Hard-wiring nmea 0183 to android tablet?

alisdair4

midnightdrifter.net
I currently have an ancient laptop at the chart table.It is fed by the boat's GPS, AIS(by NASA) and NAVTEX ( also NASA) through serial to USB adapters. The laptop is on the way out- frequently freezing and going to BSOD.
Obviously, I could replace this, although I wince at the price for a new 12" one, and really don't want to buy a Windows 8 machine.

I have an Android tablet with built-in GPS, and note that the Navionics chart package for this is less than 40 quid for UK waters. This may offer a much cheaper alternative than replacing the boat laptop.

Is it possible to hard-wire the AIS and / or the NAVTEX into the Android tablet via a USB to Android adapter?

I realise that one can buy wireless adapters for AIS etc, but would prefer not to do this if I can avoid it.

alisdair4

midnightdrifter.net
Tudor,

thanks for the suggestion. The issue however is not how to stop the old laptop BSODing, but how to connect the existing on-board electronics to Android. The Android tablet is only a few months old - the laptop is 2005 vintage..!

I was having BSOD with my not so old PC on board connected with ancient serial usb converters. All cured by buying a brand new serial to usb lead from amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aten-UC232A-USB-Serial-Converter/dp/B000J3OK7C

TudorSailor

Last edited:

findus

Visit site
2 issues....

I currently have an ancient laptop at the chart table.It is fed by the boat's GPS, AIS(by NASA) and NAVTEX ( also NASA) through serial to USB adapters. The laptop is on the way out- frequently freezing and going to BSOD.
Obviously, I could replace this, although I wince at the price for a new 12" one, and really don't want to buy a Windows 8 machine.

I have an Android tablet with built-in GPS, and note that the Navionics chart package for this is less than 40 quid for UK waters. This may offer a much cheaper alternative than replacing the boat laptop.

Is it possible to hard-wire the AIS and / or the NAVTEX into the Android tablet via a USB to Android adapter?

I realise that one can buy wireless adapters for AIS etc, but would prefer not to do this if I can avoid it.

I think, you have 2 issues: hardware and software.
Navionics on Android is not supporting AIS. I had it running on my tablet but the software does not allow you to input any external data.
The second question is: how do you get for instance the AIS data into your tablet. You could use a serial to USB converter but I doubt, that you will find one which works under Android as you will need a driver for it. Even if you would use Bluetooth (AIS->serial->bluetooth) you still need the software to be able to use the BT and also understand the AIS data.

I almost think it might be simpler to use some old laptop, connect all the hardware to it and run the navigation software. You can then mirror the desktop on a tablet. Works great, I tried it with Linuxmint and an Android tablet.

Good luck!

Findus

mrming

instagram.com
One problem I can see with this approach is that there doesn't seem to be an Android chart plotter app that supports AIS overlays. According to Navionics own FAQ, their Android tablet app doesn't support any external data sources. So the first question is, do you have in mind an app (or a combination of apps) that definitely offers the functionality you need?

On the question of hardwiring multiple serial connections to one Android tablet, I would say it's not easy without a particularly spectacular kludge involving 2 or 3 devices.

It's much easier to get the data in via wifi, and there are plenty of marine multiplexers that will do this, but they are not cheap - I use the DMK Box with an iPad. The advantage of the iPad over Android (currently) is that iNavX is a much more sophisticated chart plotter app than Navionics.

Am I right in thinking that your current setup involves multiple serial to USB adapters to get the data into the PC? If so your PC is in effect acting like a kind of multiplexer. Most Android tablets only have one USB port for a start, so I think a cheap netbook might be a better option. I find a tablet based system good, but it definitely wasn't cheap by the time I bought a multiplexer, iPad and a waterproof case.

Last edited:

laika

Visit site
+1 to all mrming says. Your problem is not "can it be done" (it can, see:
http://code.google.com/p/android-serialport-api/wiki/android_to_rs232_guideline?tm=6
) .. but what software is going to be reading data over serial and doing anything useful with it.
Cheap/second hand laptop: You can use it as a bridge for wifi data to the tablet or run software to repeat the display (I don't have a tablet, but NigelMercier has posted about display repeating).
You can also build a homebrew less-than-industrial-quality nmea to wiress device for less than 50 quid from a rapsberry pi and a usb wireless dongle, but the laptop approach might be easier.

alisdair4

midnightdrifter.net
Mrming,

I am currently using a USB 4-port splitter to get the 3 signals (GPS, AIS and NAVTEX) into the laptop. I had thought of doing something similar to get the data into the Android, but did not realise that there was no AIS overlay for Navionics on Android.

