Superior British innovation vs original German Engineering..

DeeGee

Visit site
The washing machine on/off button now only works when pressed - release and it turns off again. Hence the stylish 'button replacement kit'. I am thinking of patenting this, whaddyathink? (The clamp is just for weight, German buttons want tough pressure).

Anyone a more Heath Robinson-ish offering for a slow day?

ButtonReplacement.jpg

No Regrets

Visit site
You can see why we won the war eh?

...and why we drive Rovers, and thet have BMWs..... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

MapisM

Visit site
Did you try to force a toothpicker (or something similar) between the button and the surrounding panel?
I bet it'd do the trick.

Major Catastrophe

Visit site
Since the gas struts failed on my car tail door, I have utilised a lumber based buttress device to facilitate an immotile state.

However, I will concede that my solution is less engineered than yours.

boguing

Visit site
My last boat; I had had it with the cockpit locker lid (Typically heavier than the rest of the deck moulding) closing without proper notice, nearly catching fingers etc..

So I sourced a Mercedes 190 bonnet gas ram (oddly enough, about £10, and £20 less than anything Ford sold).

Tested/calculated/designed. Fitted the end to the lid in designed position. Fitted the bottom mount on a convoluted bodge involving old toe-rail section and lots of machine screws.

Thort I'd better test it before final placement. You know that those thing can hold a lot of weight up. Compressed it on the glassfibre deck. Slipped. Hit me under the chin. Blood.

Satisfied with attachments, and now in awe of the stored energy, once again devised a test. Connect bottom end to bracket, climb into locker to observe experiment, locate top mount in "the corner" of the inside of the locker lid. Pull locker lid closed, to check the final closed length of ram will be OK.

Top end slips on GRP. Locker slams shut on my head. Blood. Again.

Tests complete. Final fit perfect, as per design. Open the catch, lid gently lifts to full open with a satisfying hiss. Reverse load more than acceptable.

D'you know? I've only actually been hurt by locker lids twice.

DeeGee

Visit site
Tried gaffer tape and matchsticks, but the strength of the spring in the button was too much. Look at the steel clamp attached to the end, that was after finding that the weight of the wood (oak, 1.5x1.5ins) was insufficient. The device hinges up (on length of gaffer tape attached to the machine top). Cant use superglue as I hope to get a replacement switch sooner or later.

Incidentally, on the question of superglue... when one puts up a skirting or some panel with 'No More Nails', can you ever get it off again without ripping away the underlying plasterwork or whatever it is attached to? /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
[ QUOTE ]

Incidentally, on the question of superglue... when one puts up a skirting or some panel with 'No More Nails', can you ever get it off again without ripping away the underlying plasterwork or whatever it is attached to? /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]I find the secret when it reaches that stage is to move instead....