Launching a dinghy in Salcombe

jhr

jamesrichardsonconsultants.co.uk
We're staying ashore in Salcombe this summer, for the first time in ten years or more. I'm planning to take our inflatable with us (Bombard AX3, 2.3 metres -ish) and outboard, so that we can pootle around the harbour, over to Mill Bay/East Portlemouth and even, if we're feeling really ambitious, up to Kingsbridge with the tide. I know that we can launch the dinghy at the Batson Creek slipway, but I have a recollection of another slipway (Whitestrand?) in the centre of town, close to the Harbourmaster's Office and the ferry jetty.

Is this correct? I know that parking there would be a pain and am contemplating getting a cheap trolley because we're staying close to the centre of town and it would be possible to lug the dinghy and outboard from the house to the slipway, then unpack, inflate with the footpump and go off on our merry way.

I know we have to pay harbour dues, but will we be stung for launching fees as well? Any other useful info?

TIA

gjgm

Visit site
We're staying ashore in Salcombe this summer, for the first time in ten years or more. I'm planning to take our inflatable with us (Bombard AX3, 2.3 metres -ish) and outboard, so that we can pootle around the harbour, over to Mill Bay/East Portlemouth and even, if we're feeling really ambitious, up to Kingsbridge with the tide. I know that we can launch the dinghy at the Batson Creek slipway, but I have a recollection of another slipway (Whitestrand?) in the centre of town, close to the Harbourmaster's Office and the ferry jetty.

Is this correct? I know that parking there would be a pain and am contemplating getting a cheap trolley because we're staying close to the centre of town and it would be possible to lug the dinghy and outboard from the house to the slipway, then unpack, inflate with the footpump and go off on our merry way.

I know we have to pay harbour dues, but will we be stung for launching fees as well? Any other useful info?

TIA
The harbour Office is now really friendly and helpful, I have found. Might be worth checking with them anyway.. I noticed that all tenders on the tender pontoon needed mothership name tattoo'd, or else.. and in fairness the harbour office, summer is probably madness and needs some discipline at certian times for the good of all.
Last couple of years it has been FAB there, so hope you enjoy it too.