Solent crossing of an unusual vessel: 24 october 2013

PhillM

Visit site
I know that not everyone is in the Solent, but for those that are, it might be worth taking a look.

1. NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN by the Queen's Harbour Master Portsmouth that an unusual, slow moving vessel will cross the Solent on Thursday 24 October 2013 in aid of charity.

2. The vessel, shaped like a pumpkin, is expected to have a top speed of 2 Knots. It will be supported by two support RIBs, the lead RIB having the call sign ‘SEA START 2’. A listening watch on VHF Ch11 and Ch12 will be maintained throughout the crossing; the support vessel can be contacted on Ch 72.

3. The proposed route of the crossing is from Stokes Bay to the Isle of Wight, starting at around 10.00.

4. All mariners are requested to keep a good lookout and pass well clear of the vessel and the support craft during their crossing of the Solent.

5. Cancel this Local Notice to Mariners with effect from 25 October 2013

flaming

Visit site
A vessel shaped like a pumpkin and capable of 2 knots maximum?

So that'll be the latest AWB launch then!

jac

Visit site
Did look like a fairly rubbish record. Basically, build a boat round a pumpkin, attach small 2stroke and motor across.

If that's a record then I'm going to Sellotape a sprout to mine and motor across in a sprout.

prv

Visit site
Did look like a fairly rubbish record. Basically, build a boat round a pumpkin, attach small 2stroke and motor across.

Mm. The picture of him in the paddling version looked more legitimate, but yes, a bit too much additional structure in the motor one.

Pete

jac

Visit site
Mm. The picture of him in the paddling version looked more legitimate, but yes, a bit too much additional structure in the motor one.

Pete

Yes, the paddling one was legitimate I thought. Maybe a new option for forumites winter discussions. What is the best vegetable for my novelty boat paddling exploits.

michael_w

Visit site
Spirit of the ridiculous alive and well!

What else could you do with an 800lb pumpkin? At least it's not "art" like the clinker coracle.