As I already have a plotter on deck, all I was seeking to achieve was a backup at the nav station (I currently run Seapro, but the charts are getting dated (2011). Thus a wireless solution would not really be a benefit (and while if I used the laptop as a multiplexer it would answer the mail on getting the data onto a tablet, it is one extra thing to go wrong/break. So it looks like another laptop may be the way to go..! Without drifting my own thread, are there any cheapish alternatives to Seapro which integrate AIS and NAVTEX?

One problem I can see with this approach is that there doesn't seem to be an Android chart plotter app that supports AIS overlays. According to Navionics own FAQ, their Android tablet app doesn't support any external data sources. So the first question is, do you have in mind an app (or a combination of apps) that definitely offers the functionality you need?

On the question of hardwiring multiple serial connections to one Android tablet, I would say it's not easy without a particularly spectacular kludge involving 2 or 3 devices.

It's much easier to get the data in via wifi, and there are plenty of marine multiplexers that will do this, but they are not cheap - I use the DMK Box with an iPad. The advantage of the iPad over Android (currently) is that iNavX is a much more sophisticated chart plotter app than Navionics.

Am I right in thinking that your current setup involves multiple serial to USB adapters to get the data into the PC? If so your PC is in effect acting like a kind of multiplexer. Most Android tablets only have one USB port for a start, so I think a cheap netbook might be a better option. I find a tablet based system good, but it definitely wasn't cheap by the time I bought a multiplexer, iPad and a waterproof case.

www.bavariayacht.info

laika

Visit site

The one problem I found with the startech ones is that they incorrectly handle parity errors, reporting an error not only for the erroneous byte but for a subsequent non-erroneous one too. As they were going to send me a fixed one when they'd updated their products but I never heard from them again, I assume this is still not fixed. Not a problem for most users, but is if you're trying to do tricksy things with seatalk

Thebastidge

Visit site
Anybody still working on this idea?

I am relatively new to the marine electronics realm, but I am inheriting the problems that came with my wife :)

She (now we) has a 2001 Bayliner 2655 Ciera purchased in Virginia (we are on the opposite coast in the Columbia River), with an old Garmin nav chart plotter (the obsolete, difficult-to-find card to update our charts with modern, local charts is a significant portion of the cost of a new chart plotter), and a Standard Horizon GX1500S marine VHF radio. Our stereo system is a standard car stereo installed inside the cabin with a bluetooth remote control. Two problems have cropped up.

1. The USB port on the stereo system (although designed for use with iPods) doesn't work correctly with her iPhone which she uses primarily for music content, storage, and streaming audio
2. Our marine VHF radio just crapped out on us this weekend. It appears to be a problem with squelch where the SQL circuit is turned up all the way, not allowing any audio to the speaker, and it's not responding to the controls to turn squelch limiting down

So I have resolved to replace some gear with something more modern, feature rich, and integrated.

I am considering a dash-mount Android-based (5.1 Lollipop) car stereo system at the pilot station

This has an integrated GPS receiver/antenna, digital AM/FM radio, both WiFi and Bluetooth integrated comms/remote control for use with iPhone and Android phones/tablets, updates to the Android system itself, and access to the Android app store for adding functionality.

Because it is not a marine grade system, I would add a splash cover.

The specific naivgation/chart plotter app would be OpenCPN for Android.

I am not sure yet if I am going to try to get our Standard Horizon repaired or replaced. But I plan on something with a similar feature set to include AIS, DSC, and Maritime Mobile Service Identity (MMSI)

I'm also an Amateur Radio operator (KF7PCW) so I'm interested in nerdy options that integrate with Ham radio too.

Any advice, lessons learned, pitfalls to avoid or success stories?

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Anybody still working on this idea?

You have resurrected an old thread, would have been better to have started a new one.

