Orca attack

Thresher

Visit site
I have a theory.
I would imagine that a majority of boats in that region now carry firecrackers and if they go for a sailing boat's rudder they will get firecrackered.
Orcas are intelligent creatures, they will learn not to do this and indeed may have done so already. It could be a perfect outcome.

greeny

Visit site
I have a theory.
I would imagine that a majority of boats in that region now carry firecrackers and if they go for a sailing boat's rudder they will get firecrackered.
Orcas are intelligent creatures, they will learn not to do this and indeed may have done so already. It could be a perfect outcome.
Correct in your theory in my experience. Its all we have at the moment. Stay shallow, firecrackers and keep an eye on Orcas website for the latest incidents sightings and hence the locations of the Orca. In my opinion, the use of pingers does little to deter them. They're recommended use is being perpetuated by those that have bought them and want to sell them on to newcomers maybe?

Lucy.wj

Visit site
Another one on a German boat off Peniche.

Boat had its rudder bitten off.

Captain said Orcas were not aggressive just appeared playful.

Bit close to home as I am in Nazare!

Hopefully they are only biting EU boats! I will be flying my red ensign - so hopefully that will put them off!
Sounds terribly destructive!

Laser310

Visit site
Looking at the CA map of interactions.., we see a few in the Bay of Biscay far from land.., but those near the coasts of Spain and Portugal are pretty close to shore.

I am guessing that this is related to the frequency of boats being in those locations: the Biscay crossing is a common sailing route, but along the coast of Portugal, most people are probably within 10 miles or so.

I am aware that some advice is to be extremely close along Portugal and Spain - but I am not comfortable with that.

Do we have any Idea about the odds say 50-100 miles off Portugal? Is there any reason to think that would be safer than 5-10 miles?

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Looking at the CA map of interactions.., we see a few in the Bay of Biscay far from land.., but those near the coasts of Spain and Portugal are pretty close to shore.

I am guessing that this is related to the frequency of boats being in those locations: the Biscay crossing is a common sailing route, but along the coast of Portugal, most people are probably within 10 miles or so.

I am aware that some advice is to be extremely close along Portugal and Spain - but I am not comfortable with that.

Do we have any Idea about the odds say 50-100 miles off Portugal? Is there any reason to think that would be safer than 5-10 miles?

A friend was attacked last year in 20m depth within the 5-10 mile limit, just outside the tuna net off Tavira. I would think inside the nets, where depth allows, should be safer. 50-100 miles may well be safer as tuna run is closer to shore but not very practical unless bypassing Portugal.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com

Why not hug the coast. What’s the problem?

john_morris_uk

The problem is that the staple diet of orcas is tunny and the tunny nets here,between Faro and Tavira, are close to the coast as can be seen on the Admiralty chart
That’s the story we’d heard and been warned about. However we sailed that coast 18 months ago and had zero hassles with tunny nets. In fact we hugged the coast staying in about 17 metres of water or less to avoid the orcas. I admit it was close to flat calm day after day so there was no problem with being close to a lee shore but no tunny net problems at all.

capnsensible

Visit site
I've been fortunate in having had the chances to sail that coast quite a bit. There is loadsa sea room inboard of the tuna nets. Far more of a hazard, seasonally, is the proliferation of pot markers....

Star-Lord

Visit site

I think we need actual odds - for every month - what are the odds of being attacked and which months have lower odds.

greeny

Visit site
I think we need actual odds - for every month - what are the odds of being attacked and which months have lower odds.
If you look at orcas.pt website they give up to date reports as you probably already know. You can clearly see from the data and charts provided which months have greater risks in which areas if you look at the historic data maps. Click on the "Maps" section, top left on first page.
orcas.pt - Orcas / Sailing boats in Portugal and Spain

Sandydog2

Visit site
If you look at orcas.pt website they give up to date reports as you probably already know. You can clearly see from the data and charts provided which months have greater risks in which areas if you look at the historic data maps. Click on the "Maps" section, top left on first page.
orcas.pt - Orcas / Sailing boats in Portugal and Spain
Isn't that more a reflection of when there are the most boats around ?

greeny

Visit site
Isn't that more a reflection of when there are the most boats around ?
Yes of course. No boats = no attacks. But the data still shows the movement of the orcas and in which month they are more likely to be in which area. There are no absolutes in this, There have been 2/3 attacks up North already this year that buck the trend, but from the reports you can clearly see the orcas starting in the south and moving north through the summer. Most attacks occur in depths of more than 20m even though I would suggest that the majority of boat stay shallow nowadays. This does show that staying shallow along with avoiding the hotspot areas are the best options to prevent attack.

john_morris_uk

You certainly need to keep your eyes open, especially motoring.
You do, but again, we had no problem. We only day ‘sailed’ so we could always keep a lookout ahead. Daysailing also adheres to the request of the local authorities as it’s easier for the rescue services to tow a damaged boat in by day. Fortunately we didn’t have to use their services.

The several boats we heard or saw being towed in had been out in deep water. I still don’t understand why they were out there!