Save Weir Wood Sailing Club

veshengro

Visit site
Going back quite a few years when I lived in East Sussex, I recall listening to some people complaining about how the people of the Bewl sailing Club had basically assumed control of the Reservoir. I think the problem arose over someone launching a Kayak and being descended upon by Club members claiming sole access to the water. The Club may well have had sole access, I don't know, so I am only guessing, but I think it was possibly a matter of attitude of some Club members to other people, even those using the footpath around the water, that was causing problems at that time, and I'm speaking of 10 years ago..

A shame really, probably just one or two people upsetting things, resulting in a new owner deciding on a fresh start.
I was sitting in a Cafe in Rye at the time and after all this time I still remember the incident and the Kayakers being really upset by their treatment at Bewl Water.

Concerto

Visit site
Surely Wier Wood Sailing Club have the support of the RYA legal team. Reading the good work the club has been doing promoting sailing for all, I would be very surprised if the RYA did not get involved.

Mark-1

Visit site
Going back quite a few years when I lived in East Sussex, I recall listening to some people complaining about how the people of the Bewl sailing Club had basically assumed control of the Reservoir. I think the problem arose over someone launching a Kayak and being descended upon by Club members claiming sole access to the water. The Club may well have had sole access, I don't know, so I am only guessing, but I think it was possibly a matter of attitude of some Club members to other people, even those using the footpath around the water, that was causing problems at that time, and I'm speaking of 10 years ago..

A shame really, probably just one or two people upsetting things, resulting in a new owner deciding on a fresh start.
I was sitting in a Cafe in Rye at the time and after all this time I still remember the incident and the Kayakers being really upset by their treatment at Bewl Water.

That seems plausible.

I've seen a member of one of my own clubs (wrongly) tell a Fisherman with his young son they weren't allowed to fish. It was a public place with no restrictions of any kind. I went over to chat and apologize to try to smooth it over.

So I can well imagine how a handful of morons could turn a whole community against a Sailing Club.

dancrane

Visit site
It does seem grossly unreasonable and unjust, from Weir Wood club's reports. I wonder if the detail would reveal aspects we can't see.

Very sad if the club closes. I bought a blue Skipper 12 from either Weir Wood or Bewl Water, in 2003...appalled to say I'm not sure which. The road trailer wasn't roadworthy so we took the boat away on top of an XJ6 with no roofrack.

Following week we went back and took the trailer home the same way. Chap in a van at the traffic lights said the trailer arm looked like the barrel of a gun on the Jag's roof.

The Q

Visit site
Often tell people they can't fish on the Norfolk Broads.. it is closed season until the 16 th June.
It's also illegal on the broads to fish from a motor or sail powered boat while underway, or moored in a navigable channel.
Reminding canoes and paddleboarders they need to pay broads tax or be a member of the British canoeing union is something I also do. Doesn't matter if it's just an inflatable, if it floats and you can get on it, there's tax to pay..

Mark-1

Visit site
Often tell people they can't fish on the Norfolk Broads.. it is closed season until the 16 th June.
It's also illegal on the broads to fish from a motor or sail powered boat while underway, or moored in a navigable channel.
Reminding canoes and paddleboarders they need to pay broads tax or be a member of the British canoeing union is something I also do. Doesn't matter if it's just an inflatable, if it floats and you can get on it, there's tax to pay..

That's not what I was describing.

The Q

Visit site
No, the people charging you taxes put up your taxes. Most taxes in this country aren't necessary they're just filling the pockets of the already wealthy through schemes that look reasonable on the surface.
Er no, broads authority taxes ( technically called the toll) pays for the operation of the Norfolk broads, including dredging , the rangers, and other broads related items.

Mark-1

Visit site
Surely Wier Wood Sailing Club have the support of the RYA legal team. Reading the good work the club has been doing promoting sailing for all, I would be very surprised if the RYA did not get involved.

Looks like they've tried that route - from a past AGM:

"xxx asked if the RYA are giving advice and <ctte member> commented that it is not practical for them to advise on particular cases"

https://wwsc.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/WWSC-AGM-26-November-23-Issue-1.pdf

Concerto

Visit site
Looks like they've tried that route - from a past AGM:

"xxx asked if the RYA are giving advice and <ctte member> commented that it is not practical for them to advise on particular cases"

https://wwsc.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/WWSC-AGM-26-November-23-Issue-1.pdf
Interesting reading. It does seem as though the new owner is nit picking, so what is his ulterior motive? My guess is he wants to run a club for extra profit using the existing premises.

The response from the RYA does seem to go against the grain of sailing being an inclusive sport. To not give advice on how to defend a club from a vexatious owner does seem at odd to the aims of the RYA. It certainly makes me feel they should no longer have my annual membership fee.

lustyd

Visit site
Er no, broads authority taxes ( technically called the toll) pays for the operation of the Norfolk broads, including dredging , the rangers, and other broads related items.
I guarantee that the paddleboards don't need the broads dredged, and if the only purpose of the rangers is to collect taxes from paddle boarders then your argument is getting pretty thin.

The Q

Visit site
I guarantee that the paddleboards don't need the broads dredged, and if the only purpose of the rangers is to collect taxes from paddle boarders then your argument is getting pretty thin.
The broads are man made, without dredging many broads would rapidly disappear, as some have pre the Great Yarmouth harbour commissioners and the broads Authority. The Broads Authority also remove unclaimed wrecks, fallen trees, and clear trees in some areas that would make the rivers and broads unnavigable.
The rangers duties include stopping drunk "drivers" and speeders who would otherwise run over paddleboarders and collide with Boats . Also they stop stupid mooring like mooring a 40 ft boat stern on an 80ft wide river on a bend.

xyachtdave

Visit site
So I can well imagine how a handful of morons could turn a whole community against a Sailing Club.

Like cyclists it only takes a few!

Possibly some research is required into Lycra and Wetsuit materials to see if they affect the behaviour of normally reasonable people….