I am considering a dash-mount Android-based (5.1 Lollipop) car stereo system at the pilot station

This has an integrated GPS receiver/antenna, digital AM/FM radio, both WiFi and Bluetooth integrated comms/remote control for use with iPhone and Android phones/tablets, updates to the Android system itself, and access to the Android app store for adding functionality.

Because it is not a marine grade system, I would add a splash cover.

I assume this has some sort of display that you plan to use for navigation ? A link to the system in question would help. Without seeing it and knowing what it costs i'm tempted to say just buy a reasonable stereo and a stand alone tablet with integrated GPS. 10" models are peanuts.

The specific naivgation/chart plotter app would be OpenCPN for Android.

Plenty of people using this setup, so no issues there, especially as you can get free charts in the US.

I am not sure yet if I am going to try to get our Standard Horizon repaired or replaced. But I plan on something with a similar feature set to include AIS, DSC, and Maritime Mobile Service Identity (MMSI)

Time for a new one i think. DSC makes sense and all DSC units have MMSI. The Standard Horizon VHF sets with built in AIS work OK, but you have to get the AIS to the display via hard wiring. Although they have integrated displays, these are too small to be of much use. If you can't hard wire it, due to using a tablet etc, you need to use bluetooth or wifi. Harware exists to broadcast NMEA 0183 (AIS, GPS etc) via either Bluetooth or WifI.

lpdsn

Visit site
I use a Standard Horizon VHF to receive AIS data (I have a Gx2100E, but that is no longer the latest model - There's a Gx2200E with in-built GPS - and I suspect SH are not far away from releasing a VHF that is a full AIS transceiver). Anyway, the small built-in screen is usable but small and not really that convenient.

I originally went for converting the AIS data to N2k then connecting a tablet to it via WiFi, but the very cheap WiFi unit I fitted gets overloaded quite a lot so the AIS data can be slow to update.

I switched to using a direct USB link from a ShipModul box which does a lot else re multi-plexing and NMEA0183 <-> N2K conversion and is very configurable. It's a small Dutch company, so it might be easier for you to find a US equivalent. I run OpenCPN on a Windows 10 tablet to display the AIS data and am jealous of the free US charts.

However, you're Gx1500 won't be that old and I'm sure Standard Horizon could fix the problem.

Meanwhile my domestic radio is 25 years old. I was going to get one of those cheap Chinese mp3 players that broadcast short-range FM signals and are powered over USB but haven't got around to it yet. I presume the US uses the same FM band as this side of the pond.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I originally went for converting the AIS data to N2k then connecting a tablet to it via WiFi, but the very cheap WiFi unit I fitted gets overloaded quite a lot so the AIS data can be slow to update.

I run OpenCPN on a Windows 10 tablet

I didn't think OpenCPN would read N2K data ?

PaulRainbow

Visit site
It doesn't. The N2K version of the vYacht WiFi converts N2K PGNs to NMEA0183 before broadcasting them. I suspect it might be that conversion that's overloading it.

Ah yes, could be. I'm still using the vYacht wifi but i don't have much connected to it. It also won't do the NMEA to N2K conversions for AIS, i have to feed it NMEA0183 AIS.

lpdsn

Visit site
Ah yes, could be. I'm still using the vYacht wifi but i don't have much connected to it. It also won't do the NMEA to N2K conversions for AIS, i have to feed it NMEA0183 AIS.

It's a separate vYacht version for N2K, but it'll only convert from N2K. I think the biggest problem with mine is that the EV-1 churns out huge numbers of HDG & ROT (PGNs 127250 & 127251) and the vYacht box tried to process them all. It seems to handle one message type at a time then tries to catch up on the queue of the next message type, with the result that the AIS messages seem to overflow the queue and go missing.

I wish I'd just bought the ShipModul Miniplex with everything on (I got N2K+USB, but should've got WiFi too). It sensibly allows you to apply a filter to cut down the numbers of any particular type of message.

Thebastidge

Visit site
I assume this has some sort of display that you plan to use for navigation ? A link to the system in question would help. Without seeing it and knowing what it costs i'm tempted to say just buy a reasonable stereo and a stand alone tablet with integrated GPS. 10" models are peanuts.

