Lifeboat conversions a cautionary tale

veshengro

Visit site
The replacement of the old wooden Clinker built ship's Lifeboats had, I think, just begun in earnest about 1960 when I first went to sea. The relatively new Fibre glass processes for boat building had become established and met the safety regulations etc: as required.
A indicator to me was, I joined one of Haines Steamship Company Tramps in the West India Dock and her wooden boats were on the Dockside, replaced by new fibre glass boats, two had petrol/paraffin engines and horror of horrors, the after boats had that weird Fleming gear! For those unfamiliar with that sea going oddity it was a system for the boat's occupants to propel the boat by push/pulling a sort of gear stick, one for each occupant. All connected to coupling shafts running thwartships in the bilge and thence to a kind of gear which turned a propellor. An advantage was even people unable to pull an oar could push/pull the joystick and provide power to move the boat. An absolute lash up which died a quick death as more boats became engine powered.

A bit off track that last, but the whole lubberly system still upsets me 64 years later... 🤣 🤣

Wansworth

Visit site
On one coaster whilst anchored in Kinsale I thought it a good idea to launch the lifeboat.I cleared the operation with the skipper.Sothe three crew plus me plus the cook spent the best part of two days getting the clinker boat in the water which to our dismay took o too much water to garante getting to the pub.Once backinits cradle the skipper berated me for taking too long…….as relief mate I pointed out it was the regular mate that shouldkeeep things in working order!

veshengro

Visit site
The ship's boats and Davits on some of those old Coasters had so much paint on them they needed chipping free of the chocks, just to allow it to be lifted by the boat falls for launching. 😊