Pollution in The Blackwater

morgandlm

Visit site
I have enjoyed a couple of good days of sailing in the Blackwater in the last week with a short passage from Bradwell to Pyefleet and yesterday a day sail from Bradwell to Heybridge and back. During both trips I have noticed a long (miles long!) ribbon of brown frothy, scummy filth several meters wide in the middle of the river, moving in and out on the tide. I was not aware of any particular smell despite crossing it a couple of times tacking down the river but I assume this is untreated outfall from water treatment (or non-treatment!) systems. I have never seen it as bad as this and assume it is due to the unusual amount of rain. My usual enthusiasm for swimming in The Blackwater at least once a year is significantly reduced. Has anybody else made similar observations?

I assume this is all down to under investment by Essex and Suffolk Water (owned by Northumbrian Water which is owned by a Hong Kong based business group). Oh dear!

David Morgan

Plum

Visit site
I have enjoyed a couple of good days of sailing in the Blackwater in the last week with a short passage from Bradwell to Pyefleet and yesterday a day sail from Bradwell to Heybridge and back. During both trips I have noticed a long (miles long!) ribbon of brown frothy, scummy filth several meters wide in the middle of the river, moving in and out on the tide. I was not aware of any particular smell despite crossing it a couple of times tacking down the river but I assume this is untreated outfall from water treatment (or non-treatment!) systems. I have never seen it as bad as this and assume it is due to the unusual amount of rain. My usual enthusiasm for swimming in The Blackwater at least once a year is significantly reduced. Has anybody else made similar observations?

I assume this is all down to under investment by Essex and Suffolk Water (owned by Northumbrian Water which is owned by a Hong Kong based business group). Oh dear!

David Morgan
Yes, a lot of brown scum about over the last week. It is on the Crouch too. Why do you associate it with Essex and Sufflok Water?

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Lots of it around Harwich and the Stour last weekend. We came past Harwich a few minutes after the Stenna ferry had berthed and there as a LOT of it where she had turned around, as if it was something in the water that the props/thrusters had frothed up.

Cobra

Visit site
It is according to the local fishermen 'May Bloom'...basically an algae that comes to life in May lasts for about 2-3 weeks and then dies off again. Harmless apparently, but probably not a good idea to go swimming in it though!

xyachtdave

Visit site
I also saw this at Queenborough (Medway / Swale) last weekend. Looked like some kind of algae perhaps?

Not sure about algae, the brown bits we saw were enough to convince me getting wet via the Medway water wasn't an option!

oldgit

Visit site
suspect natural causes rather than sewage this time...........
Possibly sun drying out layer of mud and tide simply washing this off during the flood.
Noticeable of the Merdway recently as well.
Of more concern would have been the white foam on the waste water coming out of the Smurfit Kappa plant at Snodland on Saturday.