Navionics-am i missing something?

Tzu

Visit site
It’s not a silly question at all, because whilst that’s obviously what you want the operating system does clever stuff to save battery etc. for developers android phones are all slightly different so even more complicated… and different versions of OS add new features that can break thinks the worked before.

If it’s paid it probably works. If it’s free you’d want to test it by setting up and going for a walk with your phone asleep etc. Note - the “backgrounding” isn’t necessarily instant either so you will want to leave it asleep for a while first.

Then whichever you use you need to understand how alarms/alerts work on your phone. Eg many phones will have a do not disturb mode, some apps can override that but need you to go and explicitly tell the phone you want that to happen…
After a couple fo hours working I'd forgotten that I was testing something and had used the phone for several other things. Even on a couple of occasions making and taking telephone calls. So when I went for a walk down the road I was initially puzzled why my phone was making an alarm sound. On checking, I was exactly on the line on the map between ok and not-ok. A benefit of testing on land where we tend to have more defined borders and landmarks I suppose

Doing more testing, but so far its looking good.

FairweatherDave

Visit site
With Anchor Pro on android my son has been traumatised by the alarm going off.....many details being left out, but first time this year I decided I wanted to use it and he really didn't want me too. So I didn't. Essentially I couldn't remember the tricks needed to avoid false alarms, eg the phone going into low power mode and switching off GPS reception. I think I have got it right now for next time, which will be plug the phone in to usb to be always on charge and set the screen to never go to sleep. Is that what others do?

jlavery

Visit site
With Anchor Pro on android my son has been traumatised by the alarm going off.....many details being left out, but first time this year I decided I wanted to use it and he really didn't want me too. So I didn't. Essentially I couldn't remember the tricks needed to avoid false alarms, eg the phone going into low power mode and switching off GPS reception. I think I have got it right now for next time, which will be plug the phone in to usb to be always on charge and set the screen to never go to sleep. Is that what others do?
Yes, that's what I do

onesea

Visit site
With Anchor Pro on android my son has been traumatised by the alarm going off.....
Don’t start me on Random alarms, recently installed various electronics. Including AIS with NMEA Wifi. It took a couple of weeks to get it all properly installed with new panels instrument shelf and the day job as well.
Every so often we got a “Random” alarm, bloody thing could we find it? smoke Alarm? Voltage Alarm? We tried all sorts. Turned out it was the AIS Collison alarm on a tablet that I had pre installed software but had not bothered setting up yet.
If a boat cam round the bend on a different approach it set it off it took days to work out. As it went of for amoment and we just could not trace.

ylop

Visit site
After a couple fo hours working I'd forgotten that I was testing something and had used the phone for several other things. Even on a couple of occasions making and taking telephone calls. So when I went for a walk down the road I was initially puzzled why my phone was making an alarm sound. On checking, I was exactly on the line on the map between ok and not-ok. A benefit of testing on land where we tend to have more defined borders and landmarks I suppose

Doing more testing, but so far its looking good.
I think half the time I’ve set it, I’ve forgotten to cancel it in the morning and then soon after we’ve hauled the anchor in I hear a screeching from down below. My brain still assumes it’s an engine cooling alarm or something!

Mark-1

Visit site
With Anchor Pro on android my son has been traumatised by the alarm going

That's me.

I've got a bilge keeler in an area with no rocks so I'm not that anxious about dragging.

I *am* anxious at that mind shattering alarm going off.

...but if it wasn't such a brutal alarm it wouldn't wake me.

I use it when I feel like it which is about half of the time.

Sandydog2

Visit site
I *am* anxious at that mind shattering alarm going off.

...but if it wasn't such a brutal alarm it wouldn't wake me.
Even the free version let's you choose an alarm sound. I can't bear the default. I also use the sector alarm so that I won't be woken just because the boat has swung a bit in a safe direction. The free advanced settings also let you set an alarm delay, which helps a lot with false alarms when the GPS gets a momentary false fix.