitely - this is essential in my book and SWMBO would not tolerate anything else!!!

3. Yes - planning to head to Cala d'Or which of course is largely closed in the winter but would rent a car so we could go elsewhere for dinner etc in the off season. If it was an issue we could always move.

4. Yes but in some ways it's just as easy to look in the Med as I'd need to travel to the south coast anyway and would feel guilty wasting a broker's time when I'm only likely to buy in the Med. That said if I found a Med spec boat in the UK at the right price, I would consider getting it shipped down.

5. The Cranchi 47 is great value as you mention. Will look at Sessas as well. I'm not hung up on buying a British made boat.

Thanks again.

ROW

Visit site

Thanks volvopaul,

Yes the exchange rate really doesn't help - luckily I'd bought a load of machinery pre the movement which meant I've had to wait a season to let cash reserves recover! However will get stung on the rate now!!

I have noticed the T47s are expensive given their age and versus other boats. It seems there's a stand off between vendors and buyers as to what the good boats are worth!

I have considered the V48 of the same vintage and noticed they're a bit cheaper. I have also looked at the new V48 Open which is perfect bar the IPS pods and the price!

Is the ZF280 gearbox fitted on the T47 or just the V48?

I did notice the T47 engine access was good when we chartered so hopefully the service people won't ignore things because they're hard to reach! Given I'd be buying a boat that's up to 10 years old, I'd be nervous as to whether all scheduled items were done if access is tricky so the T47 is appealing from that perspective.

From other threads, I've noticed you are an engine expert, so would be interested to hear your views on IPS drives if I went down the newer V48 Open route.

ROW

Visit site
I did the rounds this time last year and was kindly assisted by VolvoPaul , it was a no brainer in the end, Targa 47 all the way.
A fully specced 2008 boat built when Fairline where at the top of their game, fantastic layout, great looks, simple shaft transmission with
torquey and reliable D9,s, and having put 140 hours on it in 12 months i honestly dont know what else i would change it for under 50 feet
Feel free to pm me if you need any more help
cheers
Tetleys

Thanks Tetleys

Yes I think it takes a lot to beat it as well! Doubtless will be tricky to find the right one.

As you mention I think Fairline were at their best when they made these!

Thanks for the offer of more help. I will probably take you up on it!!

KINGFISHER 8

Visit site
Re saloon sliding doors .... I keep a boat in the South of France and I'd go for doors every time. We've got roll-up canvas which isn't a problem and makes for a nice cool boat with the large sliding roof open ... get a boat with a hard sliding roof, not canvas ... but as someone says above, you can make a nice cool saloon by shutting everything and using the aircon, sometimes necessary on very hot evenings. Daytimes in the summer we often have to close the roof to keep the sun out it gets so hot! Another big advantage with doors is using the boat out of season .. it can get very cold at night so using the heating the boat will get and stay toasty a lot quicker! My next boat will have doors!

Nick_H

www.ybw-boatsforsale.com
Alright, I'll say it, why not just charter the Boats.co.uk T47 until you know what you want longer term?

Buying your own for a year is going to cost:
Surveyor/flights etc £1k
Delivery cost £??
Berth £10k
Servicing £3k
Insurance £2k
Antifouling £2k
Polishing £1k
Guardiennage and cleaning £1k
Opportunity cost of capital £10k
Brokers fee and VAT on re-sale £15k
Unexpected repairs £??

That's assuming you can sell it quickly for the same price that you bought it a year later, and that you don't want to make any changes or upgrades. Compare that with the cost of chartering the Boats.co.uk boat, but remember with chartering you just turn up and go, so you're only paying for the days you are out using the boat.

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Alright, I'll say it, why not just charter the Boats.co.uk T47 until you know what you want longer term?

Buying your own for a year is going to cost:
Surveyor/flights etc £1k
Delivery cost £??
Berth £10k
Servicing £3k
Insurance £2k
Antifouling £2k
Polishing £1k
Guardiennage and cleaning £1k
Opportunity cost of capital £10k
Brokers fee and VAT on re-sale £15k
Unexpected repairs £??

That's assuming you can sell it quickly for the same price that you bought it a year later, and that you don't want to make any changes or upgrades. Compare that with the cost of chartering the Boats.co.uk boat, but remember with chartering you just turn up and go, so you're only paying for the days you are out using the boat.

I think you're a bit light on some of those costs Nick but I agree the general message!

Illusion

Visit site
We have a 2009 Targa 47 with a 2015 Williams 325s Jet rib. Love both boats and a perfect combination. I think everything regarding the T47 has already been covered on here. You do seem read a lot of noise on here regarding Williams reliability however they remain popular and ours has been great (so far), however we look after it by the book, which I think lots of others don't, which may be the problem? We mono ski with ours so as you can guess for the size, there's nothing else that comes close.
Be more than happy to answer any questions from a first hand owner perspective, although we do all our boating in the UK (Solent) and I promise I'll try and be as objective as possible with both positive and negatives!!

ROW

Visit site
Re saloon sliding doors .... I keep a boat in the South of France and I'd go for doors every time. We've got roll-up canvas which isn't a problem and makes for a nice cool boat with the large sliding roof open ... get a boat with a hard sliding roof, not canvas ... but as someone says above, you can make a nice cool saloon by shutting everything and using the aircon, sometimes necessary on very hot evenings. Daytimes in the summer we often have to close the roof to keep the sun out it gets so hot! Another big advantage with doors is using the boat out of season .. it can get very cold at night so using the heating the boat will get and stay toasty a lot quicker! My next boat will have doors!

Thanks Kingfisher

That does make sense, but in the V52 there's a lot of nice fabric and woodwork in the raised saloon - I wonder if Med sun would wreck it if the sunroof was open for any length of time?