Odd, I did include all relevant links, but the forum appears to have stripped them out, possibly due to me being a newbie here.

GA6153W Android 5.1.1 Quad-Core 8″ Multimedia Car GPS with Mutual Control EasyConnection (Without DVD Function)
http://www.eonon.com/Android-Car-GPS/Vehicle-Specific-GPS/GA6153W.html ($289-$319)

The Android multimedia head above has an 8" touchscreen display, native support for all common video formats, GPS rcvr + antenna and support for a variety of navigational applications, audio/video inputs and outputs for multiple mirrored displays (think main dash plus backseats of a minivan), microphone, phone/tablet bluetooth tethering for remote control of the radio and other functions, integrated WiFi for OS updates, media transfer, and even use as a WiFi hub for guests (if I add a 4G gateway, which wouldn't be hard), lots of other features. Even with no integration to the VHF radio and AIS it's a pretty neat solution for a small boat like ours, I think. We only boat on the Columbia and Willamette rivers, with our single small block V8 gas engine we don't cross the bar on the Columbia. This boat has never been in the salt and we'll probably keep it that way.

Maxomation Motorparts Double Din Splash Gaurd ($149.99)
http://europeantoysstore.com/produc...ver-double-din-for-motorcycles-cars-boats-and

After I'd posted I was reading about the ShipModul multiplexor with USB output. The Android multimedia box I'm looking at accepts USB inputs (two whips) so I'm thinking one with a covered bulkhead fitting for external flash drive and one for a USB hbi behind the cockpit panel to accept output from the ShipModul for CAN Bus info (probably NMEA 2000/N2k since that seems to be the latest standard, but if there's no support for it I'm not sure. More research, I suppose. We have all analog gauges currently (ba dump), but when I was researching adding a fuel flow meter, it sure seems I could benefit from a CAN Bus for adding some more info to our cockpit. The gear lube low level alarm, engine overtemp alarm, engine stall alarm, basically anything wrong is exactly the same piercing sound, which doesn't help much with troubleshooting quickly. I'm already looking into replacing some switches and gauges on the cockpit panel anyway, due to some lights out and generally worn condition.

We have two versions of the little 1/4w FM transmitters. One is powered by a 12v power point (cigarette lighter) outlet, the other one charges from mini-usb to a small lithium battery. They work pretty well for raft-ups, if people like your music. :cool: We use them for camping too, since they're super portable. The battery powered one is about the size of a small pack of gum, with a 1/8" jack sticking out one side. Roughly the width and thickness (and style) of an iPhone 4s , 5s or SE, but only about half an inch high. Plugs right into the headphone jack of same.

Thebastidge

Visit site
I just did a quick read on the vYacht WiFi. I don't think I need that since I'm such a small boat, can probably wire the NMEA backbone for reasonable labor and considerably lower cost. I was just planning to get the AIS messages from the VHF over to the ShipModul multiplexor and come out USB to the display unit. Are you saying that the N2k formatted messages won't be read by OpenCPN (only NMEA 0183)?

EV-1 churns out huge numbers of HDG & ROT (PGNs 127250 & 127251)

This is all autopilot stuff, yeah?

PaulRainbow

Visit site
It's a separate vYacht version for N2K, but it'll only convert from N2K. I think the biggest problem with mine is that the EV-1 churns out huge numbers of HDG & ROT (PGNs 127250 & 127251) and the vYacht box tried to process them all. It seems to handle one message type at a time then tries to catch up on the queue of the next message type, with the result that the AIS messages seem to overflow the queue and go missing.

I wish I'd just bought the ShipModul Miniplex with everything on (I got N2K+USB, but should've got WiFi too). It sensibly allows you to apply a filter to cut down the numbers of any particular type of message.

Mine takes 0183 and N2K, multiplexes and coverts to 0183. But, if it is fed N2K AIS it screws the conversion up. Bernd tinkered around with it then seems to have lost interest, shame as it could have been so much better with a little more work. It does what i need of it for now. Ideally i'd like to keep everything N2K, but then OpenCPN won't work. Will have a rethink sometime next year. The ShipModul stuff is really good, i used to have one of their Bluetooth multiplexors.