Ramsgite

oldgit

Visit site
RCC club plans to visit Ramsgate late BH weekend.
Rumours of damage to commercial moorings and commercial craft relocated to leisure moorings and shortage of space for visitors at mo... ?????
Always Dover as alternative ?

harvey38

Visit site
Nah, got 31 visiting boats from from Belgium this weekend then they race back. I think the following weekend a similar expedition from France.

Our berth is vacant from Monday for two weeks😊

johnalison

Visit site
It where we would go for fish & chips by the harbour for our first proper English meal after all that funny foreign stuff on our way home. The restaurant closed and we once ended up at an inferior place just back a bit. This was quite repulsive, not only the greasy food but some of the clientele were not exactly civilised. However, we did enjoy stopping off in Ramsgate, and shopping was easier than Dover.

Parabordi

Visit site
It where we would go for fish & chips by the harbour for our first proper English meal after all that funny foreign stuff on our way home. The restaurant closed and we once ended up at an inferior place just back a bit. This was quite repulsive, not only the greasy food but some of the clientele were not exactly civilised. However, we did enjoy stopping off in Ramsgate, and shopping was easier than Dover.
Yeah we used to look forward to a roast in 'Anne's Pantry' for same reason, closed years ago

harvey38

Visit site
There are some great eating places within three minutes walk of the harbour. Italian, Thai, Turkish, Indian and a plethora of English food from a traditional breakfast to upmarket burgers and fine dining with a view.

johnalison

Visit site
There are some great eating places within three minutes walk of the harbour. Italian, Thai, Turkish, Indian and a plethora of English food from a traditional breakfast to upmarket burgers and fine dining with a view.
Things have changed a lot in the last few years and I think it must be ten years since we visited Ramsgate. Greasy spoons have become less greasy and all this foreign stuff is all the rage now. I’m happy to do the fine dining if you are paying.

johnalison

Visit site
The unisex shower block under the arches was quite an experience in ye olden days. It was all highly organised with uniformed attendants, and the showers were good.

Visit site
I went into Ramsgit twice the second time because I couldn't believe how shitty it was the first time having been directed into a berth having given my draught only to run aground mid channel nowhere near the berth and when I finally got into it the boat spent half the tides stuck in the mud. I didn't return after the second visit confirmed what was evident on the first. So yes Ramsgit it was and will always remain in my mind even if things have changed.
Filthy pontoons covered in bird shite as well.

johnalison

Visit site
I went into Ramsgit twice the second time because I couldn't believe how shitty it was the first time having been directed into a berth having given my draught only to run aground mid channel nowhere near the berth and when I finally got into it the boat spent half the tides stuck in the mud. I didn't return after the second visit confirmed what was evident on the first. So yes Ramsgit it was and will always remain in my mind even if things have changed.
Filthy pontoons covered in bird shite as well.
It might be that the mooring arrangements have changed since then. It is nine years since I last went, and in those days there was generally plenty of room when you turned to port after entering, but there had been the odd time during Ramsgate week when we were sent over to pontoons to the north which were seldom used and thus largely taken over by gulls.

Ramsgate is on the unsophisticated side of scruffy, but that does at least give it some character. The French equivalent is Le Treport, which is like Ramsgate but depressing, apart from the fine cliffs.

oldgit

Visit site
Just submitted a much revised list of boat numbers wanting a berth (ask any cruise organiser about this 😣).
About 15 boats so far.
Apparently no problems ........................and its F2 .... all the BH weekend :cautious:

surfernan

Visit site
Good luck with 15 visitors over the bh weekend. I am in at the moment and there are very few finger berths free tonight. The small boat pontoons are not being used so the main fingers are full of small day fishing boats.